The Real Lamar Jackson Thread

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

The Real Lamar Jackson Thread

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:04 pm

Lamar has great potential and no one here doubts that. Any major believers or non believers? As a Ravens fan he hasnt been all that so far but of course it is a minuscule sample size. I get any owners will be glad to see him out there more.

Besides Baker, every rookie QB has majorly disappointed so far. Sure, Darnold is 21 and the youngest to ever start. Allen has a terrible offense and what the hell are they doing with Rosen? But I think theres a clear path for Jackson to be the 2nd best rookie in this class.

I want to hear your thoughts, QB comparisons and what the future holds for him. And please no talk of a WR on IR... I'd rather discuss Jackson here. Thanks!

Ukcody83
Rookie
Rookie

Re: The Real Lamar Jackson Thread

Postby Ukcody83 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:15 pm

As a Kentucky fan I hated him as a Cardinal but watching him many times I absolutely believe in him and think he has the highest fantasy upside of any of the rookie QB’s.
10 team non ppr

QB: Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson

RB: Nick Chubb,Leonard Fournette, Derrick Henry, Josh Jacobs,Chase Edmonds

WR: Tyreek Hill, Allen Robinson,Hollywood Brown,Curtis Samuel,,Courtland Sutton,Christian Kirk,,Diontae Johnson,Antonio Brown

TE: Austin Hooper,Dallas Goedert,Noah Fant,Tyler Higbee,OJ Howard

2020 draft picks 1.2,1.4,1.8

Rosenbluu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Rosenbluu » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:51 pm

I don’t think he should start yet, I would feel more comfortable if he sat and continued to learn the playbook and position for the rest of the year.

I do think he has a lot of potiental, if he can progress and continue to learn I think he has a good shot to being the closest will see to another Vick.
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:09 pm

I've never been a believer, call me old fashioned but I like my QBs with some semblance of passing skill.
Now who knows if the Ravens have been helping him in this area, if he can turn into an ok passer then he could be very valuable.
I agree that he really should have sat for the year, this could be more damaging than good.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:41 am

I have no idea if he's going to be good, but I know that if he is good by NFL standards then he is going to be AMAZING when it comes to fantasy. I drafted and stashed him every league I could, and instantly grabbed him if he became a free agent. He's going to be a very solid starting option immediately upon getting the starting job solely because of his running game numbers and the passing numbers will be gravy. It's about if/when he starts producing well as a passer that he could become an elite fantasy option. Tebow and Terrelle Pryor were both very good fantasy QBs for a time almost entirely because of their running production, and Lamar is just as good if not better than them on the ground and far better as a passer.

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:05 am

In terms of real football, I don't like the idea of him starting this week. He hasn't looked ready at all, and would benefit from using the year to acclimate to NFL speed/complexity. Honestly, I think his strange usage this season has hurt the Ravens' offense.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:54 am

I want him to play because I drafted him, but I agree, I thought by now his passes would look better but they still look sloppy.
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:08 am

AussieMate wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:09 pm I've never been a believer, call me old fashioned but I like my QBs with some semblance of passing skill.
Now who knows if the Ravens have been helping him in this area, if he can turn into an ok passer then he could be very valuable.
I agree that he really should have sat for the year, this could be more damaging than good.
He was a perfectly fine pocket passer in college, and most of his runs were designed rather than him abandoning the pocket after his first read. I find the Vick comparison lazy...he's a far better QB coming out.

I'm a big fan, however my number one concern is his frame. He's pretty slight, and he's about to take a pounding like he never did at Louisville.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 am

I also would have liked to see him sit all year for us. There seems to be 2 schools of thought on the matter.

1. Sit him all year. Let him learn. Dont put pressure on him. Seeing the field in packages helps keep defenses on their toes. Also gives Lamar some on field action while not giving him overwhelming pressure. Downside in this situation is that the Ravens wouldn't know if they can trust him starting next year and whether or not to cut Flacco.

2. Start him. Get him experience so he can be better next year. There isnt much pressure because the Ravens aren't making the playoffs. You know what you have in Flacco, an overpaid average QB. Time to move on. Downside here is that many think this will hurt his progression. I disagree slightly but can see it from both sides. I think it only hurts the QB when they are mentally weak.

I also think Lamar has a shot at being fantasy gold. I didnt take the chance on him, opting for Baker right before him but he could easily have a high floor in rushing. Lots of risks with that as well because hes built more like Watson and not like Cam

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:08 am

Blueboy wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:05 am In terms of real football, I don't like the idea of him starting this week. He hasn't looked ready at all, and would benefit from using the year to acclimate to NFL speed/complexity. Honestly, I think his strange usage this season has hurt the Ravens' offense.
Well the Ravens are on bye, so I doubt he will be starting this week lol.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:40 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 am I also would have liked to see him sit all year for us. There seems to be 2 schools of thought on the matter.

1. Sit him all year. Let him learn. Dont put pressure on him. Seeing the field in packages helps keep defenses on their toes. Also gives Lamar some on field action while not giving him overwhelming pressure. Downside in this situation is that the Ravens wouldn't know if they can trust him starting next year and whether or not to cut Flacco.

2. Start him. Get him experience so he can be better next year. There isnt much pressure because the Ravens aren't making the playoffs. You know what you have in Flacco, an overpaid average QB. Time to move on. Downside here is that many think this will hurt his progression. I disagree slightly but can see it from both sides. I think it only hurts the QB when they are mentally weak.

I also think Lamar has a shot at being fantasy gold. I didnt take the chance on him, opting for Baker right before him but he could easily have a high floor in rushing. Lots of risks with that as well because hes built more like Watson and not like Cam
I think there were three thoughts-
A- start him now. Best done by complete rebuilders like the Jets.
B- sit him all year, let him learn. Best done by contenders.
C- play him selectively, like Taysom Hill in NO.

I'm eager to see what he can do, but I'm concerned abd how slight he is.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:44 am

Right, I think playing him selectively was also a part of having him sit. I dont think bringing him in a few plays a game hurts him at all. Gets him on the field without putting much pressure on him

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:52 am

I think the situation you are brought into has an effect as well. Patrick Mahomes drafted by Buffalo in 2017 and starting right away would not be the Patrick Mahomes who sat a year behind Alex Smith and wanted by the Chiefs - that does not mean Mahomes would not have had any success - just that the success would have been more limited than the breakout we are witnessing this year.

Basically it is easier to be thrown out there from the get-go if you have the right culture to support you rather than necessity or pressure from outside.

I think that is one of the reasons that Baltimore has RGIII on their roster, so he can impart to Lamar Jackson any insights he can share from being the guy from the get go - and then being on a team where not everyone believed in you.

I feel the culture in Baltimore is better than in many other franchises but that Lamar Jackson may still benefit from more off-field / clipboard development.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:03 am

I agree with that take ArrylT. A lot of it stems from the player themselves, but culture and situation also need to be taken into account. RG3's "resurgence" was viewed by many as trade bait for Baltimore but I truly do believe they wanted him around for this situation. RG3 is much more similar to Jackson and probably a better mentor to him than Flacco because of that.

Dynasty_Analyst
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dynasty_Analyst » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:42 am

If this was 10 years ago I would give him very little chance of being successful, he would have been completing sub 50% of his passes. The landscape has changed though quarterback numbers are through the roof compared to back then due to rule changes, philosophy changes, whatever you want to call it. Im not sold by any means but this is a very quarterback friendly league so he might be able to put up respectable passing numbers with big rushing totals to go along.
Fantasy Writer- 5 Yard Rush
@5yardrush @5yarddynasty
https://5yardrush.co.uk/

Content Creator- The Coaches Fantasy Podcast
@coachesfantasy Thefantasycoaches.com

@Dynasty_Analyst - Dynasty content, advice, and tidbits. Hit me up anytime to chat about your dynasty team if you need trade advice, input on the direction to move your team, or anything else.