Draft pick trade bets

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
fakespike13
Role Player
Role Player

Draft pick trade bets

Postby fakespike13 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:27 am

Probably been discussed somewhere but is this kosher?

Very simply, either as a friendly-ish side wager or trash talk intimidation kinda thing, offer up a swap of 1st round draft picks with a team who thinks they’re better than you. Typically I guess this would make sense only in a situation where two teams were both equally matched to the point each owner feels confident enough to take that gamble. Anyone done this?
Auesome Ekcellent
2013, 2017, 2018 Champ
16 team PPR, 20 man rosters + 10 player taxi, QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 RB/WR, TE, D, K

QB: Wilson, Mayfield, Lance, Hill
RB: Kamara, Cook, Ekeler, CEH, Akers, Mattison, Ty Johnson, Funk, Nwangwu
WR: Tyreek, McLaurin, Diontae Johnson, Aiyuk, Golladay, Chark, Edwards, Shenault, Palmer, Dyami
TE: Kittle, Thomas

2022: 1,2,3,4,5

Irrational Integers
12 team SF
QB: Prescott, Watson, Minshew, D Jones, Newton
RB: Swift, J Williams, Akers, Cordarrelle, Mitchell
WR: Waddle, E Moore, Claypool, Patterson, R Moore, Bourne, Callaway, Treadwell
TE: Goedert, Shultz, Tonyan, Moreau, Parham

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Draft pick trade bets

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:21 am

fakespike13 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:27 am Probably been discussed somewhere but is this kosher?

Very simply, either as a friendly-ish side wager or trash talk intimidation kinda thing, offer up a swap of 1st round draft picks with a team who thinks they’re better than you. Typically I guess this would make sense only in a situation where two teams were both equally matched to the point each owner feels confident enough to take that gamble. Anyone done this?
I've seen it done before. It's not collusion or anything.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:25 am

I have seen it too.
Does not happen in my leagues but I see no issue.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:32 am

It has been discussed on here previously. It's not anything I'd be interested in doing. I don't see the point.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Titus Young's Lawyer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Titus Young's Lawyer » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:42 am

I think this type of bet would be inappropriate for a dynasty league. If there is a bet for a draft pick swap awarded to the team with the best record then the better team also gets the higher draft pick. I think an asset of perceived equal balance should be included in any type of trade or player move. Owners not privy to the bet wouldn’t have a way to improve their pick like the one owner did. If you really want to have a bet like that then just award the highest draft pick to the top team so the whole league can participate.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:11 am

I did this in my league this offseason. It prompted both me and the other guy to get in an arms race with "win now" moves and we both ended up trading the 1sts away lmao.

Titus Young's Lawyer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Titus Young's Lawyer » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:21 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:11 am I did this in my league this offseason. It prompted both me and the other guy to get in an arms race with "win now" moves and we both ended up trading the 1sts away lmao.
So how does that work with the bet now that you traded the picks away?

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:39 am

I did this also, dumb decision that I regret since realistically my team wont compete this season. But my pride would not let me say no. It does make me want to make win now moves sometimes in order to win the trade (Like trade for Larry Fitzgerald even though that makes no sense for my team, so I didn't do it) but then I realize where my team is and my plan for the future so I don't. But basically to answer your question I guess it really depends on who is in the league. If its a bunch of friends then go ahead and do whatever you want, but if its someone you don't really know then its probably better off not doing it.

fakespike13
Role Player
Role Player

Postby fakespike13 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Awesome feedback as expected. It’s a home league of sorts, the guys are friends of friends kinda thing. The team I’d send this to is a playoff team no doubt and I’m defending champ and think my team is stacked enough to repeat. He won b2b 2015-16, very very strong team. I don’t think it would end up being a difference if more than a couple picks.
Auesome Ekcellent
2013, 2017, 2018 Champ

WR: Tyreek, McLaurin, Diontae Johnson, Aiyuk, Golladay, Chark, Edwards, Shenault, Palmer, Dyami

Irrational Integers
12 team SF

fakespike13
Role Player
Role Player

Postby fakespike13 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Weknownothing86 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:39 am I did this also, dumb decision that I regret since realistically my team wont compete this season. But my pride would not let me say no. It does make me want to make win now moves sometimes in order to win the trade (Like trade for Larry Fitzgerald even though that makes no sense for my team, so I didn't do it) but then I realize where my team is and my plan for the future so I don't. But basically to answer your question I guess it really depends on who is in the league. If its a bunch of friends then go ahead and do whatever you want, but if its someone you don't really know then its probably better off not doing it.
Did you send or receive the offer?
Auesome Ekcellent
2013, 2017, 2018 Champ

Irrational Integers
12 team SF

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:43 pm

Titus Young's Lawyer wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:21 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:11 am I did this in my league this offseason. It prompted both me and the other guy to get in an arms race with "win now" moves and we both ended up trading the 1sts away lmao.
By the sound of it if DD wins whoever he traded that pick to will get the higher pick, seems like his trading partner is also betting on DD to win, very interesting turn.

DD has this turned into a "care more about winning, rather then the prize" type scenario?

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:58 pm

AussieMate wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:43 pm
Titus Young's Lawyer wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:21 am
By the sound of it if DD wins whoever he traded that pick to will get the higher pick, seems like his trading partner is also betting on DD to win, very interesting turn.

DD has this turned into a "care more about winning, rather then the prize" type scenario?
Me and the other guy were both near the bottom of the standings last season. This offseason we swapped 1sts just on a whim really. So since we both didn’t have our 1st anymore we just made all these “win now” moves. We sold off the swapped 1sts to other teams in the process.

Overall it was a cool experiment. I made a few moves I probably normally wouldn’t have done, but it also forced me to jumpstart my rebuild.

ZPalmtree
Captain
Captain

Postby ZPalmtree » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:47 pm

Have 2 guys that are in a 32 team league, that bet on their 1st matchup against each other The winner gets the others’ 4th rounder in exchange for 1 blind bidding dollar With 32 teams and it being a 4th, that doesn’t do much harm imo

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:04 am

ZPalmtree wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:47 pm Have 2 guys that are in a 32 team league, that bet on their 1st matchup against each other The winner gets the others’ 4th rounder in exchange for 1 blind bidding dollar With 32 teams and it being a 4th, that doesn’t do much harm imo
Honestly, this would bother me more than just swapping 1sts. If both owners genuinely believe they’re going to be better than the other guy, swapping 1sts is completely justifiable and actually makes sense. This is straight-up wagering dynasty assets, which is a no-no in most well run leagues. I get that it’s just a 4th round pick and doesn’t really compromise the integrity of the league in the grand scheme of things, but it doesn’t set the best of precedents. I’m all for owners making side bets. There’s actually one dude in our league who has taken on the role of “bookie” and keeps track of all the crazy, beer-fueled side bets we make throughout the season. Then we all settle up at the rookie draft. But there’s specific language in our constitution that prohibits wagering of dynasty assets. It’s just a slippery slope that I’d rather not start down...
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0