What is the best kind of league and why

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Wizard
Role Player
Role Player

What is the best kind of league and why

Postby Wizard » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:23 pm

I've been in a dynasty league for a few seasons and I like it much better than a redraft league. My son is bugging me to start another dynasty league (he runs the one I'm in now). The league I'm in now is a 1QB and I don't like the way it make the QBs pretty much worthless.

So here's my question; if you were to start a league knowing what you do, what kind of league would you start/create/and want to be a player in? Super flex? 2 QB? Premium TE? If you got to chose what type and why.

Help me out.
QB -Tom Brady, Nick Foles Deshaun Watson

RB - Kenyan Drake, Darrius Guise, Tevin Coleman, Leonard Fournett, Kareem Hunt, Justin Jackson, Jaylen Samuels, Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson Jr., Jordan Wilkins, CJ Anderson, Chris Warren,

WR - Davante Adams , T.Y. Hilton, Courtland Sutton, Devin Funchess, Doug Baldwin, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Callaway, J’Mon Moore, Dylan Cantrell, Keith Kirkwood, James Richie

TE - Zach Ertz, Harris Demetrius, Hayden Hurst

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: What is the best kind of league and why

Postby DJB » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:29 pm

Super flex half ppr

Increases value for QB considerably making them more than simply an after thought in trades.

Half PPR is perfect combo which wont favor WR in PPR or RB in non ppr.

That's my favorite league personally.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:34 pm

I thoroughly enjoy 2 QB. I think Superflex is a must these days, especially with you disliking the 1 QB values. I think the issue in 2 QB is the values are sometimes too inflated or in leagues I am in, there is a 4 QB max any owner can hold to at least cut some hording. That's all fine but at least in SF you have the option at starting someone else.

My rule of thumb is having 3 QB in SF and 4 in 2 QB.

I've never played in 2 TE or anything TE premium but I do like 3 WR instead of 2. Its an easy way of being able to dig deeper into the WR position but also cuts down in some of the value of RB due to scarcity. More demand for WR as well basically. Multiple flex spots can achieve the same balance but I still like the one flex spot personally.

That's all I can think of as fast as starting requirements. In terms of scoring, fractional is a must (.04 for 1 pass yard, 0.1 for each rush and rec yard). Ppr or at least half ppr

We are discussing fractional defensive scoring and I'd like to hear if anyone else does it. Makes sense from a technical standpoint... defense starts with 12.5 points and loses points for each yard and point given up. Would reach 0 points at 400 yards and 28 points is the point we have set, before adding in INT, sacks, etc.

Oh, and NO KICKER!

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:08 pm

One that doesn't allow loaning of players.....................................

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:16 pm

AussieMate wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:08 pm One that doesn't allow loaning of players.....................................
x2

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:37 pm

Lots of starters makes it more fun IMO.

I like superflex with start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1TE, 1 Sflex, 5 flex. This gives owners maximum flexibility in building their roster.

And I only play in NPL leagues....

Non Player Loaning

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:00 pm

DJB wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:29 pm Super flex half ppr

Increases value for QB considerably making them more than simply an after thought in trades.

Half PPR is perfect combo which wont favor WR in PPR or RB in non ppr.

That's my favorite league personally.
x2... that's the one right there.
10 team .5 PPR SF

QB - Mahomes, Jackson, Hurts, Zach Wilson
RB - Saquon, Chubb, AJD, Dobbins, Penny, Gio, T. Jones
WR - Hill, AJB, Diggs, Sutton, Jeudy, Bateman, Watkins, Slayton, Callaway
TE - Goedert, Pitts, OJH, Cook
Taxi - Mims, D. Brown, Jacob Harris

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Super flex is the must. IDP is ideal.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:44 am

My favourite is superflex half ppr with idp, although I wish our idp scoring was slightly higher as to raise the worth and get more trades involving both sides of the ball.

DynastyDeepDive
Starter
Starter

Postby DynastyDeepDive » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:12 am

Have to have deep rosters to be able to pick up deep sleeper players. Shallow leagues are no fun.
In too many leagues to list players. Check out my Dynasty Deep Dive!

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:33 am

Definitely piling on the SF/2QB bandwagon, I really enjoy my remaining 1QB leagues but I won't be joining anymore of them from here on out.

No K/D, just too unpredictable scoring wise and pretty luck based.

I've always played full ppr and I like it so I probably won't be changing.

TE premium is ok, but I like 2TE more with no scoring bonuses for the position as a way of increasing the value/importance of TEs.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:57 am

jtsmalls wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:12 am Have to have deep rosters to be able to pick up deep sleeper players. Shallow leagues are no fun.
This. That perfect balance is key. I like my 10 team, 24 man rosters but there are a bit of names out there that I know could be rostered. I like being able to pick up guys easily sometimes, but not that I have to drop a big name. Also, way too deep can just be too complicated and worrying about guys that will never see the field

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:57 am

I'd definitely go with a large roster, superflex, TE premium.

1 point per first down, zero ppr. Double header schedule with victory points.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:30 am

I would honestly love a PPR (or .5 PPR) Superflex, 2TE, IDP with a ton of starters and bench.

I do not have a league that has all of those things. I am in 2 leagues. One Superflex/2TE and one IDP.

aaaaaaaack
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby aaaaaaaack » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:39 am

Started a Dynasty this year, first time for all managers! Here are the setting we decided on:

12 Team - 26 Roster Spots - 2 IR
.5PPR, .5PPFD (points per first down), .03 Points per Passing Yard (typically this is .02 or .025)
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, SuperFlex, WR/RB/TE, K, DST

A little over halfway through our first season here are some of my initial takeaways:
  • Love the balance of the scoring system. The combo of .5PPR and .5PPFD works out to be something closer to .75PPR, but where it really helps boost players is for TEs and short yardage or non pass catching RBs. One of my goals in creating a scoring system was to help make the pool of relevant players slightly deeper and I feel like this helps accomplish that. Plus rewarding first downs just feels right since they are always important plays in the real game!
  • We nerfed QBs passing yards slightly as some people in the league had concerns about adding in SF, making this alteration keeps QBs as still the preferred option in the SF spot, but reduces the total dominance of the position.
  • 26 Roster Spots (11 starters and 15 bench) seems like a good starting point. Allows you to stash a bunch of young talent, but still keeps the Waiver Wire somewhat active. I figure you can always add roster spots down the line, but you can never take them away!
  • If I had my way, we would do away with K and DST. I'll try to convince people these positions aren't really appropriate for Dynasty in the offseason :P
  • I would add in at least one more Flex position. Starting more people is just more fun when you have such deep benches and makes it slightly harder for the top teams to have great options at every position.
  • I would love to add in a couple Taxi Squad spots. Hard to convince my league-mates of this one as well, they worry about the waiver wire being too shallow (they are a stubborn bunch!)
12 Team - .5 PPR, .5PPFD, SF
QBx1 RBx2 WRx3 SFx1 FLEXx1

QB: Mahomes, Herbert, Mayfield, Foles, Trubisky, Eason
RB: CMC, Jacobs, CEH, David Johnson, Mike Davis, Bell, Royce Freeman
WR: Adams, Godwin, Robinson, Allen, McLaurin, Cooks, Marquise Brown, Crowder
TE: Kittle, Logan Thomas, Hurst, Kmet

2.03, 3.07, 4.10, 5.10

2018 CHAMP, 2019 5th, 2020 3rd