Jags DST. What is going on!?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Jags DST. What is going on!?

Postby MrUbuto » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:05 pm

I went all in on the jags D this year and they have been absolute crap.

I honestly haven't watch a ton of games, is there anyone a little closer to it that can shed some light on what the heck is going on?

There is so much raw talent there
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: Jags DST. What is going on!?

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:13 pm

Bad coaching. The unit is still #2 in the NFL in yards allowed, but they're not getting sacks and generating turnovers because Todd Wash is suddenly too passive a coordinator. And I suspect Marrone has something to do with it.

People don't appreciate that Gus Bradley built the Jax defense. Then Shahid Khan fired him the offseason before it all came together.

I think the D/ST will be better in '19. As you say, there's too much talent there for it not to be, and most of the unit's core is still young. Jags are 3-6 after going to the AFC title game last year, so hopefully this will lead to some coaching staff changes.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:59 pm

Why are they worse? Sure, here you go:
Tom Savage/Watson
Mariota
Flacco/Mallet
McCown
Ben
Goff
Brissett
Dalton
Rivers
Kizer
Gabbert
Brissett
Russell Wilson
Yates
Jimmy G
Mariota

This is the trash bin they faced last year. Maybe 6-7 real QBs

This year they have faced Eli, Brady, Mariota, Darnold, Mahomes, Dak, Watson, Wentz, Luck

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:17 pm

You got sucked in to the vicious lie that defenses are predictable year to year. Never, ever invest in a defense. You're just as well off picking one from waivers.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Yea damn. I really had high Hope's for them. They weren't just good last year they were near record breakingly dominant.

Guess @krypto_king makes a good point. That 2017 schedule was a lot softer
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Krypto_King wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:59 pm This year they have faced Eli, Brady, Mariota, Darnold, Mahomes, Dak, Watson, Wentz, Luck
And they're still elite in net yards allowed. Not much change there from last year. They're also #6 in DVOA.

Like I said before you, it's down to turnovers and sacks. They're not getting them this year. When a defense is stingy with yards but isn't getting the other statistics, it's usually because the coordinator is losing the chess game every week.

Jags defense is as great as last year at reacting to the ball and making the tackle, but they're not anticipating plays and making lethal adjustments pre-snap and mid-game to exploit identified weaknesses and tells. That's on the coaching.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:14 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:22 pm Like I said before you, it's down to turnovers and sacks. They're not getting them this year.
The only defensive stat that I found might correlate year to year and even then there was quite a bit of variation was sacks. Generally if you picked a high sack team from the year prior you would have at least an above average option. But that was it. I'm not sure that even has a statistical basis.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:21 pm

Some great points already, I think something that has made sense to me as well when watching this Jags D is that they now have notable weaknesses in attackable matchups. They let Aaron Colvin go, who was a top-graded slot corner. They also had really good luck with injuries in their secondary last year, this year has been far more difficult.

The problem with a defense maintaining its dominance season to season is that it is the sum of it's 11+ parts (AND coaching AND luck/variance), as opposed to all the other offensive players we roster who are single-share units and measurable. Really, the best you can hope for is to roster a team with a strong historical defensive identity (ie Ravens, Seahawks, Rams, Steelers, etc) and hope to cash in on good defensive coaching / playcalling and talent.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:03 am

Defenses are tough to predict and this year there seems to be none that sticks out as reliable. Sure, certain teams will beat up on the poor offenses when they have home games, but who can you really trust week in and out? I usually stream and rarely like to start a team on the road. The Bears have shown some promise, but not sure who else.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:14 am

MrUbuto wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:05 pm I went all in on the jags D this year and they have been absolute crap.

I honestly haven't watch a ton of games, is there anyone a little closer to it that can shed some light on what the heck is going on?

There is so much raw talent there
Quick question...

Do you mean that you went all-in on the IDPs on the Jags, or on the Jags DST position? If it's the latter, idk what to tell you... besides hopefully you learned that DST isn't a good dynasty investment.

In terms of their real-life issues, you've got a couple of factors in play. Offensive production is exploding this year--in part due to the various rule changes that have been made, as well as in part to coaches getting smarter and implementing more creative offensive schemes. Sure, you still have guys like Hackett or Schottenheimer wanting to establish the run (and having some success at it, I guess :think: ), but you also have guys like McCoy and Haley that are getting canned for insisting on sticking to schemes that the opponents can easily figure out and/or defend (looking at Dirk Koetter).

The other issue that cannot be ignored is the dissent among the team right now--especially on defense. Once issues in the locker room start to emerge, they need to be handled quickly.... and I'm pretty sure trading away a player or two doesn't solve it. It's a culture that's being enabled by people higher up *cough*.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:24 am

DST has no place in a dynasty league. Frankly I don’t even like them in seasonal leagues and I’m thrilled FanDuel wised yo and got rid of the position. FF is supposed to be a game of skill and DSTs and Kickers make it a lot more dependent on luck.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:46 am

Lack of turnovers and they're not facing a garbage QB every other week. They're still a good defense, but last year was a perfect storm. Investing in DSTs isn't smart in dynasty, since luck is a noticeable element of it and it depends on the schedule.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:13 am

Always happens with Defenses and they are not worth investing in long-term. Trade for them in their hot year to make a run at a title that year, but thinking you have a set it and forget it D for years to come is a mistake same with Kickers (except Tucker), just too unpredictable.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:12 am

skip wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:17 pm You got sucked in to the vicious lie that defenses are predictable year to year. Never, ever invest in a defense. You're just as well off picking one from waivers.
Everyone says this, and it's generally true for good and even very good defenses. But truly elite defenses can be fairly predictable year to year.

Seattle was a top 5 defense for 6 out of 7 years between 2011-2017. 4 of those years they were top 3 and their worst finish was #9.

While rare, I think a lot of people saw a lot of parallels in the Jax defense to that one. Truly elite both NFL and fantasy play with a lot of young stud players signed long-term. Obviously it hasn't come together but at the cost (most had them around a 3rd round rookie pick when the discussion came up last year) I think it was a worthwhile gamble because if you do find that rare gem like Seattle then you are the one team in the whole league with a steady defense year to year, which is a pretty large advantage.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:23 am

Vcize wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:12 am But truly elite defenses can be fairly predictable year to year.
I'd like you to find more than one team like this. Without even looking, I'm expecting you won't. I'll even let you go back using the past 30 years if you can find the data.