RB Values Currently Being Killed By Coaches

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dmac37
Role Player
Role Player

RB Values Currently Being Killed By Coaches

Postby dmac37 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:42 pm

This year seems to be worse than ever in regards to everyone seeing talented RB's sitting, while inferior RB's are getting more run from their coaching staff. We are all guilty of getting upset when our RB's get vultured at the goal line or don't get enough involvement in the pass game but this year seems crazy with so many teams giving so much playing time to RB's that everyone sees as being inferior in talent and production.

How do you see the values going for this group of RB's that the fantasy community seems to value more than their coaching staff. Which ones will the coaches finally roll with the talent and start seeing what we are all seeing?

Obvious Group:
K. Johnson- seems like the most obvious choice that needs to take over his own backfield
A. Jones - if Rodgers continues to endorse him and he improves slightly in pass blocking, he should separate
Collins- with Allen being a total JAG and also fumbling in the last game + Collins yards per run and catch being so far superior to Allen, I would think the coaches have to increase his work load if they want the offense to move
Drake- not a guy I pay much attention to

Rookie RB's looking for a chance:
Penny- may take the most patience and seems to be boom or bust
R. Jones- not really a believer but he looks to be getting a real chance starting now
Chubb- one of the few on this list that currently has a legitimate talent ahead off them. A sure bet to eventually hit as a 2 down back but will take patience
Guice(injury)- should hit the ground running in 2019 and a great trade target if current owner is in 2018 panic mode and needs to move him for immediate value
12 Team PPR Scoring:
QB: Purdy, Pickett, Howell, Rodgers
RB: Bijan, Kamara, A. Jones Spears Allgeier, Tucker, Hunt
WR: ARSB, Ridley, Nacua, E. Moore, Hollywood, Addison, Mingo, Mooney,
M. Thomas, Gallup
TE: Hockenson, Ferguson
PK:
DST: Ravens

12 Team Superflex PPR Scoring:
QB: Fields, Tua, Howell, White
RB: J. Taylor, A. Jones, Pierce, Swift , K. Miller, Hunt, Ford,
WR: Pittman, Deebo, Godwin, Ridley, Gabe Davis, E. Moore, Mooney, Toney, Q. Johnson
TE: Ferguson, Okonkwo L. Thomas

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: RB Values Currently Being Killed By Coaches

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:21 pm

KJ: The odds Blount gets re-signed this offseason are microscopic, considering his current level of performance. So KJ is fine. I suppose it's a drag he's suppressed for his rookie year, but fortunately he's exceptionally young for a rookie, so. He's got time. A backfield with just KJ and Riddick next year would probably result in KJ being a fantasy RB1.

Chubb: It seems a little strange that Cleveland just promoted Dontrell Hilliard from the practice-squad. There are a few teams suddenly RB needy right now. I wonder if Duke Johnson or Carlos Hyde are being shopped. Duke in particular seems to represent a disconnect between front-office and coaching-staff, and Duke doesn't appear to be happy right now based on game body-language.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:29 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:21 pm KJ: The odds Blount gets re-signed this offseason are microscopic, considering his current level of performance. So KJ is fine. I suppose it's a drag he's suppressed for his rookie year, but fortunately he's exceptionally young for a rookie, so. He's got time. A backfield with just KJ and Riddick next year would probably result in KJ being a fantasy RB1.

Chubb: It seems a little strange that Cleveland just promoted Dontrell Hilliard from the practice-squad. There are a few teams suddenly RB needy right now. I wonder if Duke Johnson or Carlos Hyde are being shopped. Duke in particular seems to represent a disconnect between front-office and coaching-staff, and Duke doesn't appear to be happy right now based on game body-language.
I don't think KJ is viewed as a lead back. I think he's viewed as a committee guy. He's not really built to be a 20 touch a game guy.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:36 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:29 pm I don't think KJ is viewed as a lead back. I think he's viewed as a committee guy. He's not really built to be a 20 touch a game guy.
Then why don't I hear people saying guys like Tevin Coleman and Melvin Gordon aren't built to be 20-touch guys?

KJ did it just fine in college, obviously. He's also only just turned 21. If he adds 5~ pounds of muscle from weight-training and further physical development -- plausible, even probable -- he's right at the standard height/weight of a feature-back.

Regardless, he has every skill necessary to be a feature-back, nevermind a mere leadback. He already has the best rush, pass, and protection grade of the Detroit backfield.

And I don't think teams trade up to take an RB with an early 2nd round pick if they view him as only committee-capable.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:47 pm

No mention of David Johnson?

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:54 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:47 pm No mention of David Johnson?
Yeah, that's a bizarre one. They pay him, and then don't want to use him. He'll be 27 in December, so what is there to wait for? I understand not wanting to give him 20+ carries every week given his injury history, but why is he even less involved in the pass-game? Arizona has probably the sport's premier RB pass-catcher, and they're giving him 3-4 targets on Sunday. smh
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:37 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:36 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:29 pm I don't think KJ is viewed as a lead back. I think he's viewed as a committee guy. He's not really built to be a 20 touch a game guy.
Then why don't I hear people saying guys like Tevin Coleman and Melvin Gordon aren't built to be 20-touch guys?

KJ did it just fine in college, obviously. He's also only just turned 21. If he adds 5~ pounds of muscle from weight-training and further physical development -- plausible, even probable -- he's right at the standard height/weight of a feature-back.

Regardless, he has every skill necessary to be a feature-back, nevermind a mere leadback. He already has the best rush, pass, and protection grade of the Detroit backfield.

And I don't think teams trade up to take an RB with an early 2nd round pick if they view him as only committee-capable.
They do it quite often in this day and age and the way the NFL plays offense now. Who didn't think Melvin was going to be a 20 touch guy? I'm sure they are quite happy with KJ's production, and would love a power back to compliment him. Gio had a really good rookie year and they then drafted Hill in the 2nd the next year. That worked for a while, too. There are only a handful of workhorse backs these days, and KJ probably isn't that. Doesn't mean he can't be good with is touches, but to say guys aren't drafted in the 2nd round unless they are looked at as workhorses is not accurate IMO. I don't think TB ever thought Ronald Jones was going to be a bell cow back. I just don't think KJ is being "held back", unless people are talking bout FF specifically, but when talking about coaches, it's about real football, not FF. It's a long season, and they are using him nicely, lets not forget the NFL season is a lot longer than college, and if they are hoping to be a playoff team, maybe they want him fresh for the playoffs, without hitting the rookie wall by using him too much early.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:04 am

2 words

Aaron Jones

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:40 am

Hunt, Duke, Henry, Prosise

Huh
Starter
Starter

Postby Huh » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:42 am

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:54 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:47 pm No mention of David Johnson?
Yeah, that's a bizarre one. They pay him, and then don't want to use him. He'll be 27 in December, so what is there to wait for? I understand not wanting to give him 20+ carries every week given his injury history, but why is he even less involved in the pass-game? Arizona has probably the sport's premier RB pass-catcher, and they're giving him 3-4 targets on Sunday. smh
Not that bizarre. Mike McCoy suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. I’ve never understood why bad coaches get to keep being coaches in the nfl.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:51 am

I don't think Aaron Jones is being killed at all. He's a clearly limited RB. He can run well, but he's poor in pass protection and not as good a receiver as Ty Montgomery on 3rd downs, or picking up blitzes like Jamaal Willliams.

Alex Collins is one, though I think Buck Allen is definitely a better 3rd down back so I understand the split.

Right now, I think David Johnson and Kenyan Drake are the big ones. They're either losing work to:

1. Players not as good as them (Frank Gore, Chase Edmunds)
2. Bad play calling (Mike McCoy, Adam Gase)
3. Not getting volume in trash offenses that struggle to move the ball.

Arizona is using Johnson like LeGarrette Blount. Running him exclusively as a north/south back up the middle and using him less as a WR. 49 of David Johnson's 74 carries (66%) this season have come right up the middle behind center. He's averaging 3.6 YPC on those runs (Sharp Football). There are 16 RB's running more routes per game than David Johnson this season, which is just insane.

There are 32 RB's running more routes than Kenyan Drake, which is also insane given that he's an above average receiver for an RB. That's on top of him being on pace for only 125 carries this year. Drake shouldn't be used as a workhorse, but in an offense depeleted of talent they should be finding a ton of ways to get him the ball quickly in space like the Patriots do with their RB's and the Panthers are with CMC.
Last edited by Cameron Giles on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:03 am

Maybe I’m just being stubborn, but I still think Conner is a JAG and Samuels would be performing even better if given the chance. At the very least, he should be seeing some COP looks ahead of Ridley.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:23 am

M-Dub wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:03 am Maybe I’m just being stubborn, but I still think Conner is a JAG and Samuels would be performing even better if given the chance. At the very least, he should be seeing some COP looks ahead of Ridley.
Yep...
I'm assuming his blocking must be really questionable, because we know he can catch quite well, and is a pretty good runner too. He's very versatile, and the Steelers are all about versatility at RB. Roethlisberger has been quite vocal about his love for Conner, though, which I think carries weight on who is playing. So, I'm guessing it's either a loyalty to a friend there or Ben doesn't want Samuels out there because he can't block well.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:28 am

I'm still stubbornly believing there's talent in Samaje Perine, but he's not even getting a sniff from his coaches. They really have never liked him, only playing him when forced to due to multiple injuries. His rookie year, his ypc wasn't good, but no one's was on that team and everyone knows the blocking was atrocious. I thought he looked pretty good with the opportunity he got. He hasn't even been active yet this year...and somehow I think even if Peterson tore his ACL, the Redskins would go get someone else's practice squad player like Tra Carson or something instead of activating Perine. I just don't get it.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:41 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:29 pm
ninotoreS wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:21 pm KJ: The odds Blount gets re-signed this offseason are microscopic, considering his current level of performance. So KJ is fine. I suppose it's a drag he's suppressed for his rookie year, but fortunately he's exceptionally young for a rookie, so. He's got time. A backfield with just KJ and Riddick next year would probably result in KJ being a fantasy RB1.

I don't think KJ is viewed as a lead back. I think he's viewed as a committee guy. He's not really built to be a 20 touch a game guy.
You really think a guy who Detroit drafted at 43 overall isn't seen as a lead back?

Oy vey........