Josh Gordon Thread: Reinstatement (Deja Vu)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Josh Gordon to be released

Postby steelman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:13 pm

jetsfan5757 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:15 pm
I didn't mean to come accross as arrogant as I must have to get that response from you (a bit arrogant as well there buddy).

I believe he doesn't have the highest football IQ, and I believe that the NE system isn't the easiest to learn. But I have a hard time believing he's so dumb he stands around like an idiot very often because he doesn't know what to do. Could there have been a time, maybe.

Even if he only serves as a deep threat, there could be good value for the team and he could be potentially useful in fantasy.
I interpreted your post as being confrontational. Perhaps I read it wrong.

They didn't go into a lot of detail, but they were trying to explain that the Pats system is hard to learn and from their personal experience, Gordon can struggle with playbooks, route running, etc. At no point did they say he stands around "very often." They didn't talk about how often it happens, but they did mention the coaches being fed up with him because he wasn't grasping the playbook.

Do I think he can learn the NE playbook? Yes, but I do think he'll be slower at it than most and will make plenty of mistakes in the meantime. Belichek doesn't tolerate mistakes. I do agree with what you said, there could be value by getting him involved any way they can. By all accounts he's a headache though and Belichek won't tolerate it. Either he finally smartens up or Belichek will cut him. My money is on him getting cut. We'll see.

If I was an owner, I'm selling right now

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:34 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:10 pm Well wow, gotta say this is about the best spot for Gordon’s owners to capitalize on. Time to sell sell sell. I do agree that if anyone could keep him in check, it would be B.B. However, I think the boat on JG ever ascending to that top 5 dynasty WR has long sailed.

I do think that if the Pats would have been the team to draft him in the supplemental draft those year ago, that JG might have gotten the discipline he needed from the get go. We will never know tho.

Hopefully he can grasp the playbook (although I’m not holding out hope), but I think he will just try to get by on his athleticism. I can see B.B. and Brady yelling at him soon to do his job.
lol your opinions are well documented. I'll take this post as an apology to Mr. Gordon even as backhanded as it is.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:38 pm

guys, Cordarelle Patterson learned the Patriots playbook, please drop this narrative. Even then, Gordon has learned a new offense pretty much every year he's been in the league. You'd excuse away any perceived confusion for any other player in that situation. I'm sorry you drafted him in the first round in 2014 but you need to get over your bias.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:06 am

slaughterrt wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:10 pm Well wow, gotta say this is about the best spot for Gordon’s owners to capitalize on. Time to sell sell sell. I do agree that if anyone could keep him in check, it would be B.B. However, I think the boat on JG ever ascending to that top 5 dynasty WR has long sailed.

I do think that if the Pats would have been the team to draft him in the supplemental draft those year ago, that JG might have gotten the discipline he needed from the get go. We will never know tho.

Hopefully he can grasp the playbook (although I’m not holding out hope), but I think he will just try to get by on his athleticism. I can see B.B. and Brady yelling at him soon to do his job.
Yes, the Patriots and BB are the absolute best at player discipline and turning players into respectful citizens and role models. See Aaron Hernandez

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:21 am

Krypto_King wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:34 pm

lol your opinions are well documented. I'll take this post as an apology to Mr. Gordon even as backhanded as it is.
Eh. You can keep the apology. I’m not going to apologize for the way someone’s life/career turned out because of their own poor choices. And I’m not going to apologize because I didn’t (and still don’t) trust an addict to stay clean. Just because I hope he does well doesn’t mean he gets a free pass on everything he has done.

I hope he does well, but hope in one hand and bleep in the other and see which one gets fill first. He has gotten more chances than he probably deserves. Maybe he takes advantage of this one.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:23 am

remedy29 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:06 am

Yes, the Patriots and BB are the absolute best at player discipline and turning players into respectful citizens and role models. See Aaron Hernandez
Haha that is true. Well played. Although I’m not sure any other coach would have been able to fix that sociopath.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:40 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:21 am
Krypto_King wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:34 pm

Eh. You can keep the apology. I’m not going to apologize for the way someone’s life/career turned out because of their own poor choices. And I’m not going to apologize because I didn’t (and still don’t) trust an addict to stay clean. Just because I hope he does well doesn’t mean he gets a free pass on everything he has done.

I hope he does well, but hope in one hand and bleep in the other and see which one gets fill first. He has gotten more chances than he probably deserves. Maybe he takes advantage of this one.
He has gotten the same # of chances the NFL gives everyone. No more no less. So his pass is as "free" as anyone that has been subjected to NFL discipline.

...and just to clarify. As an addict he will be challenged to stay clean for the rest of his life...however, all fantasy owners really care about is he does it while playing football. If you see his path and outcome as a sincere attempt to get and stay clean I think it demonstrates he has changed his ways...if you don't, well, that's your call. Pessimistic perhaps to some extent but the odds are decidedly against him remaining clean forever...the next 5-6 years is anyone's guess
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Could someone explain to me this narrative that Josh is a dumb person and doesn't know how to learn a play book? Where is this coming from? None of his mess ups have anything to do with his intelligence. He's an addict plain and simple. Addicts don't have to be dumb.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:48 pm

Titans95 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:40 pm Could someone explain to me this narrative that Josh is a dumb person and doesn't know how to learn a play book? Where is this coming from? None of his mess ups have anything to do with his intelligence. He's an addict plain and simple. Addicts don't have to be dumb.
It is interesting because I feel like I haven't heard it until very recently. No idea how good he actually is at learning a playbook, but he better be if he wants to succeed in NE.

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:52 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:48 pm
Titans95 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:40 pm Could someone explain to me this narrative that Josh is a dumb person and doesn't know how to learn a play book? Where is this coming from? None of his mess ups have anything to do with his intelligence. He's an addict plain and simple. Addicts don't have to be dumb.
It is interesting because I feel like I haven't heard it until very recently. No idea how good he actually is at learning a playbook, but he better be if he wants to succeed in NE.
I agree. It's a complicated playbook and they may ease him into a role throughout the year. I'm just annoyed people are assuming he's an idiot because of all his mess ups.

Alex116
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Alex116 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:20 pm

How is it he's so dumb and struggles with the mental side, yet he managed to lead the league in receiving one year.....drunk? Or was it high? Lol

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:09 am

Well enough of all that if you were selling what would you expect and to gamble what would you e willing to give now? whats fair?
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:24 am

I'm not an advocate of owning Gordon in dynasty, but Josh actually seems like a relatively bright guy based on interviews I've read and seen FWIW.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

Fezzik
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Fezzik » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:29 am

Tvols wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:09 am Well enough of all that if you were selling what would you expect and to gamble what would you e willing to give now? whats fair?
I'm negotiating for a 2019 first (middle-ish) and Aaron Jones. I'd be very happy with that return.

I have to think a 2019 first of almost any kind is a good cash out. Unless you're a contender with serious WR depth issues, I'd sell.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:47 am

Sell for any first. He could be worth more, but he's more likely to be worth a lot less. Capitalize while you still can.