Dynasty league dilemma

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cojo 2020
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Dynasty league dilemma

Postby Cojo 2020 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:10 pm

My league is in its 11th season, but I am worried for its future and need some advice.

We have ten owners: three original owners (including me), two that have been in for 3 years, one original who returned after a four year hiatus from fantasy football. And four new owners this year.

This past off season was the second time that we have had to replace five owners (it happened three years ago too). Both times, we held a “redistribution draft” for the new owners from the pool of players on vacated team rosters, prior to the rookie draft. The idea was to give them more say in their team makeup instead of inheriting a team (some of which were pretty bad due to owners bailing on them). They were shown the scoring rules, and were allowed to pick from the rookie picks that had belonged to vacated teams. The rookie draft was held a month after they drafted their initial rosters. They were given website access to view league rules, history, and existing team rosters. We have always been starting 2 QBs, but switched to superflex this year to give teams that lacked QB depth, more options.

The available player pool had some decent talent including Bell, Gurley, Goff, Brady, Watson, Rivers, K. Allen, Kelce, Winston, T. Hill, Thielen, Elliott, Fournette, Ertz, Hilton, Cooper, Ryan, Tate, M. Jones, Landry, Manning, D. Adams, Agholor and Engram, among others.

A few owners did not look too deeply into that information before drafting. Now that the season has started, three of the new owners (all buddies) are claiming they were misled, and are frustrated that some of the existing teams are stacked with talent (the 3 original owners who have worked up to this level over ten years). They are threatening to quit after the season, and one played four inactive players this week “in protest” of the disparity.

I’m not sure what to do. I tried to ease their entry into the league by giving them agency in building their team. Was very transparent about the rules, existing rosters, etc. But they still feel it is unfair. I hate to have to replace owners in chunks like we have done recently, but can’t seem to keep people in because of perceived barriers to success for new owners. How can I honor what existing owners have built, but still make it fun and competitive for new owners?

Thanks!
ROCHESTER ROADKILL: 10 team league: Starts 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR,, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DST 1 flex RB/WR, 1 superflex QB/RB/WR/TE.

Superflex, PPR, Pass TD = 6 pts.

QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Lance, B.Young, A.Richardson, M.Cunningham
RB: Chubb, A.Jones, Bijan, Gibbs, J.Williams (DEN), Dobbins, Dillon, Z.White, T. Spears, R.Johnson, Z.Evans
WR: Lamb, Higgins, M.Brown (ARI), Ridley, Pittman, E.Moore, J.Williams (DET), Dotson, Doubs, Q.Johnston, Smith-Njigba
TE: Schultz, Kincaid
PK: Koo
DST: Chiefs. Lions
2024 picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 2.06, 3.02, 3.08, 3.10
League Champion: 2017, 2018, 2020, 2022

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Dynasty league dilemma

Postby slaughterrt » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:45 am

It’s on them if they didn’t do their homework.

The one should get one warning for starting inactive players, and then he should get booted if he does it again.

If you believe they are serious about leaving, then maybe place restrictions on their trading as well (if it’s pay league then that gets a little sketchy with paying next years dues)

Sucks if it’s a pay league. Sounds like you have a couple of lazy boners in your league that want to bitch and moan because they didn’t do their homework and prob set themselves back another couple of years.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:58 am

sounds like it is time to put that old dog to sleep !
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:05 am

It sucks when you put a lot of work into a team and then the rest of the league protests because you’ve built your roster to last. I just had a trade vetoed in my main league even though it was completely within the rules and the trade values were fair because... it would have made my team too stacked (still waiting for a reason)?

Your only options are wither to let the league die or to try to get new owners next year. If it is a pay league would be very tricky to try to put restrictions on trading for those other teams... good luck!
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:08 am

slaughterrt wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:45 am It’s on them if they didn’t do their homework.

The one should get one warning for starting inactive players, and then he should get booted if he does it again.

If you believe they are serious about leaving, then maybe place restrictions on their trading as well (if it’s pay league then that gets a little sketchy with paying next years dues)

Sucks if it’s a pay league. Sounds like you have a couple of lazy boners in your league that want to bitch and moan because they didn’t do their homework and prob set themselves back another couple of years.
This exactly. Worst case blow it up after this year, take good owners and find a new league to join. Constantly churning new owners rarely fixes the problem in my experience.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Cojo 2020
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cojo 2020 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:46 pm

Man, it would suck to reboot the league, since I've worked hard to build my team.

I was hoping for a silver bullet on how to keep new owners in...lol...guess there isn't one.
ROCHESTER ROADKILL: 10 team league: Starts 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR,, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DST 1 flex RB/WR, 1 superflex QB/RB/WR/TE.

Superflex, PPR, Pass TD = 6 pts.

QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Lance, B.Young, A.Richardson, M.Cunningham
RB: Chubb, A.Jones, Bijan, Gibbs, J.Williams (DEN), Dobbins, Dillon, Z.White, T. Spears, R.Johnson, Z.Evans
WR: Lamb, Higgins, M.Brown (ARI), Ridley, Pittman, E.Moore, J.Williams (DET), Dotson, Doubs, Q.Johnston, Smith-Njigba
TE: Schultz, Kincaid
PK: Koo
DST: Chiefs. Lions
2024 picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 2.06, 3.02, 3.08, 3.10
League Champion: 2017, 2018, 2020, 2022

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:56 pm

F*ck 'em.

Let them go and run the teams as the commish if you have to, no transactions just start the best lineup each week. It's a pain in the butt and not an ideal scenario, but you can't let them hi-jack the league. I guarantee you can find some good owners here on this site to replace them next year and do another dispersal, you could very well find a few willing to take them over as is right away, never know until you ask...

Dr.Graffin
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dr.Graffin » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:07 pm

Whatever owner started 4 inactive players Week 2 should be kicked out the league at the earliest convenience. It's a complete sabotage job. A new owner doing that "in protest", as if they have any real say in how things should be run after 11 years and just hoping on board. Unless the league is free, there's really no justification for this type of behavior as it ruins the league for the rest of the owners. Also, Week 2 is not the time to be complaining about league rules and settings...lol :lol:

Personally, I'd boot whoever you need to at the end of the season, keep the rest of the league as is, but plan on doing a better job of screening new owners in the future and avoid allowing friends to recruit friends to the league. This doesn't work out well in my experience.
12 Team Non-PPR, 6pt TDs-22' R/U, 23' R/U
1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 2Flex (W/R/T), 1K, 1DST
QB: P. Mahomes, R. Tannehill
RB: D. Achane, D. Henry, J. Mixon, A. Ekeler, M. Sanders
WR: T. Hill, D. Smith, D. J. Moore, D. Samuel, T. Higgins, D. Hopkins, O. Beckham, D. Wicks, J. Metchie
TE: T. Kelce, C. Kmet, H. Henry, M. Gesicki
K: J. Tucker
D/ST: Baltimore, Jacksonville
2024 Picks: 4.9

12 Team .5 PPR, 6pt TDs
1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 3Flex (W/R/T), 1K, 1DST
QB: J. Love, J. Herbert
RB: S. Barkley, J. Cook, I. Pacheco, Br. Robinson, D. Singletary, D. Pierce
WR: D. J. Moore, J. Waddle, Z. Flowers, T. Higgins, C. Watson, J. Downs, J. Dotson, R. Shaheed
TE: T. McBride, H. Henry, M. Gesicki, C. Okonkwo, J. Woods
K: T. Bass
D/ST: Jacksonville, Indianapolis
2024 Picks: 2.7, 3.2, 4.11

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:55 pm

Is your league the 10 team league that is in your signature?

Either way a league can survive as long as there is always a core # of owners that want it to, and a Commissioner that can drive that goal. So you replaced owners once, you can do so again. There are always ways to give incentives to get new owners, including giving extra compensatory picks, that do not 'punish' strong teams.

You could even institute an empire pot if need be - that would (a) guarantee that your league would start fresh and (b) give the owners that spent the long haul building their dynasties a shot at one last big pot.

Long term it does not matter how good a team is there is always an up and down - so a team that is elite now can become average in a couple of year - so long as the other owners work hard at building their teams. If the other owners do not - or do not have the patience it takes then in the end you have to decide what is more worthwhile - regular turnover or starting fresh.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..