Thoughts On Mariota??

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Thoughts On Mariota??

Postby Easy Breesy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:01 pm

He is clearly struggling so far this season but just wondering what others think about him will he turn it around? He is very young and has played better in the past what does everyone think? I liked him in Oregon which is why I might be trading for him in one of my leagues (2 QB)
16 team Tiered PPR league, TE Premium, 52 man roster, 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1W/R, 1TE/W, Full IDP
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert
RB- Antonio Gibson Ty Johnson, David Johnson Lat Murray
WR- Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, DJ Moore, Cordarelle Patterson,
TE- Hockeson, , Jonnu Smith, Firkser, Logan Thomas

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Thoughts On Mariota??

Postby Servo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:04 pm

I don't think "struggling" is an appropriate word to use for Mariota...he's been downright atrocious + you factor in this nerve injury with his hand/arm.

The entire offense outside of Davis' 1 big game has been something to forget...and it feels like Tennessee's offense was only marginally better last year.

Mefisto
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mefisto » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:10 pm

I like the guy and want to make excuses (injury, oline, coaching) but it would just be me trying to convince myself at this point. I don't know what happened there. In the one league I have him I'm trying to see if anyone still believes in him and make a trade
12 Team Non-PPR league. 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1RB/WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DL, 1LB, 1DB, 2DL/LB/DB
QB: Brady, Stafford, Mariota, Tannehill
RB: L. Miller, A. Collins, K. Drake, R. Freeman, K. Dixon, D. Foreman, D. Murray, J. Allen, Gore
WR: Hopkins, ARob, S. Diggs, D. Parker, M. Lee, J. Matthews, T. Lockett, D. Pettis, Callaway
TE: T. Kelce, E. Ebron, C. Brate
K: Bailey, Coons, Boswell
DL: D. Hunter, R. Quinn, D. Lawrence
LB: Von Miller, A. Ogletree, B. Wagner T. Edmunds
DB: H. Smith, J. Cyprien, L. Collins
2017 Superbowl Champion

10 Team PPR League. Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 1Superflex, 1Flex, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 3DFlex
QB: Luck, Goff, Trubisky, Prescott, Tannehill
RB: Gurley, Mixon, Barkley, D. Foreman
WR: Kupp, Cooper, C. Davis, Parker, T. Lockett, Kupp, W. Fuller, Sutton, John Brown, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Burton
DL: D. Lawrence, Ogunjobi, Ansah, M. Davenport
LB: L. Kuechly, T. Smith, Kiko Alonso, T. Edmunds, J. Smith, R. Foster
DB: Clinton-Dix, D. James, T. Edmunds, M. Jenkins

Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Postby Easy Breesy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Servo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:04 pm I don't think "struggling" is an appropriate word to use for Mariota...he's been downright atrocious + you factor in this nerve injury with his hand/arm.

The entire offense outside of Davis' 1 big game has been something to forget...and it feels like Tennessee's offense was only marginally better last year.
That's fair just seems like hes been so much worse than I thought he would be I haven't had a chance to watch any Titans games but from what I've read his recievers are also just dropping a lot of balls
16 team Tiered PPR league, TE Premium, 52 man roster, 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1W/R, 1TE/W, Full IDP
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:18 pm

I took Mariota, Stafford and Flacco in my superflex startup 2 years ago and thought I was set for a while. I remember telling myself that I didn't necessarily need to draft Mahomes but thank the lawd I did.

I mentioned it before in the "Jonnu Smith" thread where I said, I'm stoked to see Jonnu without Delanie but I don't think I like Mariota anymore...and it's been all downhill ever since.

Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Postby Easy Breesy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:20 pm

Servo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:18 pm I took Mariota, Stafford and Flacco in my superflex startup 2 years ago and thought I was set for a while. I remember telling myself that I didn't necessarily need to draft Mahomes but thank the lawd I did.

I mentioned it before in the "Jonnu Smith" thread where I said, I'm stoked to see Jonnu without Delanie but I don't think I like Mariota anymore...and it's been all downhill ever since.
Yeah for sure in this 2QB league I own Jameis and Matt Ryan (16 teams) so I was trying to go younger at QB with Mariota and Jameis but Mariota has been so disappointing, maybe not having Delanie really messes him up??
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:43 pm

The Titans are currently a perfect storm of terrible offensive performance. There's no one spot to blame, but every single piece seems to be failing. The O-line is a revolving door -- after the Ravens got up on an early 14-0 lead over Tennessee last week the team started blitzing heavy and often. I saw more Cover 0 that game than I can recall seeing in any recent time, and Mariota was completely unable to take advantage of it.

His throws were mostly errant, poor and late, but it's also worth noting that he got sacked eleven bleepin' times. That's more sacks than the Titans allowed in every other game of the season combined... and more sacks than Mariota had passes completed. Sacks are partially a QB stat too, and a few were on Mariota, but I'll be damned if that wasn't one of the worst O-line performances I've seen this year. Mariota's total inability to stretch the field (he's also got nerve damage in his arm which seems very serious) allowed Ravens safeties to play close to the line of scrimmage without any fear, so Henry and Lewis ran into brick walls on just about every play. Corey Davis looks fine for what it's worth, but he's not playing like a transcendent talent or elevating anyone around him. Not that it's reasonable to expect him to be doing such things, obviously. With every single focal point of the offense having collapsed, I think it's just about impossible to evaluate any of the talent here. I certainly don't have the eye to see through this complete haze of incompetence and tell which players would look great in a better situation. I wish I were staying away from the whole thing, but I've got a share or two of Mariota and Davis.

TL;DR: The O-line neuters the passing game, the lack of a passing game lets the defense stack against the run game, and the run game's inability to take off stymies the passing game, and etc and etc...

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:48 pm

If I'm counting correctly he's had four different head coaches and three different offensive coordinators in four seasons so far in the NFL. He suffered a broken leg in year two when he was having a bit of a break out. He is currently surrounded by an extremely young and inexperienced group of pass catchers. They have zero run game outside of Mariota's ability to scramble. Mariota has been forced to play through a weird nerve issue in his elbow when it was clear the team wanted to let him rest. The offensive line has been terrible overall.

There are a lot of excuses, none of which make me feel great about Mariota moving forward. But there are a lot of excuses.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:01 pm

btv802 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:48 pm There are a lot of excuses, none of which make me feel great about Mariota moving forward. But there are a lot of excuses.
This sums it up pretty perfectly.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:13 pm

btv802 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:48 pm If I'm counting correctly he's had four different head coaches and three different offensive coordinators in four seasons so far in the NFL.
I meant three HCs :crazy:
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:20 pm

He was dropped this morning in my league. At first I was like ohhhhhh Mariota is available! Then I was like ewwwww Mariota is available, hope someone else steps on that land mine.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:26 pm

He was awesome vs Jacksonville coming in at half and he was great vs Philly. Aside from that, his reads are slow and has no pocket presence. He's heading the wrong way.

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:27 pm

I think he rebounds eventually. I’d buy low. He is the perfect example of a buy low. It’s hard to get an edge in ff these days. Buying low when there are plenty of reasons(excuses) for Mariotas play is a good example of bucking the crowd and buying the fear. McKinnon, Davante Adams, Keenan Allen, Tyler Boyd are all similar in that people were tired of the player or situation and there were plenty of excuses for poor play.

The opposite would be someone like Tevin Coleman who people value somewhat highly yet hasn’t been quite stud we had hoped for when given chances.

Everyone has access to stats. To gain an edge you sometimes need to buy the fear. Even if you have those same feelings of fear.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:54 pm

I get what you're trying to say, but I don't think it's apples to apples.

Green Bay had 2 other receivers while Adams got his crap together.

Chargers had other options while Keenan Allen was getting hurt.

An entire receiving corps and running game are dependent on Mariota. Tennessee already picked up his 5th-year option and they are going to have to pay him handsomely in 2019....I don't know if he has the luxury of more time. I'm not going to say Mariota is the next bust but you have to imagine we're going to see a few of these younger QBs bomb out aka a Paxton Lynch type deal.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:04 pm

So much of what the Titans have done this season is hard to judge individually. As someone said, it's...everything. The offensive line's been injured and regressed. They have no run game. Mariota is either injured or ridiculously inaccurate, and the WR's don't get much to work with. He's a buy low, but I agree with the poster who said that they'd be hesitant to buy because there's nothing encouraging about his game. Remember, people were comparing him to Aaron Rodgers when he came out of college. Right now, he'd be lucky to become Alex Smith or Dak Prescott.