Think about what you say in trade talks

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Re: Think about what you say in trade talks

Postby TheRookiePro » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:51 am

trc wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:44 am Why get so upset with his strategy - if you can get a fair deal done..

He actually see that you don’t have, and could be interested in getting some.. that should at least get some credit
Because it came off as an insulting tactic. It's a passive aggressive way of basically saying, "You're the one who's in need here and you've stepped into this negotiation as the weakest team. I'm here to give you what you need and you're going to do it out of necessity."

And it didn't end our negotiations but it definitely hurt them after I told him to stop making reference to my picks.
10 Team PPR, 25 man roster(1st and 2nd year player PS option for $20), QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX (RB,WR,TE), K, DEF.

QB-Luck, A. Smith, Fitzpatrick
RB-Gurley, M. Gordon, Jeff Wilson, Tevin Coleman,T. Montgomery, John Kelly, Justin Davis
WR-K. Allen, T. Hill, Josh Gordon, Golladay, Fitzgerald, S. Watkins, J. Reynolds, Enunwa,
TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski
Defense-Vikings, Jaguars, Ravens

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:10 pm

TheRookiePro wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:18 am
skip wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:14 am So you're upset he was suggesting trying to reacquire picks after dealing several away? That's overly sensitive to a very fair point...
No, it's horrible business strategy. Whenever you need to go outside of the options presented in the deal you're reaching. Just because he's offering me picks, it doesn't mean he has to tell me how advantageous the deal would be in order to lose debt from a previous deal.

It shows tremendous weakness and it irks me. And I'm glad it does because it's only made me more patient in the long run and I've owned my league as far as trading is concerned.
I guess I would need to see the discussion. The way you made it sound it was little more than him saying something like, "I thought you might be interested in getting some future picks back after trading them for Gurley". I see nothing at all wrong with that. Isn't the idea in trading to find something that benefits both sides? If a trade partner thinks you have a weakness at WR and is offering you one in trade, is it wrong for him to say that he thinks you need one?
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:12 pm

hankmurphy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:50 am Was offered a 2020 first in a trade and I replied that I might not be alive in 2020.

Did I jinx myself?
:ugeek: Seems you suffer from a lack of 2020 vision :geek:

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:15 pm

I try not to get top butt hurt when talking to other owners about trades. There are different tactics in buying/selling/trading and whatnot. Some you just don’t agree with. Not worth killing future negotiations with them as it will end up hurting you in the end.

Maybe let them know that you don’t appreciate the way they handled the trade. Maybe they will change their tune and maybe they won’t.

Worth a shot though.

TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Postby TheRookiePro » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:20 pm

skip wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:10 pm I guess I would need to see the discussion. The way you made it sound it was little more than him saying something like, "I thought you might be interested in getting some future picks back after trading them for Gurley". I see nothing at all wrong with that. Isn't the idea in trading to find something that benefits both sides? If a trade partner thinks you have a weakness at WR and is offering you one in trade, is it wrong for him to say that he thinks you need one?
It may sound absurd, but it's more gentlemanly when you don't make reference to it. And it's also weak from a standpoint of making reference to the elephant in the room. I'm not suffering from amnesia, I'm quite aware of the fact that I mortgaged a good bit of my future by acquiring Gurley 6 months ago.
10 Team PPR, 25 man roster(1st and 2nd year player PS option for $20), QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX (RB,WR,TE), K, DEF.

RB-Gurley, M. Gordon, Jeff Wilson, Tevin Coleman,T. Montgomery, John Kelly, Justin Davis
WR-K. Allen, T. Hill, Josh Gordon, Golladay, Fitzgerald, S. Watkins, J. Reynolds, Enunwa,
TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:25 pm

TheRookiePro wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:51 am
trc wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:44 am Why get so upset with his strategy - if you can get a fair deal done..

He actually see that you don’t have, and could be interested in getting some.. that should at least get some credit
Because it came off as an insulting tactic. It's a passive aggressive way of basically saying, "You're the one who's in need here and you've stepped into this negotiation as the weakest team. I'm here to give you what you need and you're going to do it out of necessity."

And it didn't end our negotiations but it definitely hurt them after I told him to stop making reference to my picks.
I don't get why it is insulting?
It's like 'Hey I see you don't have any picks, I have some - lets strike a deal'.
Words way to often get misunderstood. Unless that guy has a long list of being a prick, don't read to much into words.

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:29 pm

TheRookiePro wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:20 pm
skip wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:10 pm I guess I would need to see the discussion. The way you made it sound it was little more than him saying something like, "I thought you might be interested in getting some future picks back after trading them for Gurley". I see nothing at all wrong with that. Isn't the idea in trading to find something that benefits both sides? If a trade partner thinks you have a weakness at WR and is offering you one in trade, is it wrong for him to say that he thinks you need one?
It may sound absurd, but it's more gentlemanly when you don't make reference to it. And it's also weak from a standpoint of making reference to the elephant in the room. I'm not suffering from amnesia, I'm quite aware of the fact that I mortgaged a good bit of my future by acquiring Gurley 6 months ago.
Different person, different strategy.
By him being outspoken you know upfront why he reaches out - instead of banter back and forth by just sending trade offers, you can actually stop it ealier and save time.

TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Postby TheRookiePro » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:38 pm

trc wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:25 pm I don't get why it is insulting?
It's like 'Hey I see you don't have any picks, I have some - lets strike a deal'.
Words way to often get misunderstood. Unless that guy has a long list of being a prick, don't read to much into words.
I wouldn't describe it as insulting, but it is belittling. And I don't consider him a prick at all. It could just be competitiveness on my end and not taking kindly to any blatant tactics that try to showcase my team as weak.

Just for reference, I told this owner months before that I considered his team the best coming into the season. So far, I've been proven right. He's leading in total points scored and tomorrow is a show-down between are two teams.

TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:44 pm

I can see both sides of it. It can get really annoying if somebody over explains the dynamics of a trade for my team, but noting he sees i have a need at a certain position is not a huge deal. I dont go out of my way to be a prick usually, but also am not trying to be a gentleman. Im not picking up chicks here, its a competition to take the other guys money. Maybe your wording was meant to be different on that one though.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

PingPwng
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PingPwng » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:46 pm

There isn't an appearance of weakness in this game. It's clear numbers. Your team is either bleep, average, or good.

This is an emotional way to look at it, and it's pointless to tell someone what they should say or not say about your team. It's not going to change their mind. All you should do is tell him that you do or don't have interest in his offer, then make a counter-offer that is in-line with your valuations.

Getting emotional and saying something to just argue with them is more likely to cut off trading with them in the future. That just narrows your trading options and damages you.
Waiver Warriors|12 Teams|1PPR|1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1FLEX/1K/1DEF Roster 21 '14 R/U '17 Champ No '18 picks
QB:C. Newton/J. Goff
RB:T. Gurley/L. Bell NA/M. Mack/J. Mixon/S. Michel/K. Drake/R. Penny
WR:M. Evans/O. Beckham/T. Hill/ T. Boyd/A. Robinson/C. Godwin/D. Westbrook/A. Callaway
TE: I. Thomas/C. Brate/H. Henry (IR) K - M. Prater DEF - CHI

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:12 pm

People are way too sensitive here
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Postby TheRookiePro » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:20 pm

Chwf3rd wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:12 pm People are way too sensitive here
I concur.

TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:43 pm

This whole thread reminds me of Hanlon's Razor:

"Don't attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance."

So the other guy isn't smooth with words. Give him the benefit of the doubt and respond to the offer, not with spite despite him coming off as insulting. It's easier on yourself to brush these things off too.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:53 pm

TheRookiePro wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:20 pm
Chwf3rd wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:12 pm People are way too sensitive here
I concur.
I don't appreciate your condescending "concur" comeback :snooty:

Smoking Guns
Starter
Starter

Postby Smoking Guns » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:25 pm

I just try to reply to each one I don’t accept with a reason I didn’t accept. May be a simple response as I like my player better right now or I May leave it open that I would be willing to move him but it would take more and May send a counter if it looks like it could go somewhere.

I know guys that have to have a player from their favorite college ( which I too love college football, especially since they can still tackle without flags flying 🤣) or players from their favorite NFL team no matter how bad . I try to leave my heart and money in separate pockets when it comes to playing fantasy football.