ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Who are the studs coming in 2019

Postby ArrylT » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:11 am

Just for fun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Banks

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcspor ... _size.html

Lightest player ever to play in NFL recently I believe.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Dynos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Dynos » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:23 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:47 am
alewilliam789 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:51 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:55 am

If you're passing on Brown because he's 170 lbs, then you're scouting WRs poorly. Weight can be gained; separation skills and route running are not as easy. Most things that translate into being a good WR, Brown does.

Metcalf is talented but size and straight line speed doesn't necessarily make you a great WR.
There has never been a top 10 PPR WR at his weight relative to his height in the last 8+ years. To me I’ll play the statistics
I'm so confused as to why we're acting like weight doesn't change. Plus, it's no longer a critical component of being a great WR.
hey cameron you seem good in analysing wr. How do you do, to see good route running?
2019 Champion! 2022 Champion!

Team 1: Superflex, Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 flex WR/TE,1 Sflex

QB:P. Mahomes, R.Tannehill, J.Hurts
RB: E.Elliott,James Robinson, Chris Carson, L.Fournette, T.Etienne , Tony Pollard,hassan haskins,donta foreman, jaylen warren
WR: Justin Jefferson A.J Brown, M.Thomas, Marquise Brown, T.Lockett, skyy moore, romeo doubs, alec pierce Donovan Peoples-Jones, J.Palmer
TE: kyle pitts, juwan johnson,mckitty

2021 Champion!
Team 2: Superflex, Start 1Qb, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex Wr/TE. 1 SFlex, 1 Flex RB/WR/TE
QB: J.Herbert, Z.Wilson, K.Cousins, K.Pickett,K.Mond
RB: J.Taylor, JK Dobbins, N.Harris, N.Hines, G.Edwards, James Cook, J.Ford, Dameon Pierce, P.Strong, D.Foreman (Jermaine Burton Devy)
WR: J.Chase,Garett Wilson , B.Aiyuk, C.Sutton, R.Bateman, G.Davis, M.Hardman,J.Palmer,
TE: D.Waller R.Tonyan, B.Jordan, Cameron Brate, Cade Otton, G.Everett

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:33 am

If you're passing on Brown because he's 170 lbs, then you're scouting WRs poorly. Weight can be gained; separation skills and route running are not as easy. Most things that translate into being a good WR, Brown does.

Metcalf is talented but size and straight line speed doesn't necessarily make you a great WR.
There has never been a top 10 PPR WR at his weight relative to his height in the last 8+ years. To me I’ll play the statistics
I'm so confused as to why we're acting like weight doesn't change. Plus, it's no longer a critical component of being a great WR.
Okay let me rephrase. There’s never been a top 10 PPR WR at his height that has weighed in at 169 lbs. Even if he comes in at 175 lbs at the combine the odds are still pretty against him due to older breakout age.
I may or may not be related to Bryan Edwards

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:35 am

Dynos wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:23 am

hey cameron you seem good in analysing wr. How do you do, to see good route running?
At the end of the season, Matt Harmon releases Reception Perception numbers to show the route trees players run, separation numbers, and their success against press. Those numbers help a lot in telling you who's ahead of the curve as a WR.

Tape wise, draft breakdown is a good resource and you'll see it in action. It won't be A22, but there will be replays in there that show releases, routes, how they look in/out the break and small things that create separation.

To me, these are the things that matter the most. Size, athleticism and speed are cool, but those only get you so far until you add substance to your game. It's why someone like Devante Parker hasn't reached his potential.
Last edited by Cameron Giles on Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:36 am

alewilliam789 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:33 am

Okay let me rephrase. There’s never been a top 10 PPR WR at his height that has weighed in at 169 lbs. Even if he comes in at 175 lbs at the combine the odds are still pretty against him due to older breakout age.
And again, it doesn't matter. Players can gain weight. If he bulks up to 185, then what are you going to talk about? It's easy to gain weight, it's not easy to be a good WR.

Breakout age is a notable thing, but it doesn't determine success either.

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:43 am

Okay let me rephrase. There’s never been a top 10 PPR WR at his height that has weighed in at 169 lbs at the Combine. Even if he comes in at 175 lbs at the combine the odds are still pretty against him due to older breakout age of ever becoming a top 10 WR and certainly not worth a top 5 pick in rookie draft pick even in a weaker class.

I don’t disagree with his ability as a WR, but its worrying at 169 lbs as a junior because it makes you question how much more his frame can put on while maintaining his functional athleticism. I play the odds.

Two things I check right off the bat are breakout age and Dominator Rating.

Every receiver thats been among the top 10 WRs for 2 or more years has had a Dominator Rating of 30%+ and at least a 50th percentile Breakout Age. There’s literally been only one player (Michael Thomas) in recent history that has repeated as a top 10 PPR WR that has below a 50th percentile Breakout Age.

Once they cleared the measurable hurdles you rank by film.

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:53 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:36 am
alewilliam789 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:33 am

And again, it doesn't matter. Players can gain weight. If he bulks up to 185, then what are you going to talk about? It's easy to gain weight, it's not easy to be a good WR.

Breakout age is a notable thing, but it doesn't determine success either.

Like I said if he does weigh in at 185 at the combine the odds drastically change. I mean think of it this way. I have a 5’10” stocky high school brother that weighs 165 lbs. He’s freaking tiny dude. And just by looking at his frame i doubt he’ll add 15 pounds. But I’ll eat my words if he does.

Like i said hes not a bad WR, the tape shows that, but unless he weighs in above 185 like you say i think he has a fat chance at becoming a relevant fantasy WR.

Put this into perspective:

Wes Welker was about 5’8” and even in college weighed 185.

Wes Welker I’m pretty sure is the only player to repeat top 10 PPR WR seasons at that weight/height too. Dont quote me on that one tho

Brown at 5’10” is 17 pounds less right now barring him gaining 20 pounds from here till the combine

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:57 am

alewilliam789 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:43 am

Okay let me rephrase. There’s never been a top 10 PPR WR at his height that has weighed in at 169 lbs at the Combine. Even if he comes in at 175 lbs at the combine the odds are still pretty against him due to older breakout age of ever becoming a top 10 WR and certainly not worth a top 5 pick in rookie draft pick even in a weaker class.

I don’t disagree with his ability as a WR, but its worrying at 169 lbs as a junior because it makes you question how much more his frame can put on while maintaining his functional athleticism. I play the odds.

Every receiver thats been among the top 10 WRs for 2 or more years has had a Dominator Rating of 30%+ and at least a 50th percentile Breakout Age. There’s literally been only one player (Michael Thomas) in recent history that has repeated as a top 10 PPR WR that has below a 50th percentile Breakout Age.

I used to follow these numbers heavily, but at some point you realize that you can't boil down a WR to Breakout and Dominator. There's too much that goes into the position. You can grade well in those stats and still fail in the NFL.

I'm not calling Brown the next Top 5 WR. I'm just saying that the things he does well typically translate into very good NFL WRs. And weight is not a factor in it, because it's a fluctuating number.

My process is different. I'm eye test first and metrics last.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:04 pm

Im going to go on a hunch and suggest M Brown is this years most controversial prospect lol
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:08 pm

There's definitely no clear cut #1 option this year like we've seen in the past (Barkley, Zeke, Fournette, etc), take that for what you will, maybe that means early picks aren't worth as much this year because on paper there's probably going to be good rookie value across the board.

I wonder if we're going to see a lot of WR drafted early this year, similarly to all the RBs last year? The guys I'm most interested in today are:

Big WR
---------------------------------
- AJ Brown: felt like he put up most of his number versus subpar opponents.

- DK Metcalf: huge measurables and nice production but concerning injury history now

- DeMarkus Lodge: Feel he's the sleeper to be the best of the Ole Miss trio

- N'Keal Harry

- Kelvin Harmon

- Collin Johnson

- Anthony Johnson: looks like a pretty shitty campaign so far after having a big 2017

- JJ Arcega-Whiteside

- David Sills

Smaller WR
-------------------------------

- Hollywood Brown

- Hunter Renfrow

- Maybe Deebo Samuel?

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:11 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:57 am
alewilliam789 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:43 am

I used to follow these numbers heavily, but at some point you realize that you can't boil down a WR to Breakout and Dominator. There's too much that goes into the position. You can grade well in those stats and still fail in the NFL.

I'm not calling Brown the next Top 5 WR. I'm just saying that the things he does well typically translate into very good NFL WRs. And weight is not a factor in it, because it's a fluctuating number.

My process is different. I'm eye test first and metrics last.
Yeah I understand you can’t boil down every WR to Dominator Rating and Breakout Age. The omission here is the fact that it’s only repeat as a top 10 WRs so essentially the studs. It’s because so many different body types and skillsets can succeed and find success as NFL WRs and for fantasy teams without being a top 10 WR. Brown may be successful in the NFL as a deep threat and quick twitch nightmare on sweeps and what not, but when I’m selecting with a top 5-10 rookie pick I want the best odds at getting a stud. That to me is someone who fits the prototype relative to their height (I separate WRs by height between 6’0” and below, 6’1”, and 6’2” and above), the analytical profile (Dominator Rating and Breakout Age), and they also show me the skills necessary to be a stud on film

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:15 pm

I haven’t watched a lot of Renfroe so I’ll go check him out today

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:19 pm

alewilliam789 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:15 pm I haven’t watched a lot of Renfroe so I’ll go check him out today
I hate Clemson and I hate Renfrow lol, not a huge producer but I could see him being a reliable Slot or WR3 for an offense. I mean hell, fellow Clemson alum Adam Humphries has had a decent NFL career...and Renfrow is a lot better than him.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Speaking of eye tests, Arcegia Whiteside does not do it for me at all. He will not be on any of my teams.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

alewilliam789
All Pro
All Pro

Postby alewilliam789 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:49 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:29 pm Speaking of eye tests, Arcegia Whiteside does not do it for me at all. He will not be on any of my teams.
Agreed! Doesn’t look like he has the quickness necessary to separate out of his breaks and lacks elite long speed.

The two most interesting players to me in this WR class are:

Collin Johnson Texas
Dointae Johnson Toledo

Johnson tracks the ball very well over his shoulder, is a good route runner, and exhibits an ability to go up and get it as a big guy. Very interested to see how he tests.

Dointae Johnson is a small guy at 5’10”, but he’s been very productive, exhibits good ball skills for a smaller WR, has some downfield speed, is physical, very good at making people miss.

DJ is my secret, but honestly later in draft season nobody will be a secret