Think about what you say in trade talks

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Think about what you say in trade talks

Postby Mephistopheles » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:13 am

I've been at this game a long time, seen a lot of really shitty things said in trade talks (I don't call them negotiations in most leagues because, frankly, about 90% of the people in some of my leagues - and there are lot on this forum as well - have zero understanding of what negotiation is).

In a devy league (where I'm rebuilding) a guy just offered me Conner and his 2019 (late) 1st for Jonathan Taylor which I rejected because (a) I'm a Badger fan who sees every one of JT's games, and (b) I think he really has a shot to be a very good NFL player.

Immediate message came back "Thought you might want some current production. Never know when a guy like Taylor blows out his knee."

I think this is just an awful thing to say to try to get a trade. Have met JT, he's a great guy, has worked his bleep off to get where he is.
And someone uses the prospect of him "blowing out his knee" to try to trade for him in a stupid fantasy football league? :wall: :wall:
Some people are just ridiculous.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Think about what you say in trade talks

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:22 am

I'll never understand why people diss the players they're attempting to trade for. If he's so bad and going to get injured, then why do you want him? It's such an annoying and ineffective tactic.

Titus Young's Lawyer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Titus Young's Lawyer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:30 am

They didn’t say that they wanted him to get hurt, only pointing out injury risk in football. I think this is really just a brag post about you meeting a blue chip college football player. Why don’t you tell him that you “own” him in a fantasy league and you’re trying to use his likeness to win money while he doesn’t get paid for his own on field production.
12 Team Dynasty IDP PPR (Yr.7)
QB-Stafford
RBChubb,MixonJ.White
WRK.Allen, Golladay, Lazard, M.WilliamsIsabella,
TE-Ebron,Gesicki,Irv Smith
DL-Short
DE-Dunlap,L.Williams
LB-Kwon,Mosley,Shaq
CB+S-Bell,Thomas

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:47 am

Both of the above are good points. While I think there may have been too much emotional attachment to this player which your opponent may or may not have known, his statement is also worthless. It's a devy league, so you could literally apply that statement as justification in any trade offer that the owner of the college player should bail because he *could* get hurt. That line of thought invalidates the purpose of the league format.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

hankmurphy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby hankmurphy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:50 am

Was offered a 2020 first in a trade and I replied that I might not be alive in 2020.

Did I jinx myself?

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:22 am

hankmurphy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:50 am Was offered a 2020 first in a trade and I replied that I might not be alive in 2020.

Did I jinx myself?
Lmao
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:34 am

Titus Young's Lawyer wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:30 am They didn’t say that they wanted him to get hurt, only pointing out injury risk in football. I think this is really just a brag post about you meeting a blue chip college football player. Why don’t you tell him that you “own” him in a fantasy league and you’re trying to use his likeness to win money while he doesn’t get paid for his own on field production.
Haha a fair point.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Postby TheRookiePro » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:10 am

I acquired Gurley back in April. At the time I had all of my picks plus some leftover from trading DeMarco and Ajayi (in total those two netted me 2 1st's and a 2nd). I decided to go all-in for Gurley. I traded 3 1st's and 3 2nd round picks.

Anyway...One owner in the league had entered trade-talks with me twice since then. Both times he went with a tactic of predicting my intention of “recouping after Gurley”. The first time I let it go. But he did again months later when discussing an Ebron deal and I told him to, "stop worrying about my picks." I was close to becoming Daniel Plainview and telling him not to tell me how to run my team! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdddIJd3bLc

P.S. In the past 24 hours I've made my first two trades since the offseason. I've acquired a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Njoku and Crowell. I now have a pick in every single future round and I'm no longer "recouping after Gurley".
Last edited by TheRookiePro on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 Team PPR, 25 man roster(1st and 2nd year player PS option for $20), QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX (RB,WR,TE), K, DEF.

QB-Luck, A. Smith, Fitzpatrick
RB-Gurley, M. Gordon, Jeff Wilson, Tevin Coleman,T. Montgomery, John Kelly, Justin Davis
WR-K. Allen, T. Hill, Josh Gordon, Golladay, Fitzgerald, S. Watkins, J. Reynolds, Enunwa,
TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski
Defense-Vikings, Jaguars, Ravens

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:14 am

TheRookiePro wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:10 am I acquired Gurley back in April. At the time I had all of my picks plus some leftover from trading DeMarco and Ajayi (in total those two netted me 2 1st's and a 2nd). I decided to go all-in for Gurley. I traded 3 1st's and 3 2nd round picks.

Anyway...One owner in the league had entered trade-talks with me twice since then. Both times he went with a tactic of predicting my intention of “recouping after Gurley”. The first time I let it go. But he did again months later when discussing an Ebron deal and I told him to, "stop worrying about my picks." I was close to becoming Daniel Plainview and telling him not to tell me how to raise my team! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdddIJd3bLc

P.S. In the past 24 hours I've made my first two trades since the offseason. I've acquired a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Njoku and Crowell. I now have a pick in every single future round and I'm no longer "recouping after Gurley".
So you're upset he was suggesting trying to reacquire picks after dealing several away? That's overly sensitive to a very fair point...
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Postby TheRookiePro » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:18 am

skip wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:14 am So you're upset he was suggesting trying to reacquire picks after dealing several away? That's overly sensitive to a very fair point...
No, it's horrible business strategy. Whenever you need to go outside of the options presented in the deal you're reaching. Just because he's offering me picks, it doesn't mean he has to tell me how advantageous the deal would be in order to lose debt from a previous deal.

It shows tremendous weakness and it irks me. And I'm glad it does because it's only made me more patient in the long run and I've owned my league as far as trading is concerned.
10 Team PPR, 25 man roster(1st and 2nd year player PS option for $20), QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX (RB,WR,TE), K, DEF.

RB-Gurley, M. Gordon, Jeff Wilson, Tevin Coleman,T. Montgomery, John Kelly, Justin Davis
WR-K. Allen, T. Hill, Josh Gordon, Golladay, Fitzgerald, S. Watkins, J. Reynolds, Enunwa,
TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski

Titus Young's Lawyer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Titus Young's Lawyer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:27 am

TheRookiePro wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:18 am
skip wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:14 am So you're upset he was suggesting trying to reacquire picks after dealing several away? That's overly sensitive to a very fair point...
No, it's horrible business strategy. Whenever you need to go outside of the options presented in the deal you're reaching. Just because he's offering me picks, it doesn't mean he has to tell me how advantageous the deal would be in order to lose debt from a previous deal.

It shows tremendous weakness and it irks me. And I'm glad it does because it's only made me more patient in the long run and I've owned my league as far as trading is concerned.
Is this guy doing a Dwight Schrute bit haha?

TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Postby TheRookiePro » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:28 am

Titus Young's Lawyer wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:27 am Is this guy doing a Dwight Schrute bit haha?
People who like The Office are special in every way.

TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:37 am

It's actually a fairly highly regarded sales/negotiating strategy.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Postby TheRookiePro » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:39 am

Vcize wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:37 am It's actually a fairly highly regarded sales/negotiating strategy.
No not in sales. If you want to be the cheesy car salesman who has to resort to self-humiliating tactics, good luck to you. If you can't sell the car might as well try selling bul$hit. I however, roll my eyes at the salesman who tell customers how much pu$$y they'going to get as soon as they drive off the lot in this brand new masculine Hummer.

You could be right about negotiating strategy. It could be of use when talking down a suicide jumper who is considering ending it all because he reads horrible advice from fantasy football forums and now his team is 0-5.

TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:44 am

Why get so upset with his strategy - if you can get a fair deal done..

He actually see that you don’t have, and could be interested in getting some.. that should at least get some credit