Strategies to turn around a losing, aging dynasty team?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
captainjack
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Strategies to turn around a losing, aging dynasty team?

Postby captainjack » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:54 am

I started fantasy or even following football since 2014, and I have loved playing the game, analysis the games week to week. In my dynasty league I have won in my 2nd year, and hitting rock bottom in year 4. Now that I am in year 5, I have gone from 2-3 to 7-4, turning the season around. I am curious on strategies others use to turn around a losing, aging roster?

My league background
as you can see from my sig, we have a huge dynasty league with more than 300 players rostered in a standard league. Many of the strategies I have seen online couldn't really work in mine, as quality in the waiver-wire in the RB position ran razor thin. Our league also has two superteams, one of them has OBJ/Hill/Evans/B.Cook/Gurley/D. Johnson and another has Julio/Keenan Allen/Dez. Bryant/Ingram/Mccoy/Ertz.

By the end of year 2, I had L. Bell as my only startable RB and an aging Brees. The only strength was my WR position, but it was not enough to compete with the superteams.

Here are some of the strategies I have used to semi-blow up my roster in year 2. I am still an amateur, so some of these might just be stupid strategies.
1. trading away Bell for 3 1st round picks to the super team. This trade felt like Thunders trading Durant to the Warriors. This trade essentially guaranteed I have no startable RB in year 3 or 4. It was painful, but I felt it was necessary to rebuild the RB lineup with youth. Eventually, I turned the three 1st rd pick to Joe Mixon, R. Freeman, and D. Guice.
2. Drafting P. Mahomes and M. Trubisky. Brees was aging and I knew I had to rebuild my QB lineup. I drafted P. Mahomes first, and then drafted Trubisky afterwards. The strategy was to stack draft young QBs, and wait for production to come later.
3. Drafted George Kittle in 3rd round of rookie draft. Ebron and Njoku were inconsistent and had trouble with drops. I drafted Kittle with the strategy that the most important part for TE in my opinion was volume of targets, route running, and a proven offensive coach. Both of these Kittle had. I passed up on Trey Burton to draft George Kittle.
4. trading the 2018 rookie 1.2 for A. Cooper. The strategy to get Cooper was because he was due for an extension in the short term, and it was the lowest buy-in point at the summer time for a stud WR. I know A. Cooper is still viewed as bust, and I bought Cooper knowing he would struggle with Carr. From tapes I have watched, the route running is still as crisp as ever with Cooper, just that Carr is no longer a NFL level QB.
Standard - 10 team dynasty league - 30 roster spot
QB: P. Mahomes, D. Brees
RB: J. Mixon, J. White, A. Peterson, D. Guice, R. Freeman, I. Smith, E. Mcguire, A. Ekeler, S. Ware
WR: D. Hopkins, AJ Green, A. Jeffery, A. Cooper, M. Jones, MSV, D. Westbrook, C. Godwin, J. Washington, J. Reynold
TE: G. Kittle, E. Ebron, D. Njoku
K: A. Vinatieri
DEF: LA Chargers

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Re: Strategies to turn around a losing, aging dynasty team?

Postby grandmabetty » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:59 am

you are doing about the only thing I can think of to turn around a team. Sell of your aging studs while they still have value and look to build for the future. One other strategy I have used to great success is buying low on injured players. Last year I traded for Aaron Rodgers and DJ for less than market value knowing I wouldn't reep the benefits until a year from now. this can be a good tactic to get good players on the cheap. Hunter Henry and Guice are prime targets for this strategy right now. I would also be sure to have a good pulse on your leaguemates. Know who is desperate to get to that next level and understand who you might be able to take advantage of in a trade. Good Luck. Dysnasty is the best!

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:15 am

Other than the cooper deal I love it all
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:41 pm

captainjack wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:54 am 3. Drafted George Kittle in 3rd round of rookie draft. Ebron and Njoku were inconsistent and had trouble with drops. I drafted Kittle with the strategy that the most important part for TE in my opinion was volume of targets, route running, and a proven offensive coach. Both of these Kittle had. I passed up on Trey Burton to draft George Kittle.
As someone who passed up on Kittle to draft Burton. Why you gotta rub this in my face..... :boohoo:
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Durant was not traded to the warriors. He chose them as a free agent.

captainjack
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby captainjack » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:05 am

MrUbuto wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:15 am Other than the cooper deal I love it all
:boohoo:
Standard - 10 team dynasty league - 30 roster spot
QB: P. Mahomes, D. Brees
RB: J. Mixon, J. White, A. Peterson, D. Guice, R. Freeman, I. Smith, E. Mcguire, A. Ekeler, S. Ware
WR: D. Hopkins, AJ Green, A. Jeffery, A. Cooper, M. Jones, MSV, D. Westbrook, C. Godwin, J. Washington, J. Reynold
TE: G. Kittle, E. Ebron, D. Njoku
K: A. Vinatieri
DEF: LA Chargers

koalabear
Captain
Captain

Postby koalabear » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:17 am

Gotta hit on your fair share of rookie draft picks right? First round busts kill a rebuilding team.

I like to focus on acquiring young WRs first, have an eye out for cheap TEs on the waiver wire who might hit, trade for or draft a young QB and then draft RBs through rookie drafts towards the end of the rebuilding process.
1. 12 team 1pt PPR. Start 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE. Yr 7
QB: Murray, Stafford
RB: Dobbins, Sanders, Pearce
WR: Jefferson, Burks, JuJu
TE: Goedert, Everett
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

2. 12 team 1pt PPR. Start 1 QB, 2-4 RB, 3-5 WR, 1-3 TE. Yr 6.
QB: Jackson, Allen
RB: Akers, CEH
WR: Chase, M Brown, Pittman, M Williams
TE: Tonyan, Hooper
2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

3. 12 team superflex, PPR (WR/RB/TE 1/1.25/1.5). Start 1-2 QB, 1-7 RB, WR, TE. Yr 5.
QB: Jackson, Prescott, Brady
RB: Singletary, Harris
WR: Jefferson, Adams, Burks, Evans, Lockett
TE: Hockenson
2023: 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:25 am

This feels more like a brag post than one to actually ask for advice

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:06 am

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:25 am This feels more like a brag post than one to actually ask for advice
Lol drafting good players and making good trades are always good strategies

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:13 pm

As for strategy if you're completely turning a team over, I recommend this:

Trade down in drafts. Trade for future capital. Trading down multiple times in the same draft will net you the largest gains in the future.

Find the longest playing positions of relevancy first. So, draft young QB's a tad earlier than you might, but do this initially (typically in the 2nd round of standard/PPR leagues). Then find your WR's/TE's. And once you have a good core of talent there, concentrate on finding your stud RB's.

But, that doesn't mean draft a WR at 1.1 unless there is one worthy of that pick. Few positions gain in value faster than RB's. So, drafting a young stud early in a draft, ride him mid way through a season and try to sell for peak value turning that one 1st round pick into multiple first round picks.

Of course, all of this is easier said than done. The most important thing is to be patient on young players, analyze players carefully and put in the work necessary to find the gems in the rough. Target the right teams for your trades. Know which teams value draft picks more than others, while also knowing which teams value proven production more than draft picks.

Be the "broker" in your league that is always trying to be the "middle man" in your league by trading draft picks to the teams who value them more and then turn around and trade established players for draft picks to those teams who need those players...while coming out ahead in the end.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

smoger45
Role Player
Role Player

Postby smoger45 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:13 am

I usually alternate between going RB in the first one year and then WR first the next year. It def depends on what pos is deeper. Dont go early on QB wait until the 2nd or 3rd rd. I know in my league almost every year RB's go off the board first and then WR.
16 team 30 man PPR High scoring format.
QB/WR/WR/RB/RB/WR|TE flex
D/D/DB/DB/DL/LB/LB/LB/CB
Completions .5
Passing Yards 15 yards per point
Passing Touchdowns 10
Interceptions -4
Rushing Attempts .5
Rushing Yards 5
yards per point Rushing Touchdowns 10 Receptions 1
Receiving Yards 4 yards per point
Receiving Touchdowns 10
Return Touchdowns 20
2-Point Conversions 3
Fumbles Lost -4
Offensive Fumble Return TD 20
Kickers
Field Goals
0-19 Yards 5 20-29 Yards 6 30-39 Yards 8 40-49 Yards 12 50+ Yards 15
Point After Attempt Made 2

QB. D. Jones, Herbert,
RB. D. Pearce, M. Gordon, N. Harris D. Singletary, Jamal Williams, Ty Johnson
WR. A. Cooper, Djax, Marquise Brown, OBJ, E. Moore, Duvernay, V. Jones
TE Z. Ertz, D. Waller
K W. Lutz
LB J. Baker, Mykal, Pratt, J.Phillips
DE C. Jordan, B. Burns
CB T. Diggs, K. Gordon, P. Adebo
S T. Edmunds, A. Winfield Jr. Marcus Williams

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:24 pm

One strategy I've found that helps is trading bad players for really good ones