The Real Lamar Jackson Thread

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: The Real Lamar Jackson Thread

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:28 pm

FeartheRavens06 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:25 am It was so incredibly frustrating watching that game. Mind boggling how a QB can go into half time with NEGATIVE passing yards. Not just in this game but in seemingly every game since he was named starter he has had an open receiver just standing there waiting for the ball and Jackson throws it into the ground two yards in front of him. Then he'll go and throw a dime like he did during the regular season Chargers game to Andrews for a 70 yd TD. He's all over the place in terms of throwing but I've seen so many horrible throws from him I don't have a whole lot of hope for him. He's got ALOT of improving to do as a passer
I wouldn't worry too much at this point. He is just a kid. My concern with him is reading a defense more than his throwing motion which can be corrected with footwork. Lots of film work should help his decision processing time which looks slow so far.

I like his desire but he needs a lot of work. He was obviously thrown into the fire well before the Ravens really wanted him out there and for the most part was decent. The 4th quarter version of him was pretty good. He actually throws on the run well when he doesn't think about it.

He was the weakest in this class by a pretty wide margin but was drafted as a late first due to the 5th year option to give him time to develop. He has skills that can be taught so he was a pretty low risk selection IMO.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:40 pm

I haven't done a full in-depth analysis of Jackson, but I don't think passing deficiencies will just go away with experience.

He's also not going to be given five full years. If he bombs next year, he's likely done.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:33 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:40 pm I haven't done a full in-depth analysis of Jackson, but I don't think passing deficiencies will just go away with experience.

He's also not going to be given five full years. If he bombs next year, he's likely done.
Players get better with coaching. Anyone who thinks a 21 year old kid is a finished product is pretty crazy. The Ravens certainly don't believe that and they have a lot of very good football minds on that team.

He went in the 1st round due to his skill set potential. The 5th year option is worth moving up into the first round as that's not possible in the second round. That doesn't mean he will succeed but if the Ravens are right and he does, that is a brilliant cap management move.

True: He may not develop his passing skill but no real reason to think he won't become more efficient with experience. Players and systems certainly help. Get him a few better WR's and he will benefit.

Look at Dak Presscott, as an example. The last 1/2 the year once Cooper came to town Dak completed over 70% of his passes which is one of the highest in the league. Jackson doesn't have that skill set at this point but he should progress.

L. Jackson completed 58.2% in 2018 at 7.1 YPA
A Rodgers completed 62.3% in 2018 at 7.4 YPA

Only Baker from this class completed passes above 60%
Patience is required.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:33 pm
I really like Jackson but you need to recognize the difference between 58.2 and 62.3 is actually pretty huge in the grand scheme of things.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:22 pm

I agree Jackson needs work but im absolutely astounded people are ready to stick a fork in him after 8 games. Seems really silly and a rush to judgement...…. welcome to Dynasty.
Last edited by Patsfan86 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:28 pm

Weknownothing86 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:22 pm I agree Jackson needs work but im absolutely astounded people are ready to stick a fork on him after 8 games. Seems really silly and a rush to judgement...…. welcome to Dynasty.
Yep, I'm surprised too.

I feel like anyone that's done a heel-turn on him after Sunday wasn't understanding what his weaknesses were coming into the season.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:50 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:40 pm He's also not going to be given five full years. If he bombs next year, he's likely done.
Maybe not all 5 if he's garbage but at least 2 more years. C'mon man the Ravens kept Flacco around. Without that contract they can fill some other holes now and build around him a little better. Give it time

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:14 pm

heyfeefellskee wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:28 pm
Weknownothing86 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:22 pm I agree Jackson needs work but im absolutely astounded people are ready to stick a fork on him after 8 games. Seems really silly and a rush to judgement...…. welcome to Dynasty.
Yep, I'm surprised too.

I feel like anyone that's done a heel-turn on him after Sunday wasn't understanding what his weaknesses were coming into the season.
They are also failing to understand it was a rookie Qb in his first playoff start against a top defense. Need to cut the guy some slack. I also feel some people want to be right about him being bad so they are using this one game as an example instead of the other ones. Its a very small sample size but here is the bottom line, A rookie Qb significantly helped (great defense also) his team go 6-1 and make the playoffs. That's really all that matters in the end. Baltimore has to be happy with him. People can project to the future as much as they want but as of now Lamar Jackson exceeded expectations in the NFL just due to this accomplishment. People are gonna argue stats with me and that's fine but im just going to keep falling back on this argument because wins are really all that matter in the NFL. We have seen great Qbs lose jobs because they cant win, and bad Qbs keep jobs because they win. I am NOT NOT NOT comparing Lamar J to Brady but everyone please remember early career Brady and how limited he was. Brady was not a great player when he won his first 3 super bowls, he did what was needed and let his defense win those games and eventually Brady got a lot better and became who he is today. Im not saying Lamar will be brady, thatd be insanity but im also not saying he will be Dilfer. The guy needs a lot more of a chance than he is being given around here because people desperately want to be right. He definitely earned the starting role next year and I expect him to be around for at least 2-3 full seasons.

darewood11
All Pro
All Pro

Postby darewood11 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Weknownothing86 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:14 pm
heyfeefellskee wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:28 pm
Yep, I'm surprised too.

They are also failing to understand it was a rookie Qb in his first playoff start against a top defense. Need to cut the guy some slack. I also feel some people want to be right about him being bad so they are using this one game as an example instead of the other ones. Its a very small sample size but here is the bottom line, A rookie Qb significantly helped (great defense also) his team go 6-1 and make the playoffs. That's really all that matters in the end. Baltimore has to be happy with him. People can project to the future as much as they want but as of now Lamar Jackson exceeded expectations in the NFL just due to this accomplishment. People are gonna argue stats with me and that's fine but im just going to keep falling back on this argument because wins are really all that matter in the NFL. We have seen great Qbs lose jobs because they cant win, and bad Qbs keep jobs because they win. I am NOT NOT NOT comparing Lamar J to Brady but everyone please remember early career Brady and how limited he was. Brady was not a great player when he won his first 3 super bowls, he did what was needed and let his defense win those games and eventually Brady got a lot better and became who he is today. Im not saying Lamar will be brady, thatd be insanity but im also not saying he will be Dilfer. The guy needs a lot more of a chance than he is being given around here because people desperately want to be right. He definitely earned the starting role next year and I expect him to be around for at least 2-3 full seasons.
Didnt do a 180 on him...never believed his skills would transfer to nfl. He looks to run immediately. It could happen but I would not feel great if he was drafted to my team and handed the reigns. To this point his running like a mad man is the only thing that hes had going for him. Thw fumbles 100 percent have got to be fixed. Next year will definitely tell alot.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:15 am

Apparently the Chargers could tell whether a play was run or pass based on how Stanley was lining up. I’d link the article, but its from The Athletic, so behind a paywall. A lot of this is on the offensive coaches.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:57 pm

heyfeefellskee wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:10 pm
Ice wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:33 pm
I really like Jackson but you need to recognize the difference between 58.2 and 62.3 is actually pretty huge in the grand scheme of things.
Actually you missed the point entirely.

The difference is this case is 4.1 completions Per 100 passing attempts. The point is one QB is just getting started and the other is one of the best QB's to play the game.

I listed this only because the completion percentage argument as a stand alone argument is actually quite foolish. Of course one wants to see improvement and no one likes regression.

Rodgers had the benefit of sitting behind a star QB in this league. Anyone that studies Rodgers really knows his drop in completion percentage this year had a lot to do with WR's not getting open and an O line that didn't play well. He actually threw the ball away far more than in years past but if one just looks at completion percentage whether it be bad team play or inexperience, it doesn't tell the entire story. Jackson is just getting started so has no experience and a WR group not close to Rodgers.

Jackson obviously doesn't throw it great but then again he led his team to the playoffs and Rodgers didn't.

I highly doubt Jackson will ever be in Rodgers league but he should get better and has already shown he can win in this league. Jackson needs time and coaching to develop. He may not at rates many would like but he should get considerably better. He just turned 22. Rodgers has been developing his craft for years and is 15 years older than Jackson.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:12 pm

There's struggles ala Josh Rosen, then there's totally lost ala Lamar. He deserves some more time but he doesn't have the classic skillset. He'll always be a head scratcher with some super flashy plays mixed in.

With that said, he is a very nice asset in SF and 2QB.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:11 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:12 pm With that said, he is a very nice asset in SF and 2QB.
Maybe this is where my disconnect with some people is. I only play in QB premium leagues and love Lamar as a QB2. I don't think he has potential to be someone's year round starter in a 1QB league. Just not that feasible. Love the floor as a QB2 though. Hopefully he can work on the passing. Still very young and I don't the people rushing to write him off. Same goes for any of the rookie QB

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:43 am

I was never on Jackson as a top end QB. However I do think he can be an effective fantasy QB I just don't see how he can continue to run/scramble and not get hurt. It seems inevitable in the NFL. See Mariota/RG3 for premier examples of QB's that run, get hurt and take longer to develop their passing as a result.
He is a terrific athlete and his rushing alone should make a decent floor and if he can avoid turnovers and the D stays strong he can win them games.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:00 am

Jackson related question. I just acquired Mark Andrews as an add in on a trade. He was the TE14 while Lamar was starting. Has he shown chemistry with L Jax? Is this the type of situation where not the best arm talent leads to throwing to TE more than the perimeter WRs?
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol