General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
thebeast
Legend
Legend

Re: How to respond to perceived bad trades

Postby thebeast » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:12 pm

skip wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:57 pm
thebeast wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:07 pm
skip wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:50 pm If it's a bad offer, I don't give any feedback. Just reject. No discussion.
You are so cool.... but really I mean totally lame.
So you think you have to say something to every trade offer? Why? If it's that bad, there is no reason to explain to the other owner why... There is no obligation to do so. I'm not going to waste my time explaining the basics of value to an owner. I've engaged owners in the past after a bad offer and the result is I've found myself in a back and forth while they try to explain why what they are offering is sensible or even better than what I'm giving up.
Thanks for the offer, I value my guys quite a bit differently. Is that so hard? You are just assuming you’re values are universallly right, which they aren’t - no ones are. Time and again we see what we think are horrible trades completely flip. There are certainly some bad offers, but probably not as many as we think.

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:39 pm

thebeast wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:12 pm
skip wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:57 pm
thebeast wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:07 pm

You are so cool.... but really I mean totally lame.
So you think you have to say something to every trade offer? Why? If it's that bad, there is no reason to explain to the other owner why... There is no obligation to do so. I'm not going to waste my time explaining the basics of value to an owner. I've engaged owners in the past after a bad offer and the result is I've found myself in a back and forth while they try to explain why what they are offering is sensible or even better than what I'm giving up.
Thanks for the offer, I value my guys quite a bit differently. Is that so hard? You are just assuming you’re values are universallly right, which they aren’t - no ones are. Time and again we see what we think are horrible trades completely flip. There are certainly some bad offers, but probably not as many as we think.
He might mean offers like... AJG for a future 3rd. Which was a legitimate offer I was vocally offered after he got injured this season.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:42 pm

Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:37 am

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:27 pm "I really value Chubb right now and it would probably take more than what you are willing to give. Would you be willing to include Evans in the deal?"
Perfect

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:15 am

Sensible dialogue goes a long way. Communication is always key in any relationship! I nearly always respond with; Thanks for the offer, but, at this time, I'm not looking to move player x. I at times explain what I believe to be my roster's strengths / weaknesses and how that factors in on my thoughts. Some, obviously bad offers (2021 1st+ 2022 2nd for James Conner), I'll just decline with a No thanks. I don't believe I ever straight up decline without a short explanation. All owners are in different stages of understanding future pick value vs production value. Some don't understand player development curves, player contracts, positional rarity / demand, positional longevity expectations, and salary cap implications / value etc.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:14 pm

How about an offer of a projected late 2019 2nd round pick in a 16 team league for Robert woods? So... this basically means the offering owner thinks that I think that Robert Woods is worth a 2019 rookie that would slot in around 28-32. Wow. Just wow. Tough not to get snarky at times.

No thank you............ :wtf:
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:33 pm

JFever wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:14 pm How about an offer of a projected late 2019 2nd round pick in a 16 team league for Robert woods? So... this basically means the offering owner thinks that I think that Robert Woods is worth a 2019 rookie that would slot in around 28-32. Wow. Just wow. Tough not to get snarky at times.

No thank you............ :wtf:
Exactly the type of deal where you just say nothing. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all..."
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:59 pm

Simply reject the offer. Don't just let it sit there for ages. You hold the offer in contempt, but it isn't constructive to express it in that way. If he asks for feedback after you reject, then in a neutral tone, tell him how you value the pieces involved. If he doesn't ask, don't say anything. Don't need to overthink this.

Or if you want to respond in a way that validates how you feel but is still constructive, wordlessly send back a counter offer. Obviously he'll reject it since you're far apart, but this is a way to demonstrate to him how far apart you are without actually using words that might be loaded.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

badbuddah
Captain
Captain

Postby badbuddah » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:49 am

I don't get a ton of offers in my league, so I feel it is polite to try to offer up an explanation why or why not I am doing something. Being that I have had many offers that I believe are fair (many ran past this forum) straight up rejected with no explanation or allowed to expire, I know how dejected one can feel without getting closure. I think many people even dynasty veterans are stuck in an outdated mindset and unable to see trends and the future. This guy seems to be that way, and still sees QB as the highest scoring position, therefore strongest. I also don't wanna be like a guy in our league known for taking advantage of weaker owners, because now basically everyone has decided to no longer trade with him. All my offers are what I believe are fair, I don't try to rip players off, even newer ones.
12 Team UNLIMITED Keeper / 23 Roster 1.0-PPR: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB/TE, 1 K, 1 DEF 2 IR - 11th Year

QB: L. Jackson, J. Browning
RB: Aaron Jones, D'Ernest Johnson, E. Mitchell, Dalvin Cook, Jamaal Williams, Alexander Mattison, K. Miller, P. Taylor
WR: R. Doubs, G. Pickens, Christian Kirk, Juju, D. Hopkins, D. Wicks, K. Boutte
TE: Z. Ertz, C. Okonkwo, Trey McBride, Tucker Kraft
K: T. Bass, J. Moody
DEF: San Francisco