The Real Lamar Jackson Thread

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: The Real Lamar Jackson Thread

Postby mild » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:11 am

Chwf3rd wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:43 pm Problem is that you need to be a starting QB to be a great fantasy QB and I’m very uncertain that he’ll ever become a long term starting QB.

The Ravens clearly feel uncomfortable with him throwing the ball, an NFL offense is going to eveny require it’s QB to be a passer, and the amount of shots he was taking was unsustainable, especially with his frame.
This is dynasty, personally I'm playing Superflex... it's just so early to call it one way or the other. Vick is on record as saying Lamar is "more ready than he was for the pros" coming out of college. He is clearly elite with his legs already, and he's only a few months older than Darnold.

He doesn't have to be Aaron Rodgers. But could he be Mitch Trubisky...? Because that's all that should be required once they develop an offense around him - screens, quick hits, deep shots, and the constant threat of his legs. Scheme it up and I think he could "get it" as he gets comfortable.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:36 am

Lamar didnt take that many hits yesterday. At least I didnt think so. Not saying he wont ever get hit but man he was top fast to even get hit on some plays.

I'm not surprised he didnt throw it much. Dont blame him or the coaches, Baltimore was killing it on the ground. Why would you stop?

Maybe once a defense stops the rushing attack, you'll see more shots down the field. I thought most of his throws looked good. Got it done on Sunday and that's what matters

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:47 am

Chwf3rd wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:43 pm
mild wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:47 pm
mild wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:35 pm
That's probably a fair call. How would you feel about 50, then? Is that fair enough?
How we doing this week, fam...

A 15.7 pt day in my league *without* a TD.

He's going to be a great fantasy QB imo.
Problem is that you need to be a starting QB to be a great fantasy QB and I’m very uncertain that he’ll ever become a long term starting QB.

The Ravens clearly feel uncomfortable with him throwing the ball, an NFL offense is going to eveny require it’s QB to be a passer, and the amount of shots he was taking was unsustainable, especially with his frame.
It was his first NFL start. Give him a chance.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:23 am

I was excited for him coming into the league, but I've been very unimpressed with what I've seen so far.
He had an okay day. I thought he missed a lot of easy reads and was playing against the Bengals too. Bottom 3 defense that is currently being headed by the dearly departed Hue bleep Jackson. I think his most likely path is a 1-3 years of good fantasy qb, mediocre NFL qb which results in a short starting career similar to RG3.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:12 pm

He's going to get himself killed at some point.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:21 pm

1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Did I miss when Vick became a QB scout? Not being a smart arse, is he a good judge of QBs for people to refer to his judgement?

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:15 pm

This article was published in February, so I'm not sure of it's relevance today.

I hope though that Lamar isn't a spitting image of Vick. Vick openly talked about never watching film and leaving Falcons practice and heading straight to the McDonald's drive thru.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:07 am

Just going to mention that he was 6-1 as a starter. Only loss was in OT @KC... Maybe he gets redemption in a week. Youngest rookie QB to start a playoff game.

All I know is that Baltimore would have been nowhere near a winning record, let alone the playoffs, with Flacco. Glad he's gone, glad they have an exciting QB for once.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:03 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:07 am Just going to mention that he was 6-1 as a starter. Only loss was in OT @KC... Maybe he gets redemption in a week. Youngest rookie QB to start a playoff game.

All I know is that Baltimore would have been nowhere near a winning record, let alone the playoffs, with Flacco. Glad he's gone, glad they have an exciting QB for once.
What I love about Lamar's game is clock management, he keeps the defense fresh which is a hugely over looked.
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:30 pm

Blueboy wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:12 pm I'm also high on him, but I think there's a lot of wishful thinking here. An 80 yard rushing floor would be crazy.
That's probably a fair call. How would you feel about 50, then? Is that fair enough?

I guess my point is, I feel like he's a lock for 10 points every week...
Jigga94 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:41 pm I think the rushing yardage floor is optimistic. 50 sounds about right as a good game though.
Just keen for a little premature fist pump here, it's not often I get to quote myself. (Sorry to requote you Jigga, you know I love you)

As one of the resident Lamar stans here, and as someone who watched every snap of his pre-draft... it's always a nice feeling to say "I think I know how this dude is going to play" and be right about it.

Those posts were made prior to his first start against the Bengals. Lamar's rushing yardage in his last seven games:
119, 71, 75, 67, 95, 39, 90.

In my SF league, 4pt passing TD, his lowest score so far was 15.9, in his first week against the Bengals (the ridiculous 26 carry game). His highest was 26.0 this week against the Browns, with the aforementioned 2 extra rushing TD's that he *should* have had. His 39 yards rushing against the Chargers is the current outlier; it was also his best game as a passer (204/1).

He's going to be the youngest QB to start a playoff game, and he's about to have a full offseason with his coaching staff now designing the system completely around his talents. Additionally, they're about to have 21 million in cap space (and possibly some picks) from getting rid of Joe Flaccid.

Exciting times to be a Lamar shareholder, Ravens fan, or both! :thumbup:

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:40 pm

People killing him after his first start were hilarious and so sadly trying to jump the gun so they could be right. I don't get it. Let the guy have a few starts then talk or else you run the risk of looking foolish and right now they do. With all of that said the guy most definitely needs to work on throwing and hopefully put on some muscle or he will get hurt. Its only a matter of time.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:45 pm

mild wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:30 pm
Blueboy wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:12 pm I'm also high on him, but I think there's a lot of wishful thinking here. An 80 yard rushing floor would be crazy.

I guess my point is, I feel like he's a lock for 10 points every week...
Jigga94 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:41 pm I think the rushing yardage floor is optimistic. 50 sounds about right as a good game though.
Just keen for a little premature fist pump here, it's not often I get to quote myself. (Sorry to requote you Jigga, you know I love you)

As one of the resident Lamar stans here, and as someone who watched every snap of his pre-draft... it's always a nice feeling to say "I think I know how this dude is going to play" and be right about it.

Those posts were made prior to his first start against the Bengals. Lamar's rushing yardage in his last seven games:
119, 71, 75, 67, 95, 39, 90.

In my SF league, 4pt passing TD, his lowest score so far was 15.9, in his first week against the Bengals (the ridiculous 26 carry game). His highest was 26.0 this week against the Browns, with the aforementioned 2 extra rushing TD's that he *should* have had. His 39 yards rushing against the Chargers is the current outlier; it was also his best game as a passer (204/1).

He's going to be the youngest QB to start a playoff game, and he's about to have a full offseason with his coaching staff now designing the system completely around his talents. Additionally, they're about to have 21 million in cap space (and possibly some picks) from getting rid of Joe Flaccid.

Exciting times to be a Lamar shareholder, Ravens fan, or both! :thumbup:
He is definitely an athletic player and that offense is certainly fun to watch, but are all these rushing stats sustainable long term? I can’t really think of any QBs who have made their bread and butter on ONLY rushing and no passing. Eventually defenses are going to catch on to the one dimensional offense and Jackson is going to be forced to throw the ball, where he will either sink or swim.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:08 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:45 pm He is definitely an athletic player and that offense is certainly fun to watch, but are all these rushing stats sustainable long term? I can’t really think of any QBs who have made their bread and butter on ONLY rushing and no passing. Eventually defenses are going to catch on to the one dimensional offense and Jackson is going to be forced to throw the ball, where he will either sink or swim.
Here's 5 reasons to gamble on Lamar for the next 2-4 seasons:

- I'm betting on the Ravens coaching infrastructure and veteran culture. He fits their identity, and is surrounded by veterans saying "be you".
- I'm betting that a 21 y/o Heisman winner has room to grow in the passing game, but is already one of the most elusive rushers we've ever seen at the position - short of that *OTHER* guy.
- I'm betting that the league is litigating more and more of the "big hits" out of the game, and continues to add rules that protect the QB.
- I'm betting that he's not deaf to the men in his life telling him to avoid hits - Vick in the media, RG3 right behind him - and I actually think if you watch him, he does a really good job of avoiding contact when he can.
- I'm betting that a full offseason as the incumbent will only yield good things. Let's not forget, and credit to Harbough - this offense was assembled on the fly, mid-season. He IS the Ravens now. (it's exciting!)

To your point about forcing him to throw - I am convinced that he can be better than he has currently shown. Watch his college tape - he can read the field, and he can make throws. He just needs time to continue adjusting to the defensive speed at the NFL level. He could also still use a good possession receiver on the outside.
But more importantly - and you're starting to see it - defenses are now adjusting to him. His best day passing came when the Chargers dared him to throw, and sent fronts at the run game on every snap. Modern NFL defenses are not built to contain this kind of rushing attack - they are a true league outlier in this regard. In college, the Read Option was largely solved by moving to 5-man fronts - something I would expect to start seeing regularly against the Ravens at the pro level, but also - something that Lamar has already seen plenty of at the College level. The Ravens are opening holes in defensive lines like nothing we've seen before - they are scheming ridiculous mismatches and the gaps are HUGE. I foresee continued adjustments by both NFL defenses and the Ravens going forward, and I'm willing to bet that Lamar can keep up with the shifts.

Sorry for another huge post. Here's a fun watch:

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:56 pm

Props on calling Jackson's floor as you saw it, mild, even though it looked crazy at the time. I'm mostly aboard the Lamar hype train at this point, but am a bit worried about his arm strength. Seeing plenty of it in college, it's kinda concerning that he's yet to showcase his big arm -- which I'd seen as a strength of his -- too much in the NFL.