Fournette - what to do with him

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Leonard Fournette, crash coming?

Postby ArrylT » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:57 pm

If true - it makes me feel more confident after declining a Fournette for Mixon straight up deal recently. Still sux but better safe than sorry. 8-)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:12 pm

As a Fournette owner, thank God lmao.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:00 pm

JFever wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:43 pm I see both sides here. His injury history includes several soft tissue problems and minor sprains. When he isn't able to play or finish games, yes, it affects his dynasty performance and value. However, at the same time, we have to remind ourselves that we aren't talking Achilles injurys or ACL, or even multiple serious concussions - and, just as important - that he is 23. Last year he missed 4 games I think, and accounted for about 1300 total yards and around 10 TDs. So... both sides have points.

Bottom line is, because of his injury history he isn't included in the top tier of dynasty rb's. Until he can overcome the soft tissue issues and minor injuries that he has been going through that cause him to miss time, he'll remain toward the bottom of that 2nd tier or so. I acquired him recently and he will be my 3rd or 4th rb, so for me, on that team, I can afford some patience. If you are depending on him right now as your rb1 on your squad, or have in the recent past while he was injured, I understand the frustration.
Curious what was the cost to acquire him?
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:03 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:12 pm
As a Fournette owner, thank God lmao.
Yep, this is the best you can hope for. Hamstring injuries are tricky. If you come back too early, you can easily reinjure it (as he did). You basically have to wait until you're absolutely 100% before returning.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:56 pm

Just remember, this thread began with an article making the case that the Jags are better without Fournette....haha.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:50 am

No team, imo, is better off without a star player, unless that player is not a team player. I've never heard anything to suggest Fournette was not a team guy but I could be mistaken ...

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:54 am

dm1129 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:56 pm Just remember, this thread began with an article making the case that the Jags are better without Fournette....haha.
Among other things. Meanwhile your bell-cow running back is out again.... But I'm sure the 40% of games he plays in make it all worthwhile

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:11 am

ArrylT wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:50 am No team, imo, is better off without a star player, unless that player is not a team player. I've never heard anything to suggest Fournette was not a team guy but I could be mistaken ...
TJ Yeldon 2018 stats:
67 Rushes, 299 yards, 4.5 YPC, 1 TD
37 Targets-25 Receptions, 3 TD

It looks to me like Fournette is barely an upgrade over TJ Yeldon (arguably he's not even an upgrade at all), even PFF has them graded nearly identically.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:20 am

0LDMAN wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:11 am
ArrylT wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:50 am No team, imo, is better off without a star player, unless that player is not a team player. I've never heard anything to suggest Fournette was not a team guy but I could be mistaken ...
TJ Yeldon 2018 stats:
67 Rushes, 299 yards, 4.5 YPC, 1 TD
37 Targets-25 Receptions, 3 TD

It looks to me like Fournette is barely an upgrade over TJ Yeldon (arguably he's not even an upgrade at all), even PFF has them graded nearly identically.
Tell that to the owners in my leagues where I have/had Yeldon available. 8-) I certainly would not object to moving Yeldon for Fournette-lite pricing. 8-) Alas most only want to pay Alfred Morris prices. :cry:

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:20 am

Be careful here. Yeldon has been good thus far in Fournette's time away dealing with the hammy. But, Taking too much meaning from a small sample size can be dangerous. Lets not start insinuating that Yeldon is > Fournette because of a lingering hamstring issue. Lots of impressionable / reactionary minds peruse this site.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:31 am

Remember all the stats about how the Jags are better with Fournette?? Stats don't tell the stories, he helps them ball control and when he's out there and healthy he doesn''t wear down.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:22 pm

JFever wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:20 am Be careful here. Yeldon has been good thus far in Fournette's time away dealing with the hammy. But, Taking too much meaning from a small sample size can be dangerous. Lets not start insinuating that Yeldon is > Fournette because of a lingering hamstring issue. Lots of impressionable / reactionary minds peruse this site.
Just the way I see things, I guess. I think for a large number of fantasy producers they are not necessarily heads and shoulders above their backups, and in some cases I think the biggest difference is simply a combination of draft capital/volume/opportunity. I remember watching Yeldon in college, and there was a reason he was drafted at 2.04 even though he shared his Bama backfield with Kenyan Drake and Derrick Henry. Yeldon is no slouch.

Very obviously, Fournette is more valuable in this dynasty context. In reality, considering his penchant for injury, is he really much better than Yeldon? I don't believe so personally. The number one ability is availability.
I've been low on LF since he came into the league and I stand by that opinion. I don't believe his ability rivals any of the "elite" backs in this league (DJ/Gurley/Barkley/MGIII/Zeke/Kamara/Hunt), and when I take that belief and add in the fact he has injury issues, I am left with the opinion that he is a player I do not want any shares of. Currently I think his market price is higher than his worth for a plethora of reasons. I have no doubt he will come back and have some great games, I simply believe what he could fetch based on his name is worth more to a dynasty owner than what he will contribute going forward.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:56 pm

Fair. Nothing wrong with having an opinion, even a strong opinion on a player. It isn't like you don't have evidence to back up your take.

I own LF in one league and just recently bought him for the cost of DT, J.Ajayi, and J.Brown. I don't feel heavily invested, LF is a depth guy for now and is 23 years old. I'll just caution you on a hard and fast and overly firm opinion. Remember the general consensus on M.Gordon on these forums not too long ago - was that he was a JAG and volume dependent. I watched him play and saw something different. The problems weren't always him... Anyway, the landscape changes quickly in the NFL and LF being only 23 is far from a miss. The soft tissue nagging type injuries are a concern and are the reason that he is firmly in that 2nd tier. But, one calendar year from now, he has the potential to be a 24 year old bell cow back that carries his team's offense.

Also, on Yeldon, yep, he was talented at Alabama. I actually expected him to do more as a pro. He is more than a JAG in my opinion. He is a good pass catcher and frankly, I'm not surprised that he has produced in Fournette's sted. Reading into and looking a bit closer into his numbers though - I'm not sure that he could or would be able to keep up that production.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:27 pm

I like Yeldon in real life and in fantasy, as his ppr chops give him a relatively safe floor. With that said, Fournette is a game changer, at least when healthy. Not to the upper tier of Gurley and the ones you mentioned, mostly, but his ceiling is sky high. Everything is relative to investment, team structure, etc., and the Bortles of yesterday's game leads to stacked boxes. When he is on the field, he gives you what you want in a fantasy back, volume, goal line, and catches enough passes to not be hurt by him being a bigger back. He has the ability to break the long play and have big weeks that are not just dependent on that. Any RB or player for that matter does us no good on the bench, but his price tag is probably worth the risk now.I think there are enough frustrated owners that you could throw a combo of a 1st and a so-so player to nab him.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry