Trading for Gurley?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
fakespike13
Role Player
Role Player

Trading for Gurley?

Postby fakespike13 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:52 am

I've been thinking about trying to pair Gurley with Kamara for the ultimate RB duo, especially in a 16 team. The owner with Gurley amazingly is going to miss the playoffs and felt the bite of having literally no RB2 in a deep league (he started m. brown several times). I think I have the ammo, packaging Cook, Fournette, Trubisky (he needs qb too) and picks for Gurley and Malcolm Brown. [my team in sig]

My questions to the forum would be:
1. what are peoples experiences trading for the very very expensive top players? Gurley in particular? what did you pay?

2. whats up with Gurleys week 15 and 16 outlook, will the Rams be easing up on him? the saints win definitely helps reduce the likelihood that the Rams can rest players week 16. still would be a huge blunder to make this trade with the playoffs in mind only to have it explode in my face (this year at least)

I'm 9-1 and should have a 1st round (week 14) bye. Been winning without Cook and Fournette, but their returns should be a boost to my team, and both play the dolphins (30th ranked run D) in the fantasy playoffs, which hopefully they capitalize on. But Gurley man. Gurley.
Auesome Ekcellent
2013, 2017, 2018 Champ
16 team PPR, 20 man rosters + 10 player taxi, QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 RB/WR, TE, D, K

QB: Wilson, Mayfield, Lance, Hill
RB: Kamara, Cook, Ekeler, CEH, Akers, Mattison, Ty Johnson, Funk, Nwangwu
WR: Tyreek, McLaurin, Diontae Johnson, Aiyuk, Golladay, Chark, Edwards, Shenault, Palmer, Dyami
TE: Kittle, Thomas

2022: 1,2,3,4,5

Irrational Integers
12 team SF
QB: Prescott, Watson, Minshew, D Jones, Newton
RB: Swift, J Williams, Akers, Cordarrelle, Mitchell
WR: Waddle, E Moore, Claypool, Patterson, R Moore, Bourne, Callaway, Treadwell
TE: Goedert, Shultz, Tonyan, Moreau, Parham

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Trading for Gurley?

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:49 am

Offer Fournette, Diggs, Kittle and a 1st and see if he'll bite.

My experience is that if you're buying high on someone, don't get cute. Offer the best possible deal you can, otherwise you're wasting time. Fournette, Cook and Trubisky isn't a strong offer to me, especially in a 1QB league. You just have to accept that you'll have to make an undeniable offer.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:22 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:49 am Offer Fournette, Diggs, Kittle and a 1st and see if he'll bite.

My experience is that if you're buying high on someone, don't get cute. Offer the best possible deal you can, otherwise you're wasting time. Fournette, Cook and Trubisky isn't a strong offer to me, especially in a 1QB league. You just have to accept that you'll have to make an undeniable offer.
I disagree in a 16 team league, depth gets hard to come by and this is two potential RB1s when they get healthy and a top 16 (probably better) QB is a strong offer imo. Comes down to the other guys faith in LF and Cook, but this could very easily become a massive win for the other guy as early as next year, while giving OP a massive boost this year while still keeping him atrong for years to come. Maybe throw in your '19 1st to add a cherry on top, it's hopefully going to be 16th overall anyway.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:29 am

Man, Gurley is special but I'd hate to pay the price for him. Sending both Fournette and Cook would be a hit to your depth, but I guess you'd be OK with Duke and Collins (really starting to wonder if Thomson has fallen off the cliff already). You could probably survive without Diggs as well, and your starting lineup would be beastly. I like Kittle a lot. I think he could be a difference making TE. Gurley is an absolute stud, but I'm not sure if the other losses would cancel out the benefit he brings...

My other concern is that you are selling really low on Fournette and Cook. Neither one will match Gurley even if they get healthy, but either one could be pretty close...
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 am

I like the idea of getting Gurley a lot, but I think you're starting off way too strong. I'd try something like LF/Cook for Gurley+. Don't undervalue your own backs.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:11 am

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:22 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:49 am Offer Fournette, Diggs, Kittle and a 1st and see if he'll bite.

I disagree in a 16 team league, depth gets hard to come by and this is two potential RB1s when they get healthy and a top 16 (probably better) QB is a strong offer imo. Comes down to the other guys faith in LF and Cook, but this could very easily become a massive win for the other guy as early as next year, while giving OP a massive boost this year while still keeping him atrong for years to come. Maybe throw in your '19 1st to add a cherry on top, it's hopefully going to be 16th overall anyway.
I'm not a big believer in Cook long-term currently. Gurley is on pace to be a league winner for the second season in a row. So, even in 16 teamer, he's still a big advantage. It'd have to be a loaded depth deal to move him.

dynastynoob1
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby dynastynoob1 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:48 am

I agree that these high value trades require a serious starting offer to make it happen. I bought Zeke earlier this year and had tried on several occasions to get it done for Fournette and a late first. Unsurprisingly, the other owner never gave it much thought and told me to shove it. I gave it some time and came back and told him my top dollar offer would be Fournette and Chubb. This got his attention and we agreed to the deal the same day.
10 Team Standard League

QB: Rodgers, Big Ben
RB: Zeke, Mixon, AP, Guice, Penny, Henry
WR: Nuk, Evans, Allen, Sutton, Mike Williams, Kirk, Cole, MVS
TE: Howard, Hunter Henry, Jordan Reed
K: Stream
D/ST: Stream

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:07 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:11 am
bjd5211 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:22 am

I'm not a big believer in Cook long-term currently. Gurley is on pace to be a league winner for the second season in a row. So, even in 16 teamer, he's still a big advantage. It'd have to be a loaded depth deal to move him.
That's fine, but Fournette and Dalvin are both going to be discussion for being late 1st round picks in a startup (especially 16 team) and will certainly be gone by the middle of the 2nd. And while QBs certainly do have depressed value in 1QB formats, they are much more valuable in a 16 team league than in smaller leagues simply due to limited supply. If Gurley is all the other guy has then this could be a very good return for him and give him two RBs that can each produce 80-90% of what Gurley produces, plus a chance to lock down his QB spot for years to come so he can focus on the more important positions.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:14 am

Also with the goal being to win it all this year (while still being able to contend in future seasons) it does not make sense for him to move Diggs or Kittle. He doesn't have the depth at WR to lose Diggs from his lineup without a replacement coming back, and Kittle has been an absolute stud and brings major positional advantage to his team which is one of the reasons he's been so good. Trading LF and Cook, who have done almost nothing for him this year, means he improves his lineup as a whole rather than improving one position at the expense of two others.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:36 pm

That's fine, but he's the buyer. The seller has no inclination to care what he's trying to do. If you want Gurley, who is single handedly capable of winning you games each week, the price is going to be steep regardless of the league. I'm not saying you shouldn't offer it, but don't get cute. You have to accept that you're going to have to make an undeniable offer. This is why buying high on players of this level is really difficult (assuming the seller knows what he's doing).

Maybe he really likes Cook and Trubisky, but he should be able to get much more. 2 weeks ago that offer is frankly laughable.

Major_Loser
Starter
Starter

Postby Major_Loser » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:57 pm

fakespike13 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:52 am I've been thinking about trying to pair Gurley with Kamara for the ultimate RB duo, especially in a 16 team. The owner with Gurley amazingly is going to miss the playoffs and felt the bite of having literally no RB2 in a deep league (he started m. brown several times). I think I have the ammo, packaging Cook, Fournette, Trubisky (he needs qb too) and picks for Gurley and Malcolm Brown. [my team in sig]

My questions to the forum would be:
1. what are peoples experiences trading for the very very expensive top players? Gurley in particular? what did you pay?

2. whats up with Gurleys week 15 and 16 outlook, will the Rams be easing up on him? the saints win definitely helps reduce the likelihood that the Rams can rest players week 16. still would be a huge blunder to make this trade with the playoffs in mind only to have it explode in my face (this year at least)

I'm 9-1 and should have a 1st round (week 14) bye. Been winning without Cook and Fournette, but their returns should be a boost to my team, and both play the dolphins (30th ranked run D) in the fantasy playoffs, which hopefully they capitalize on. But Gurley man. Gurley.
I traded for had two big trades prior to the season:

1. I gave Diggs/Davante Adams and recieved Hopkins... I am still not sure I won on this one.

2. I gave AJG/CMC/1.07 and got Gurley... this trade I got blasted for by the league thinking I got fleeced. If you have deep enough depth always try to leverage it into elite talent.

Gurley is the MOST expensive Dynasty asset but everyone has a price.
Team 1
12 team .5 PPR league
1 Qb, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE
QB: Herbert, Tannehill
RB: Josh Jacobs, Dobbins, Charbs, Ford
WR: Chase, Waddle, AJB, Mike Evans, Michael Thomas, Rashid Shaheed
TE: Waller, Chig, Njoku

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:36 pm That's fine, but he's the buyer. The seller has no inclination to care what he's trying to do. If you want Gurley, who is single handedly capable of winning you games each week, the price is going to be steep regardless of the league. I'm not saying you shouldn't offer it, but don't get cute. You have to accept that you're going to have to make an undeniable offer. This is why buying high on players of this level is really difficult (assuming the seller knows what he's doing).

Maybe he really likes Cook and Trubisky, but he should be able to get much more. 2 weeks ago that offer is frankly laughable.
Fournette and Dalvin Cook + is far from "being cute" or "laughable". If you don't regard them that highly that's fine, everybody has their own rankings and entitled to their own opinions, but just going by their average value in the dynasty community as a whole and taking the league settings into account it is a very reasonable offer that has very good potential to swing in favor of the side gaining LF and Cook. And you're right the other owner is under no obligation to do what's best for OP's team, but OP is better off not doing the trade at all and rolling with LF and Dalvin than giving up two indespensible pieces of his lineup. He's gotten this far without LF or Dalvin, so now hopefully they start producing and he gets the lineup boost he's looking for without giving up anything.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Do you have a 1st born son? You can start there and work your way up
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

badbuddah
Captain
Captain

Postby badbuddah » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:18 pm

Originally I was told the Gurley owner in my league wanted my Hopkins+Fournette+ either Chubb or Juju, I figured right there and then he was never moving from that guy's team until he retires.
12 Team UNLIMITED Keeper / 23 Roster 1.0-PPR: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB/TE, 1 K, 1 DEF 2 IR - 11th Year

QB: L. Jackson, J. Browning
RB: Aaron Jones, D'Ernest Johnson, E. Mitchell, Dalvin Cook, Jamaal Williams, Alexander Mattison, K. Miller, P. Taylor
WR: R. Doubs, G. Pickens, Christian Kirk, Juju, D. Hopkins, D. Wicks, K. Boutte
TE: Z. Ertz, C. Okonkwo, Trey McBride, Tucker Kraft
K: T. Bass, J. Moody
DEF: San Francisco

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:33 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:04 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:36 pm That's fine, but he's the buyer. The seller has no inclination to care what he's trying to do. If you want Gurley, who is single handedly capable of winning you games each week, the price is going to be steep regardless of the league. I'm not saying you shouldn't offer it, but don't get cute. You have to accept that you're going to have to make an undeniable offer. This is why buying high on players of this level is really difficult (assuming the seller knows what he's doing).

Fournette and Dalvin Cook + is far from "being cute" or "laughable". If you don't regard them that highly that's fine, everybody has their own rankings and entitled to their own opinions, but just going by their average value in the dynasty community as a whole and taking the league settings into account it is a very reasonable offer that has very good potential to swing in favor of the side gaining LF and Cook. And you're right the other owner is under no obligation to do what's best for OP's team, but OP is better off not doing the trade at all and rolling with LF and Dalvin than giving up two indespensible pieces of his lineup. He's gotten this far without LF or Dalvin, so now hopefully they start producing and he gets the lineup boost he's looking for without giving up anything.
I said 2 weeks ago that was a laughable offer. Cook has struggled with injuries for two seasons now and Fournette has barely played. If you're a Gurley owner, why would you give up a league winner for those two backs? It's an unnecessary risk. Gurley is on pace for 2000 total yards and over 20 TDs. I'd rather just try my luck with him next season instead of helping someone else build a powerhouse.

I'm just trying to give the OP a view into how the owner might feel. Whether he declines the deal or not, you have to go into negotiations with your mind made up that you will pony up to get Gurley.
Last edited by Cameron Giles on Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.