Thoughts on this situation

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
snaps06
Captain
Captain

Re: Thoughts on this situation

Postby snaps06 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:20 pm

As my profile pic obviously implies I'm super against vetoes, but this is a veto-worthy scenario. The guy getting Henry either needs to pay next year's fee or accept the fact that his roster is locked and the Henry-Bell trade is reversed.
Team 1: 12-Team 0.5 PPR '16 & '17 3rd, '20 2nd Place
REBUILD STARTED 2019
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex Flex
Kyler,Stafford,Herbert
Zeke,Sanders,Swift,Moss,Robinson,Mattison,Gio
Cooper,Juju,AJB,Reagor,Ruggs,Mims,Kirk,Bateman,Moore
Kelce,Henry
2022: 2,3,4

Team 2: 12-Team 0.5 PPR '17 & '20 2nd Place
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex
Rodgers,Stafford
Zeke,Conner,Robinson,Dillon,CEvans,Mattison,Edmonds,Davis
Hopkins,Thomas,Woods,Cooks,Toney,MWilliams,
Kittle,Henry,Freier
2022:1,1,2,3,4

Team 3: 14-Team SF,PPR,0.25/rush '18 3rd Place, 2020 Champ :dance:
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex Flex SFlex
Cousins,Kyler,Carr,Trask
Jacobs,Gibson,Robinson,LMurray,Ingram,Moss,Gio,SScott
Evans,Nuk,DJM,Boyd,Davis
Fant,Hooper,Gronk
2022:2,4
2023:1,1,2,3,4

Team 4: 12-TeamSF,0.5PPR,TE1PPR 2020 Champ :dance:
QB RB RB WR WR WR TE FLEX FLEX SFlex
Allen,Tanny,Cam,MacJones
Taylor,Akers,Montgomery,Gibson,Robinson,Harris,McKissic,SScott
DKM,Evans,Juju,Cooks,MWilliams,Trequan
Engram,Hurst,Gronk,Long

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:22 pm

I would even venture to say that this was a trade out of spite to the next owner and to the league. Seems he is kind of a dbag across multiple leagues. It wouldn’t surprise me if he was the type of owner who would try to intentionally screw the team up for the next owner...trade away all the good pieces for pennies on the dollar...and make it that much harder for the new owner.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Honestly, I think that y'all are missing something big here.

In dynasty leagues, you have to pre-pay by one year. Non-negotiable. Is that this case in this league? If so, then there no problem at all with this trade. He's trading a future asset for a win-now asset. And, if has pre-paid, then who cares if he leaves? If you find a replacement owner, then all is good. If you don't, then he doesn't get his money back. It's his own cash that will serve as his check-and-balance. (For reference, I am closing in on trading away A. Jones for Kupp to a desperate win-now owner. Should we be kicked out??)

If there is no pre-paid option, then you brought this on the league yourselves. Chalk it up as a learning lesson.

Moreover, you cannot block this trade. He paid his money for this year and he is making a move to compete THIS year. If you do block the trade, then the league owes him a refund.

Look, I hate dealing with a--holes in my leagues, too. The time to deal with them, though, is the off-season. Once they've paid, they have bought the right to play.

Finally, if the only reason that you're blocking this trade is because he said that he is leaving, then the message received will be NOT to be up front with the league telling you that he's planning for this year to be his last. In that case, it would be even worse: he'd be trading the future and then jumping ship to everyone's surprise.

Sorry, but I think that you're all looking at this the wrong way.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:50 pm

moishetreats wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:24 pm Honestly, I think that y'all are missing something big here.

In dynasty leagues, you have to pre-pay by one year. Non-negotiable. Is that this case in this league? If so, then there no problem at all with this trade. He's trading a future asset for a win-now asset. And, if has pre-paid, then who cares if he leaves? If you find a replacement owner, then all is good. If you don't, then he doesn't get his money back. It's his own cash that will serve as his check-and-balance. (For reference, I am closing in on trading away A. Jones for Kupp to a desperate win-now owner. Should we be kicked out??)

If there is no pre-paid option, then you brought this on the league yourselves. Chalk it up as a learning lesson.

Moreover, you cannot block this trade. He paid his money for this year and he is making a move to compete THIS year. If you do block the trade, then the league owes him a refund.

Look, I hate dealing with a--holes in my leagues, too. The time to deal with them, though, is the off-season. Once they've paid, they have bought the right to play.

Finally, if the only reason that you're blocking this trade is because he said that he is leaving, then the message received will be NOT to be up front with the league telling you that he's planning for this year to be his last. In that case, it would be even worse: he'd be trading the future and then jumping ship to everyone's surprise.

Do you really think the Kupp for Jones is a comparable situation? If so, we will agree to disagree.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:20 pm

That owner sounds like a douche-nozzle.

Once his intentions to leave the league were announced, his trades need to be watched over and vetoable.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:40 pm

moishetreats wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:24 pm Honestly, I think that y'all are missing something big here.

Every league I'm part of and know of through others does not require payment of future seasons unless draft picks have been moved, otherwise payment is due prior to beginning of the rookie draft. The only exception being new leagues and paying for the first two seasons of the league to help maintain continuity during the start of the league. So it is definitely not out of the norm to have an owner not paid up for the following season.

After seeing further information from OP this trade is obviously a malicious move by a notoriously difficult owner with the intent of causing chaos in the league on his way out. He's throwing a tantrum and quitting the league over not getting his way with getting a rule bent in his favor. You don't get your money back for being a dick, he can play out the rest of the season and if he earns a payout under league rules then he gets it, if not he gets nothing. Either way his involvement and further investment in the league is over.

And your trade is an irrelevant comparison. For one it's pretty much even on value anyway but that doesn't matter much, second and more importantly you are both commited players to the league and will be around next year so are free to what you want with your trade. I'm on record in this thread saying that the trade should be allowed to go through if the Bell owner committed and paid for next season, but I guarantee he wouldn't do that trade if he had to live with the future consequences of it, which he doesn't seeing as he's leaving.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:48 pm

joeday wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Do you really think the Kupp for Jones is a comparable situation? If so, we will agree to disagree.
Why is it not?

I get the sense that you feel the trade itself is the problem. Not that he's leaving or that he seems to be a bit of a jerk. would the trade be fine if you didnt know he was leaving? Most dont give an advance for their departure. They just leave and ive yet to see a commish go back and undo trades that a departing owner has made prior to leaving.

As mentioned, it sounds like everyone paid for this year only. You have to let him run his team (imo) if he is in the hunt for playoffs. if not in the hunt..... Sure, just reverse it and replace now.

With bell being out.... Im not sure you/your leaguemates have much gripe. He has and will give sbsolutely nothing this year. Tough to put a general value to that. the only answer is to lock the roster if you know someone is leaving, but you'll never know when that is. Gl

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:10 pm

In September I had an owner inform 2 of his buddies that he was probably leaving the league via text.

Next day he traded Marvin Jones for D Jax and Alshon Jeffrey for a 2nd round pick to the 2 friends he told he was leaving..

I slept on it, decided to find a replacement owner ASAP since he confirmed he was leaving and agreed to refund his money as well as reversed both trades.

The principle factor being that he expressed intent to leave.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:29 pm

mullmania wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:10 pm In September I had an owner inform 2 of his buddies that he was probably leaving the league via text.

Next day he traded Marvin Jones for D Jax and Alshon Jeffrey for a 2nd round pick to the 2 friends he told he was leaving..

I slept on it, decided to find a replacement owner ASAP since he confirmed he was leaving and agreed to refund his money as well as reversed both trades.

The principle factor being that he expressed intent to leave.
Props for the refund. I think you handled it well. Certainly gotta replace if your going to reverse imo.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:53 am

If he paid up for next year's dues, let it stand. Otherwise, it can't go through.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

grooner
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby grooner » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:58 am

I am surprised how many are saying you have to veto this trade.

As others have asked, would you veto the trade if the owner didn't mention that he was leaving? if you would, then maybe it is time to just replace the owner. If me being upfront made my life more difficult, I wouldn't tell the league anything.

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:40 am

sloth8u wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:48 pm
joeday wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Why is it not?

I get the sense that you feel the trade itself is the problem. Not that he's leaving or that he seems to be a bit of a jerk. would the trade be fine if you didnt know he was leaving? Most dont give an advance for their departure. They just leave and ive yet to see a commish go back and undo trades that a departing owner has made prior to leaving.

As mentioned, it sounds like everyone paid for this year only. You have to let him run his team (imo) if he is in the hunt for playoffs. if not in the hunt..... Sure, just reverse it and replace now.

With bell being out.... Im not sure you/your leaguemates have much gripe. He has and will give sbsolutely nothing this year. Tough to put a general value to that. the only answer is to lock the roster if you know someone is leaving, but you'll never know when that is. Gl
As someone else mentioned I don't believe it is a comparable situation because neither owner has told anyone they are leaving the league and the value of those two players are much closer than Bell and Henry. I have no problem with shitty deals that are put through. I roll my eyes but realize unless its collusion it is just someone making a dumb choice. I have gotten some of those deals myself. My problem is telling the commish and a few other owners you are leaving the league then trading a valuable dynasty asset for pennies on the dollar to someone you are in other leagues with.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:59 pm

If you believe he's gifting players/bell to someone.... You have every right to raise a fuss. The problem your going to run in to is proving it. The best solution is to reverse and replace imo since he's leaving... But only if he's out of the playoff picture can that happen.

A side note here: if you do choose to protest this... I would certainly not use "value" or anything related to "player value" as your arguement. Players valued similar to bell right now are traded for a late 1st each and every year (essentially where the value of henry is). Every time a trade in these ranges were to happen... The precedent will have been set. You also know that values can turn in a hurry. Focus on this owner knowingly leaving and locking his roster in any protest.

I'll mention (since you did), owners who play multiple leagues together do tend to work out deals. It just happens.

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:12 pm

I think the combination of (a) highly unbalanced trade, (b) owner who has a history of being a dickhead and (c) owner who has expressed that he's leaving is enough for me to unwind this. If the owner wants to stick around and try to win this season that's fine, but you can't let him just run the team into the ground before he goes...the combination of (a) and (b) leads me to believe he might be doing that. Have to think about the stability of the league at that point. The issue isn't just the value, but the value is part of it. Once a guy announces he's leaving I think his trades need some level of oversight, because you need someone to be willing to take over that team. I'd have no issue with him making a win-now trade by dealing Bell for a healthy player who's maybe a bit less valuable, but to trade him for the current RB42 just reeks of a spite trade.
grooner wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:58 am I am surprised how many are saying you have to veto this trade.

As others have asked, would you veto the trade if the owner didn't mention that he was leaving? if you would, then maybe it is time to just replace the owner. If me being upfront made my life more difficult, I wouldn't tell the league anything.
Sounds more like he's being a whiny prick than being upfront.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:39 am

Is the Bell owner looking to trade him for Henry in contention? If so, I would have my doubts about vetoing. Yes, he is screwing the next owner, but if the guy is in contention AND desperate for RB help and feels Henry (of all people) will help him win a championship, then I can see letting it stand.
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.