General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Who are the studs coming in 2019

Postby stoneghost28 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:04 pm

XxBallMeBlazerxX wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:13 pm
stoneghost28 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:54 pm
XxBallMeBlazerxX wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:38 am I think a lot of people are overlooking this class, especially the rb’s, which is good for the people who bought up picks or plan on buying up picks. Yeah there aren’t many, if any, players we would call elite or get hyped up over but there are a good amount of solid players that have potential to post wr2/rb2 numbers or maybe low end wr1/rb1 numbers in the right system. Some players have their question marks but what prospect doesn’t? Everyone is a risk and if that’s not something you’re comfortable with then you might be better off trading all your draft picks away every year for players in the league already.

If I was looking to trade my picks out of this draft cause I wasn’t sold on it, I would be looking to get players I think are on the rise back in return and I would wait until after the combine to trade and hope an owner gets excited over someone’s measurables. If I had the 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3, I would take the risk and wait until after the draft in hopes that a few of these players landed in what other owners think are favorable spots. I wouldn’t make trading for picks in next year’s draft my main focus because nothing is a guarantee and next year I am willing to bet that people will question whether 2020’s class is actually as good as it was hyped to be. So much could happen (lost starting job, suspended/cut from team, down year, injury, return back to school, etc.) from now until players declare for the 2020 draft.
Nothing is a guarantee, but I can reasonably presume 2020 will be better than this in terms of RB, it will also have greater clarity at the RB position with teams, consider the odd situation league wide in terms of RB since the '15-'18 classes essentially filled the RB starter position for more than 70-75% of the leagues teams. Who actually needs or could need a RB going into the '19 draft, for sure?

Buffalo: They seem almost like a lock, but have a lot of needs.

NYJ: They like McGuire

Miami: Who knows? Drake, Ballage? Again, no idea?

Baltimore: They've been getting by with Undrafted Free Agents the past two years, do they move on considering the design of their offense heading into '19?

Houston: Is it Foreman?

Oakland: There isn't a starter on the roster that they can feel confident in.

Denver: Lindsay's hurt, Royce was uneven at best.

Kansas City: They gave whatshisface a two year extension, but will they sit on the position with Ware looking done?

Jacksonville: Really, really irate about the behavior and injury issues of Fournette. Their own fault for insanely over drafting him when they needed a QB. Broke the team with that horrible draft pick.

Tampa Bay: Want to move on past Peyton, can't trust Ronald.

San Francisco: Never really got to see McKinnon in the offense, and Breida can't stay healthy.

Washington: Guice has that infection complication.

One could go on and on, but a ton of teams have their RB position absolutely locked in and of those that don't, most of them either just have ancillary issues and won't place a premium on the position in the offseason, or have enough talent to focus elsewhere, the only teams I'd be shocked to see pass on a RB would probably be Buffalo, Oakland, Miami, Houston, KC, and probably Tampa and that's it, and amongst those teams, the only teams that would excite me would be Houston, and KC.. The rest are bad teams with bad offenses or in Tampa's case, just a mess of problems and a bad OL.

This is not a fun RB landing spot draft like '17 and '18 could've been, and was in some cases. Too many teams solved their RB issues with the past four drafts.
Because of situation you’re saying this running back class takes a hit. Situation should trump talent? You could probably add Green Bay, Atlanta, New Orleans, Philadelphia to that list. Maybe even Pittsburgh and Indianapolis.

No, it shouldn't, trump talent, but I am also a firm believer that this is a questionable class at best in terms of RB, no where near as good as '15, '17 or '18, though probably not as bad as '16 either.

My point was, when you add the facts that the vast bulk of the RB's did not get an up arrow based on their '18 performance, to the fact that the vast majority of teams in the league have now already addressed their RB positions, you get only a few open squads for these guys to be picked by, and many of these teams suck (I don't think Green Bay is drafting a RB, New Orleans, and Philly might though, I'd cross Indy off that list after they drafted 3 RB's in the past two classes, Atlanta is also an interesting option, Ito is the Coleman replacement, do they move on from Freeman in '19, '20 or '21?) though you do provide a couple of landing spots that look enticing. We'll see, if there's value in the class, it's that nobody has any clue who should be the #1, #2, #3, or #4 RB, and any hard and fast list is going to be prone to a great deal more opportunity for mistakes then say 2017 or 2018, you could easily get the best RB in the '19 class with the fifth or sixth RB off the board, that's the only reason I have any interest in the position this time around.

XxBallMeBlazerxX
Rookie
Rookie

Postby XxBallMeBlazerxX » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:10 pm

stoneghost28 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:04 pm
XxBallMeBlazerxX wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:13 pm
stoneghost28 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:54 pm

Nothing is a guarantee, but I can reasonably presume 2020 will be better than this in terms of RB, it will also have greater clarity at the RB position with teams, consider the odd situation league wide in terms of RB since the '15-'18 classes essentially filled the RB starter position for more than 70-75% of the leagues teams. Who actually needs or could need a RB going into the '19 draft, for sure?

Buffalo: They seem almost like a lock, but have a lot of needs.

NYJ: They like McGuire

Miami: Who knows? Drake, Ballage? Again, no idea?

Baltimore: They've been getting by with Undrafted Free Agents the past two years, do they move on considering the design of their offense heading into '19?

Houston: Is it Foreman?

Oakland: There isn't a starter on the roster that they can feel confident in.

Denver: Lindsay's hurt, Royce was uneven at best.

Kansas City: They gave whatshisface a two year extension, but will they sit on the position with Ware looking done?

Jacksonville: Really, really irate about the behavior and injury issues of Fournette. Their own fault for insanely over drafting him when they needed a QB. Broke the team with that horrible draft pick.

Tampa Bay: Want to move on past Peyton, can't trust Ronald.

San Francisco: Never really got to see McKinnon in the offense, and Breida can't stay healthy.

Washington: Guice has that infection complication.

One could go on and on, but a ton of teams have their RB position absolutely locked in and of those that don't, most of them either just have ancillary issues and won't place a premium on the position in the offseason, or have enough talent to focus elsewhere, the only teams I'd be shocked to see pass on a RB would probably be Buffalo, Oakland, Miami, Houston, KC, and probably Tampa and that's it, and amongst those teams, the only teams that would excite me would be Houston, and KC.. The rest are bad teams with bad offenses or in Tampa's case, just a mess of problems and a bad OL.

This is not a fun RB landing spot draft like '17 and '18 could've been, and was in some cases. Too many teams solved their RB issues with the past four drafts.
Because of situation you’re saying this running back class takes a hit. Situation should trump talent? You could probably add Green Bay, Atlanta, New Orleans, Philadelphia to that list. Maybe even Pittsburgh and Indianapolis.

No, it shouldn't, trump talent, but I am also a firm believer that this is a questionable class at best in terms of RB, no where near as good as '15, '17 or '18, though probably not as bad as '16 either.

My point was, when you add the facts that the vast bulk of the RB's did not get an up arrow based on their '18 performance, to the fact that the vast majority of teams in the league have now already addressed their RB positions, you get only a few open squads for these guys to be picked by, and many of these teams suck (I don't think Green Bay is drafting a RB, New Orleans, and Philly might though, I'd cross Indy off that list after they drafted 3 RB's in the past two classes, Atlanta is also an interesting option, Ito is the Coleman replacement, do they move on from Freeman in '19, '20 or '21?) though you do provide a couple of landing spots that look enticing. We'll see, if there's value in the class, it's that nobody has any clue who should be the #1, #2, #3, or #4 RB, and any hard and fast list is going to be prone to a great deal more opportunity for mistakes then say 2017 or 2018, you could easily get the best RB in the '19 class with the fifth or sixth RB off the board, that's the only reason I have any interest in the position this time around.
Comparing this class to others is irrelevant because you’re not choosing from a pool of players from all of those classes combined. You have to look at the talent from this class alone and judging from it, there are nfl caliber rb’s. You’re right that there isn’t any sure fire guarantees and there has been an influx of running back prospects the past couple drafts that would factor into the amount of available opportunities but as you have seen, situations can change at the drop of a dime. Injuries happen, falling out happens, better fits for the system happen.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:12 am

Supposedly Kyler Murray is going to enter the draft.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:35 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:12 am Supposedly Kyler Murray is going to enter the draft.
Lol last thing I read he was going to bail on his NFL career, I know the risk was known by the Oakland A's but if I was a fan I'd be filthy. The A's should have stipulated that he wouldn't play this year as it was this year his stock flew up. I usually don't worry about height overly but if the college team says 5'10" then I'd be worried it's closer to 5'9" as they always pad the heights.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:55 am

For Murray, which would you rather:

- Get drafted in the first 2 rounds, which seems likely with this QB class. And have a chance to be a Day 1 starter. Also a video where Kingsbury said he'd take Kyler 1 overall, and now the Rosen trade rumors are starting lol.

- Report to Spring Training, and more than likely, get sent down to the minor leagues for multiple years and who knows if he progresses enough for the A's to bring him back up? At some point, I imagine they would anyways since he was the 9th overall pick and you'd have to see if he sinks or swims. Can't say I follow NCAA baseball much and although, yes he plays 2 sports which is impressive, Murray's stats aren't mindboggling. I guess you'd just pray that once he can fully dedicate himself to baseball, he'll really take off...

Sure, if he flames out in the NFL, your career is 4/5 years max but you could be a lifetime minor leaguer in the MLB.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 am

He's a long way off from making big money in baseball past what he got for being drafted. I'm not a big baseball guy and certainly no scout, but from what I've heard about him he is truly a baseball "prospect" not a player right now. He has all the tools to potentially be an All-Star CF, but needs a lot of work to get his skills up to par. He would probably need a minimum of two years in the minors before he's ready for the majors, add another due to the common practice of service time manipulation. He then needs 6 years of MLB service time to qualify for MLB free agency, so that's 8-9 years before he gets his big baseball payday, and that's if he's actually good and not another in the long line of great prospects that can never develop.

Going to the NFL and being a 1st round pick would guarantee him a lot more money right away, with the next contract coming much sooner. He would also be far more marketable for endorsements as a starting NFL QB than he would as a baseball player at anytime in his career, unless maybe if he becomes a HOF player. If he gets drafted 1st round he will play an absolute minimum 4 years, barring catastrophic injury or off field issue, and make more than whatever his "guaranteed" money is. For reference Lamar Jackson as the last pick of the 1st round last year has "only" $8 million guaranteed, but there's practically no chance he is cut before the contract ends so he will make more than that, plus probably get his 5th year option picked up at around $10 - $15 million.

Overall Murray would stand to make $15 -$30 million at least over the span of a 1st round contract, depending on where he gets drafted. Plus whatever he makes off the field. All together he stands to make more money in football (especially early) than baseball.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:27 am

bjd5211 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 am He's a long way off from making big money in baseball past what he got for being drafted. I'm not a big baseball guy and certainly no scout, but from what I've heard about him he is truly a baseball "prospect" not a player right now. He has all the tools to potentially be an All-Star CF, but needs a lot of work to get his skills up to par. He would probably need a minimum of two years in the minors before he's ready for the majors, add another due to the common practice of service time manipulation. He then needs 6 years of MLB service time to qualify for MLB free agency, so that's 8-9 years before he gets his big baseball payday, and that's if he's actually good and not another in the long line of great prospects that can never develop.

Going to the NFL and being a 1st round pick would guarantee him a lot more money right away, with the next contract coming much sooner. He would also be far more marketable for endorsements as a starting NFL QB than he would as a baseball player at anytime in his career, unless maybe if he becomes a HOF player. If he gets drafted 1st round he will play an absolute minimum 4 years, barring catastrophic injury or off field issue, and make more than whatever his "guaranteed" money is. For reference Lamar Jackson as the last pick of the 1st round last year has "only" $8 million guaranteed, but there's practically no chance he is cut before the contract ends so he will make more than that, plus probably get his 5th year option picked up at around $10 - $15 million.

Overall Murray would stand to make $15 -$30 million at least over the span of a 1st round contract, depending on where he gets drafted. Plus whatever he makes off the field. All together he stands to make more money in football (especially early) than baseball.
Well stated. Unless he can take off fast in baseball, football is probably the better financial choice. Plus, he gets longer offseasons in football, and yeah, the endorsements/visibility is going to likely be higher.

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:23 am

Servo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:55 am For Murray, which would you rather:

- Get drafted in the first 2 rounds, which seems likely with this QB class. And have a chance to be a Day 1 starter. Also a video where Kingsbury said he'd take Kyler 1 overall, and now the Rosen trade rumors are starting lol.

- Report to Spring Training, and more than likely, get sent down to the minor leagues for multiple years and who knows if he progresses enough for the A's to bring him back up? At some point, I imagine they would anyways since he was the 9th overall pick and you'd have to see if he sinks or swims. Can't say I follow NCAA baseball much and although, yes he plays 2 sports which is impressive, Murray's stats aren't mindboggling. I guess you'd just pray that once he can fully dedicate himself to baseball, he'll really take off...

Sure, if he flames out in the NFL, your career is 4/5 years max but you could be a lifetime minor leaguer in the MLB.
I would be shocked if he doesn't go in the first if he does commit to football, even with his height concerns. Which reinforces your point even further.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:28 am

tresskid84 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:23 am
Servo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:55 am For Murray, which would you rather:

I would be shocked if he doesn't go in the first if he does commit to football, even with his height concerns. Which reinforces your point even further.
Ya, the 5th year team option on 1st round picks gives teams a massive insentive to take players, especially QBs, in the first round versus early in the 2nd. Look at Dak as a 4th round pick, the Cowboys are probably going to have to extend him this offseason at near market value. Opposed to having an extra year at controlled cost and to further evaluate him to decide if they really want to extend him.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:47 am

Does anyone have any thought on LJ Scott? I was very intrigued last year and then he decided to stay in college. He was injured a lot this year but I like the way he runs. Reminds me of a Mixon/Bell type.

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:58 am

Bot101 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:47 am Does anyone have any thought on LJ Scott? I was very intrigued last year and then he decided to stay in college. He was injured a lot this year but I like the way he runs. Reminds me of a Mixon/Bell type.
As a PSU fan, I think he is fine. Based on the games I've watched of him, I don't think he is on their level, esp in the passing game, but in the right situation, given opportunity, I think he will produce. He does run hard and broke a lot of tackles in college and I don't see too much of a problem with him catching the ball, on a whole, but I don't see a top rb talent.
2 SF, 8 Flex

WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW

WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:25 am

2nd round picks do not make "$15-30m guaranteed" more like 3-4. The 15th pick will make about $15m. As a 1st rounder in baseball he probably got ~3. But yall are missing the point anyways, if he wants to walk and not have brain injuries at age 40 he should pick baseball. He's going to be comfortable on money either way.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:46 am

Krypto_King wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:25 am 2nd round picks do not make "$15-30m guaranteed" more like 3-4. The 15th pick will make about $15m. As a 1st rounder in baseball he probably got ~3. But yall are missing the point anyways, if he wants to walk and not have brain injuries at age 40 he should pick baseball. He's going to be comfortable on money either way.
He's going to be a 1st round pick, and he's going to make more than whatever the "guarantee" is because there's no chance he gets cut during his rookie deal. Lamar is getting about $10 million total over the first 4 years of his deal as the last pick of the 1st round, that's double what Kyler got for baseball, plus Lamar's 5th year option will come in at another $10 million+. Agree with it or not Kyler will be a 1st round pick and most likely top 10. He'll make a lot more in football than baseball unless everything goes wrong in football and everything goes right in baseball.

And you are way over exaggerating the "if he wants to be able to walk and have a brain" thing especially with all the new rules and legislation they are putting in to protecting QBs (which is the position he plays btw).

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:20 pm

heyfeefellskee wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:00 pm
dynastyninja wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:23 am There's definitely guys who have the potential to do something, but there aren't many surefire prospects like 2018.
I'm not sure we had that many surefire prospects in 2018.

Looking at mizelle's ADP data from September, we had (in order):
-Barkley
-Guice
-Penny
-Michel
-Jones
-Chubb
-Kerryon
-Freeman
-Moore
-Sutton
-Ridley
-Kirk

How many of those guys outside of Barkley did we consider "surefire" coming into the draft?

Personally, I'd say Barkley and Chubb were the major ones--though Chubb's ADP of 1.6 indicates not everyone felt that way.
Fantasy footballers are notorious for being just about the worst hindsighters in existence.

No one outside of Barkley was "sure-fire". Not even close.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:37 pm

Vcize wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:20 pm
heyfeefellskee wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:00 pm
dynastyninja wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:23 am There's definitely guys who have the potential to do something, but there aren't many surefire prospects like 2018.
I'm not sure we had that many surefire prospects in 2018.

Looking at mizelle's ADP data from September, we had (in order):
-Barkley
-Guice
-Penny
-Michel
-Jones
-Chubb
-Kerryon
-Freeman
-Moore
-Sutton
-Ridley
-Kirk

How many of those guys outside of Barkley did we consider "surefire" coming into the draft?

Personally, I'd say Barkley and Chubb were the major ones--though Chubb's ADP of 1.6 indicates not everyone felt that way.
Fantasy footballers are notorious for being just about the worst hindsighters in existence.

No one outside of Barkley was "sure-fire". Not even close.
I always knew Phillip Lindsay would beat out Royce Freeman and be a top RB this year!!!

2 SF, 8 Flex