James Conner

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Conner dynasty value

Postby jenkins.math » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:33 am

If Conner is the lead back next season for Pitt, he is a RB1. I think whoever is the lead back in that system is a RB1 honestly. I also don't think they sign a big free agent RB as that isn't the Steeler way. I would move him if I got a nice package, otherwise I'm in the hold category on Conner. I'm honestly shocked to see so many low opinions on him and his future.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:08 am

Got offered a 2020 1st for him last night. I'd rather hold and wait. I think he has legit shot to be Pittsburgh's lead back next year. The low opinions on him are confusing to me as well. If Big Ben is speaking up for Conner and suggesting that even when L.Bell gets back that Conner should still have a role, well, that speaks volumes.

Conner isn't a liability in the run game. I'm not saying he is an elite talent in the NFL. I am however saying that he is more than a JAG. He simply doesn't have to be an elite talent to put up rb1 fantasy numbers, and if the Steeler's organization likes him, his future HOF qb likes him, he will be given a longer leash. He can catch the ball very well. He has prototypical size. He is a good pass blocker. He is clean off the field, And, he knows the system well and has learned by working with L.Bell for past two years. That to me is worth more than a future 1st that is two years out.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:31 am

My main concerns with Conner:
- Looks like just a guy
- Samuels is arguably a better receiver and runner, but Conner has currently earned the trust of Ben, probably can pass block better
- Zero chance they do not add an RB through either FA or Draft, they cannot be happy going in with Conner & Samuels

I believe that Conner is the top candidate to get "Tre Mason'd" next year.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:52 am

Phaded wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:31 am My main concerns with Conner:
- Looks like just a guy
- Samuels is arguably a better receiver and runner, but Conner has currently earned the trust of Ben, probably can pass block better
- Zero chance they do not add an RB through either FA or Draft, they cannot be happy going in with Conner & Samuels

Samuels looked pretty meh all preseason, and that was going against the 3rd strings and worse.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:49 am

Phaded wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:31 am My main concerns with Conner:
- Looks like just a guy

I don't get why people are high on Samuels. He didn't even play RB full time in college, so why would he all of a sudden ball out in the league?

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:00 am

I recall watching tape on Samuels late this past spring and into the summer and I knew back then that I had little interest in him. I don't think there is much that Samuels can do that Conner couldn't do better at the NFL level. But, that is just my untrained eye and I could be wrong.

IN this case, I think the trust and backing of his qb is quite significant. That, coupled with the way L.Bell has handled himself and this situation. I'm not sure how the locker room will handle the return of Bell. Heck, he may not be received well by the guys that block for him.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:05 am

JFever wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:08 am Got offered a 2020 1st for him last night. I'd rather hold and wait. I think he has legit shot to be Pittsburgh's lead back next year. The low opinions on him are confusing to me as well. If Big Ben is speaking up for Conner and suggesting that even when L.Bell gets back that Conner should still have a role, well, that speaks volumes.

Conner isn't a liability in the run game. I'm not saying he is an elite talent in the NFL. I am however saying that he is more than a JAG. He simply doesn't have to be an elite talent to put up rb1 fantasy numbers, and if the Steeler's organization likes him, his future HOF qb likes him, he will be given a longer leash. He can catch the ball very well. He has prototypical size. He is a good pass blocker. He is clean off the field, And, he knows the system well and has learned by working with L.Bell for past two years. That to me is worth more than a future 1st that is two years out.
You don't have to be a high-level talent to put up RB1 numbers, but you absolutely have to be to sustain that production and role each year. I probably would've taken the 1st though. I continue to see a player who's really only as good as the situation or matchup is. He killed the Falcons last Sunday, but the Falcons have been getting killed by RB's all year.

We've all been burned by these types of situations more than we've benefit from them. So, I just go by history.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:10 am

Yeah I'd take any 1st for Conner. He is a fun guy to cheer for with his history, but ultimately he's just not a dynamic talent and I don't trust him to hold that role long term.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:03 pm

JFever wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:08 am Got offered a 2020 1st for him last night. I'd rather hold and wait. I think he has legit shot to be Pittsburgh's lead back next year. The low opinions on him are confusing to me as well. If Big Ben is speaking up for Conner and suggesting that even when L.Bell gets back that Conner should still have a role, well, that speaks volumes.

I actually paid exactly that last week - a 2020 first (presumably late, as it's from last year's champ that is still youngish). I figure IF Bell gets traded then it's a huge win, and IF Bell leaves there's still a chance it's a big win next year. IF neither of those things happen I'll have overpaid for a handcuff in one of the top RB systems in the league. Oh well.
Investing in Conner is definitely high risk at this point, but the possible reward is just so high, and high picks down the road are always a gamble as well..

KCLep20
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby KCLep20 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:06 pm

jtd1387 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:10 am Yeah I'd take any 1st for Conner. He is a fun guy to cheer for with his history, but ultimately he's just not a dynamic talent and I don't trust him to hold that role long term.
Since when do you have to be a dynamic talent to be an RB1?!? Jordan Howard isn't a dynamic talent, neither is Jay Ajayi or Kareem Hunt etc. etc. Conner is built like an RB1, plays for an above average team/offense that has an above average QB and top talent out wide that defenses have to respect. He also is an average to above average pass catcher. He's no LBell, I get that. But LBell is a top ~5 RB in the league, but that doesn't mean if Bell leaves Conner can't be top 12.

He's young, plays for a good team, and has prototypical size. There is no reason to think he cant be an RB1 next year without Bell, he's literally already doing it this year.
1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex (RB/WR/TE)/1 Superflex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
'Ships: 2008, 2017, 2019, 2021; 2nd place: 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022
12 team PPR with 14 Keepers/year
2023 Draft Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11, 3.04, 3.07, 5.04
QB: L.Jackson, J. Burrow, G. Minshew, J. Winston
RB: J.Mixon, ETN, Jav.Williams, J.Conner, Z.Moss, JK Dobbins (IR), N.Chubb (IR)
WR: AJB, CD Lamb, DK, C.Sutton
TE: M.Andrews, T.McBride, I. Likely

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:12 pm

KCLep20 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:06 pm
jtd1387 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:10 am Yeah I'd take any 1st for Conner. He is a fun guy to cheer for with his history, but ultimately he's just not a dynamic talent and I don't trust him to hold that role long term.
Since when do you have to be a dynamic talent to be an RB1?!? Jordan Howard isn't a dynamic talent, neither is Jay Ajayi or Kareem Hunt etc. etc. Conner is built like an RB1, plays for an above average team/offense that has an above average QB and top talent out wide that defenses have to respect. He also is an average to above average pass catcher. He's no LBell, I get that. But LBell is a top ~5 RB in the league, but that doesn't mean if Bell leaves Conner can't be top 12.

He's young, plays for a good team, and has prototypical size. There is no reason to think he cant be an RB1 next year without Bell, he's literally already doing it this year.
You usually have to be dynamic to keep an RB1 role. Obviously there are exceptions, but paying a 1st for almost solely situation is a losing bet more often than it's a winning bet.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:20 am

...Howard & Ajayi are not RB1s though...

And I disagree that Hunt is not dynamic.

He also said nothing about him not being an RB1. He said he does not expect him to a hold a feature role long term which is a fair assessment.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:16 am

Subtle Reminder about 50% of first round picks flop and are little to no help for fantasy rosters AT ALL. Given what we have seen, What are the odds that James Conner is a flop? He is 23 btw. Best bet here, imo, is to hold. This situation in Pittsburgh is far from settled.

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:26 am

I was offered Ingram for Conner in my 4 player keeper league...since we can only keep 2 RBs and I have Gurley and Gordon I think Ingram gives me the best chance to win now. Thoughts?
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:28 am

If you look at the "average first rounder" than sure - but some owners are better drafters than others and hit more than 50% of the time. There is one owner in my league that always "reaches" as per consensus but somehow always hits.

That said - Conner can see his value tank pretty quickly especially because the production is more situation than talent. There are first rounders that retain high value for years. Or you can flip the pick come draft time as well. It is about the best assets in my opinion.