Jags DST. What is going on!?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Jags DST. What is going on!?

Postby Friction » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:29 am

I prefer no defense or kickers in my leagues, but did manage to snag Seattle a year before they truly became elite in real life. For fantasy purposes, they may have been a set and forget type, but still did not generate a ton of fantasy points (if that makes sense). They were elite in points given up, yards, that kind of stuff and never lost you a week in getting 0 or negative. They did not seem to generate a ton of sacks, TO's, and scores though. At least in my leagues that luckily are not Fantasy Defense Leagues AKA leagues that award 2 pts per sack and crap like that.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:35 am

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:13 pm Bad coaching. The unit is still #2 in the NFL in yards allowed, but they're not getting sacks and generating turnovers because Todd Wash is suddenly too passive a coordinator. And I suspect Marrone has something to do with it.

People don't appreciate that Gus Bradley built the Jax defense. Then Shahid Khan fired him the offseason before it all came together.

I think the D/ST will be better in '19. As you say, there's too much talent there for it not to be, and most of the unit's core is still young. Jags are 3-6 after going to the AFC title game last year, so hopefully this will lead to some coaching staff changes.
They added Buoye, Campbell, Jack and Barry Church after Bradley left. It's a totally different D.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:37 am

Both the Jags are Niners are struggling to generate heat because both teams start 3 DTs on the dline. Campbell, Dareus and Jackson while the 9ers go with Armstead, Buckner and Mitchell.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:18 pm

The Bears finished 12th in 2016, 7th in 2017 and are currently 1st today.

I picked them up after them drafting Roquan, and then Mack happening was just a cherry on top. Hard to find consistency at the position:

Chiefs had a really good DST in 2015+2016, Broncos did in 2015+2016 as well. Maybe there's a 2-3 year window lol.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:23 pm

I think their defense will be better now that they have Fournette back.

They can score and eat up some clock with him to give the defense rest. They seem to play better when hes active.
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:10 pm

skip wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:23 am
Vcize wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:12 am But truly elite defenses can be fairly predictable year to year.
I'd like you to find more than one team like this. Without even looking, I'm expecting you won't. I'll even let you go back using the past 30 years if you can find the data.
Well I don't even know where to find 30 years of team defense fantasy scoring data, lol. Using my league archives which go back to the early 2000's and have pretty much yahoo standard scoring for defenses...

The Bears had a stretch from 2010-2012 where they finished 3rd, 2nd, and 1st in consecutive years.

The Ravens had a 6 year stretch from 2002-2008 (the Ray Lewis/Ed Reed years) where they had finishes of 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 1st, 1st.

And of course the aforementioned Legion of Boom whose finishes I laid out on the last page.

You're right that it's rare, I never disagreed there, but the Jags weren't just one of those defenses that came out of nowhere and/or rode one guy's great season like Carolina, Denver, Arizona defenses that briefly flashed. People saw the young talent they were collecting and were anticipating the Jags D being the next big thing before it even happened. They were much more similar to those Seahawks/Ravens defenses where they had pro bowlers all over the field, most of whom were young and locked into long-term deals.

I still think they were worth a shot with all that said. As I said earlier, it's not like people were giving up a 1st round pick for them. In the discussion about their value last year it pretty much topped out at people arguing over whether or not a 3rd round pick was too much. That's going to be a dart throw either way.

ETA: Bucs also had a 3 year top 3 run in early 2000's but my data cuts off before I can see if it goes back any further.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Vcize wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:10 pm
Vcize wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:12 am But truly elite defenses can be fairly predictable year to year.
I'd like you to find more than one team like this. Without even looking, I'm expecting you won't. I'll even let you go back using the past 30 years if you can find the data.
Well I don't even know where to find 30 years of team defense fantasy scoring data, lol. Using my league archives which go back to the early 2000's and have pretty much yahoo standard scoring for defenses...

The Bears had a stretch from 2010-2012 where they finished 3rd, 2nd, and 1st in consecutive years.

The Ravens had a 6 year stretch from 2002-2008 (the Ray Lewis/Ed Reed years) where they had finishes of 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 1st, 1st.

And of course the aforementioned Legion of Boom whose finishes I laid out on the last page.

You're right that it's rare, I never disagreed there, but the Jags weren't just one of those defenses that came out of nowhere and/or rode one guy's great season like Carolina, Denver, Arizona defenses that briefly flashed. People saw the young talent they were collecting and were anticipating the Jags D being the next big thing before it even happened. They were much more similar to those Seahawks/Ravens defenses where they had pro bowlers all over the field, most of whom were young and locked into long-term deals.

I still think they were worth a shot with all that said. As I said earlier, it's not like people were giving up a 1st round pick for them. In the discussion about their value last year it pretty much topped out at people arguing over whether or not a 3rd round pick was too much. That's going to be a dart throw either way.

ETA: Bucs also had a 3 year top 3 run in early 2000's but my data cuts off before I can see if it goes back any further.
Maybe not FF scoring but you can use this to look at history

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... 447263-n=1

WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,

2020 3rd place Year 1
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:33 pm

skip wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:17 pm You got sucked in to the vicious lie that defenses are predictable year to year. Never, ever invest in a defense. You're just as well off picking one from waivers.
I think i read but maybe im wrong that no DST has ever finished top 5 in back to back years outside of the Seahawks a few years ago.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:56 pm

DJB wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:33 pm
skip wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:17 pm You got sucked in to the vicious lie that defenses are predictable year to year. Never, ever invest in a defense. You're just as well off picking one from waivers.
I think i read but maybe im wrong that no DST has ever finished top 5 in back to back years outside of the Seahawks a few years ago.
Yeah that is way way wrong.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:32 pm

sacks are a QB stat. You stream defenses like all other onesie positions.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Vcize wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:10 pm

There were several discussions last season and even a couple over the off season where owners were trading 2nd round picks for the Jaguars. And I'd argue that they actually did "come out of nowhere" from a fantasy standpoint since they were a bottom feeder the year prior.

Fwiw, only reason I used the 30 year mark is because that was when I started playing fantasy football (1989) and learned very quickly how fast defenses come and go. In 2007 the Bears and Ravens were so lauded that they went in the 7th round of a dynasty startup that I was in. It's funny you mention the Bears in 2010 because they found themselves sitting in the waiver wire in that same league by 2009 they were so bad.

There may be a small amount of predictability year to year but consider the Jaguars... You will find that a LOT of people all over the place praised them as the defense to own this season. The fact that they aren't really just underscores the entire discussion. When I played in leagues that used team defense, there was always (at least) one on waivers at the start of the season that finished in the top 10.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:13 pm

Honestly I don't think they "came out of nowhere" I thought 2 years ago they had the makings of a potentially amazing defense, but I did think Fowler would be a big part of the reason why so I wasn't entirely right about them. I wish I had followed my gut and picked them up when they "sucked" on some my teams that were a year away from competing. The defense I look at the same way now is the Cleveland Browns, they have a ton of young talent now, potentially a strong running game to keep them fresh, and I am dying for them to get Ed Oliver in the draft.

metalmat
Starter
Starter

Postby metalmat » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:31 pm

In 2017 they faced a bunch of backup QBs, mediocre to trash offenses and had the easiest schedule in the NFL.
14 Tm ppr (rebuilding)
QB Wentz, Carr, MacJ
RB Mixon, Ty'son, Gaskin, McKinnon, Coleman, David Johnson, Freeman, Darrel Williams, J.Patrick, Ahmed, Dobbins, Hasty
WR Hopkins, T.Patrick, E.Moore
TE Jarwin, Ertz, Knox, Tremble
Picks: 22 (1,1,1,2,2,3) 23 (1,1,1,2,2,3)

12 Tm .5 ppr
QB Stafford, Hurts, MacJ, KMond
RB Zeke, Fournette, White, Mostert, Coleman, Pollard, Dallas, Perine, B.Scott, Nwangwu, Hawkins
WR Amari, Tyreek, KA, Chark, Renfrow, Agholor, Patterson
TE Fant, Knox, Doyle, Allie-Cox

12 Tm SF, TE+, ppr
QB Ryan, Winston, Mills, Minshew, Tua
RB Gordon, Carson, Harris, Hunt, Duke, D'Ernest, Dillon
WR Jefferson, Boyd, Ruggs, Davis, Parker, Hamler, Robby, Miller, E.Moore, Rodgers, Tre'Quan
TE Hooper, Conklin, Jarwin, Doyle, JuwanJ

14 Tm ppr
QB Stafford, Bridgewater, Fields
RB Hines, Harris, R.Jones, Murray, Freeman, J,Kelley, Hasty
WR Tyreek, C.Ridley, J.Chase, Aiyuk, Hardman, Renfrow, Campbell, Eskridge, Tre'quan
TE Kittle, Freiermuth, Kroft

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:00 am

timed the market perfectly - acquired everywhere prior to 2017 - traded everywhere this year for bolts bears & steelers - mostly due to the fact that I didn't like the soaring opinion most people had of their alleged potential .........inside and outside their building . Two in a startup jags were
1st defense to go in the auction for like 12$ - hilarious amount for a defense . My thoughts were people were delusional and like any asset time to sell is when the market has peaked . Very hard to time obviously - results may vary!

That said - I really hope it takes at least 1 more week for them to find their 2017 potential .
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:06 am

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:13 pm Honestly I don't think they "came out of nowhere" I thought 2 years ago they had the makings of a potentially amazing defense, but I did think Fowler would be a big part of the reason why so I wasn't entirely right about them. I wish I had followed my gut and picked them up when they "sucked" on some my teams that were a year away from competing. The defense I look at the same way now is the Cleveland Browns, they have a ton of young talent now, potentially a strong running game to keep them fresh, and I am dying for them to get Ed Oliver in the draft.

I'm with you on the Browns, I'm debating on picking them up and holding.

2020 3rd place Year 1
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd