The Courtland Sutton Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Let's talk about Courtland Sutton

Postby Ice » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:13 pm

dm1129 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:34 pm Sutton is absolutely being overlooked by fantasy owners. Sutton's shuttle and agility are freakish for a WR his size and more importantly it translates to his on-the-field play. His feet are extremely quick and his ability to get off the line is excellent. His college production is very misleading. The QB play he had to deal with was absolutely abysmal and the play calling very unimaginitive. Sutton was by far the best weapon SMU had and when he would run his routes(almost always deep), he literally would be double or triple teamed taking the opposing secondary with him. The result was this left the underneath completely open and Trey Quinn to have 114 receptions and over 1200 yards all due to Sutton. With regard to playing soft, I have no idea where that comes from, I do not see it on tape. In camp, he has been nothing short of outstanding. The coaching he received at SMU was not top notch. He is an extremely hard worker and his route running is progressing rapidly. He is by far the best WR in this class and the 1.02 for me.
Not sure he is really being overlooked by all in Fantasy. I have a 1st round grade on him. Today I would compare him to a less polished, poor man's Mike Evans. They are similar type players but Evans is a little bigger in every category.

Like him quite a bit as a possession type. He is a little stronger than Evans in the Upper body with slightly more agility, but a little weaker in the lower body.

Not real crazy about his quickness which could hurt some against top tier DB's. I do like his long speed which is a bit deceptive. I have him 4th best WR with upside behind Gallup, Moore, & Miller personally. He is not as good as those three today out of his breaks or in gear changes IMO.

While 1.2 is a stretch for me personally, there is plenty to really like about this player long term. He should get better with age and experience. We haven't seen the best form this player by a long shot IMO.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:08 pm

I’ve got him as best wr in class. Depending on league format, I could see taking him 1.2.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:24 pm

:wtf:
Valhalla wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:08 pm I’ve got him as best wr in class. Depending on league format, I could see taking him 1.2.
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:39 pm

MrUbuto wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:24 pm :wtf:
Valhalla wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:08 pm I’ve got him as best wr in class. Depending on league format, I could see taking him 1.2.
Eh, it's not that crazy. I personally would take Guice/Penny over him, in any format. But that has more to do with the RB position being so valuable (if you get a stud) and so hard to acquire. On paper, Sutton is an Alshon clone. Probably won't be a studs stud, but could be a WR1 quite easily. He's raw tho and needs polish, but the tools are all there. As Ice says, he's not quick on the field... yet. But he has elite agility testing, I think with some refinement in his routes and all that he could become quick. I kind of think of him as a better DGB with his head actually screwed on straight. He certainly needs work, but what better place to go than to learn from DT and Sanders with no pressure year 1. With all the disappointing WR's over the last few years and overperforming RB's, I understand why he's going to late. But in terms of just overall talent and profile, thinking in a long-term context, he should be a mid-1st at worst in most draft classes.

RCS
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RCS » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:10 pm

He's my WR#1 not even close

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:14 am

I think being teamed up with DT and Manny, will help him considerably. If they use him more in the "X" and start using DT in the slot (like Fitz), he'll certainly have the more favorable match-ups all season long ..

It will be interesting to see how the DEN WR's will line-up this season and how much they use 11 personnel ..
@PlankMelody

kfulen1
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Sutton vs 2019 Draft Class

Postby kfulen1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:22 am

Where would you rank Courtland Sutton against the 2019 draft class?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Sutton vs 2019 Draft Class

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:33 pm

He'd be in the conversation for the 1.01 if he stayed his senior year. This draft class really hasn't shown much midway into the season.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:45 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:33 pm He'd be in the conversation for the 1.01 if he stayed his senior year. This draft class really hasn't shown much midway into the season.
AJ, DK, N'Keal, Collin Johnson, Kelvin Harmon, Bryan Edwards are all playing well, and are all underclassmen. If they all declare, Sutton at 23 with no QB on the horizon vs these guys could go anywhere between 1.01 and 1.06, assuming they all declare. Tough to say right now.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:56 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:45 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:33 pm He'd be in the conversation for the 1.01 if he stayed his senior year. This draft class really hasn't shown much midway into the season.
AJ, DK, N'Keal, Collin Johnson, Kelvin Harmon, Bryan Edwards are all playing well, and are all underclassmen. If they all declare, Sutton at 23 with no QB on the horizon vs these guys could go anywhere between 1.01 and 1.06, assuming they all declare. Tough to say right now.
Metcalf is out for the season with a neck injury. Bryan Edwards is playing alright. I still think Hollywood Brown is the best player in this class right now. But, I don't think he's a prototypical 1.01. To me, it's not a good sign that this class has no depth or a consensus top choice. Some of the WRs are talented, but I'm not sold on the upside.

So, I could easily see Sutton being in the mix if he stayed.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:05 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:56 pm
Metcalf is out for the season with a neck injury. Bryan Edwards is playing alright. I still think Hollywood Brown is the best player in this class right now. But, I don't think he's a prototypical 1.01. To me, it's not a good sign that this class has no depth or a consensus top choice. Some of the WRs are talented, but I'm not sold on the upside.

Didn't know that. That sucks. Wonder if he declares, now? I was wondering why he only had 1 catch last game. Right after Ahmon Richards had to retire from football for a neck injury. Wow. Apparently he was playing special teams when he hurt it. How is that for stupid coaching?

A lot of people had DK at the top WR, curious to see if he stays now, and gets another year in.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:15 pm

From all that I'm reading about this years draft class, as of right now I think he's almost tied with the 1.01 given there doesn't seem to be a lock stud rb coming out. But I'm saying this as a person who thought he was a top 6 pick this year. The fact that he was going in the 2nd of most drafts is mind-blowing. The pre-draft and draft process could change things as we get more information.
Last edited by Dynasty DeLorean on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:15 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:56 pm

He is very good. Worried about his weight, though.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:18 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:05 pmRight after Ahmon Richards had to retire from football for a neck injury. Wow. Apparently he was playing special teams when he hurt it. How is that for stupid coaching?
I could be wrong but I think the injury merely uncovered an underlying condition. He was on my college FFL team.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:20 pm

If you prefer Sutton to the entire '19 class you don't think much of the entire '19 class. If this can be said about Sutton it can be said about a number of young WRs who have yet to prove much.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th