Patrick Mahomes: The Best QB in the NFL & for Dynasty

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Patrick Mahomes II

Postby jcc6fd » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:45 am

Phaded wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:20 am Are the Chargers though?
They were last year (and I think we all fall victim to evaluating teams based on last year) - but without Bosa, they just do not look the same.
I mean - the Chargers allowed the Bills to put up 20.

Honestly - Mahomes is good, but I also believe that if you surround most QBs in the NFL with those weapons they would do very well.
The pass rush definitely took a hit, but the secondary is still one of the best in the league. And we saw that Hill, Kelce and Hunt could elevate Smith last year so I agree with you somewhat there. But very few QBs have the physical tools Mahomes does and are able to put it together on the field. What QBs in the league would you trust to be as efficient and effective of passers as Mahomes has been if placed in the KC offense? In the AFC I only see Luck and Big Ben (with Luck being a questionmark due to health). In the NFC you have Rodgers and then guys like Brees, Cousins, Wilson, and Wentz and Stafford are all debatable.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:52 am

The pass rush directly impacts the secondary though. If you have no pass rush, all it takes is a bit of time for a good player to get open - no matter how good your secondary is.

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:02 am

There are not many good defenses in the NFL, period. Sure I doubt he throws up 400/4 on the Jags, does anyone? Ever? They are an absolute exception to the rule. And KC plays JAX... 1 time. It's 1 game. They also play the Rams - sure, let's assume he doesn't torch them either. ROS, there's not another D that can hope to contain him. The Ravens? Yeah sure, if Mahomes suddenly turns into Nathan Peterman. If Dalton can make them look stupid, I'm gonna say Pat can. The Broncos, who Derek freaking Carr just damn near set a completion record against? Ooh, scary.

The way the NFL has become is another reason to be high on him. Defenders get punished for tight coverage and he's one of very few who can put it in the tighest windows. He throws down the field, and accurately at that. He's not one of these compilers racking up yardage through smoke and mirrors short stuff.

Hey, if all else fails, he can just be Cam Newton and dump it off to his RB 14 times/game. I mean what the heck...

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:38 am

Phaded wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:52 am The pass rush directly impacts the secondary though. If you have no pass rush, all it takes is a bit of time for a good player to get open - no matter how good your secondary is.
Agreed on this. He will certainly have slower days due to better overall defensive play, but my point is that he has already played against an elite secondary and succeeded. If he's only played against two terrible defenses your point may be valid but I'm not looking around the NFL and not seeing a slew of defenses that worry me. I'm just not worried about him busting to a point that he wouldn't end up returning a top 10 dynasty QB price even this early based on his performance. Top 5 is probably definitely up in the air, but you'll likely have to pay that now if you want him.
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley

JTLoh
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JTLoh » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:42 am

First, can I at least get that opposite label removed now? (You know, where everyone wants to do the opposite of what I said)

Second, now isn't the time to BUY Mahomes. Dudes, you missed on that. If you didn't draft/buy when I posted this, its way too late. Owner is definitely going to want an over pay. But also, I wouldn't SELL him either. If he is your back up and you got Brady, Bress, Rodgers, or something. Sell them. You'll be fine.

Third, yeah, I can't see him holding up this pace. But regress? I guess it depends on your definition. I can see some games in the future where people are going to say, We aren't going to let Mahomes beat us. And Hunt rushes for 200 and a couple scores. Meanwhile, Mahomes is like 10 for 15 for 186 with no TDs. I guess that's regression. But everyone also has bad games so I can see a bad game or two ahead without the good rushing stats. The JAGS will be the test. They have the best D in the NFL right now.
CONTENTION 2
QB - D.Prescott, J.Hurts
RB - J.Jacobs, C-Patt, JRob, BRob, D.Pierce, TDP, H.Haskins
WR - Ceedee, J.Jefferson, JuJu, A.Pierce, Meyers, NWI
TE - M.Andrews, Brevin, J.Woods, L.Thomas
Defense: Cowboys/Viks

CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH
QB - Mahomes, Cousins, Love, Mond, Rush, M.White, Strong
RB - C-Patt, Singletary, K.Herbert, Foreman, Hubbard, Lindsay
WR - Lockett, Hollywood, OBJ, Golladay, AJG, Hardman, Meyers, Osborn, ISM
TE - Kelsey, Ertz, G.Everett, Bryant
Taxi - BRob, TDP, Ingram, A.Smith, K.Phillips, Metchie, Shakir, Tolbert, Thorton, J.Woods, S.Thompson

ALL THE MARBLES
QB - TB12, J.Hurts, Stafford
RB - Ekeler, Zeke, C-Patt, Mack, Rhamondre, BRob, R.White, Foreman
WR - AJ Brown, London, Watson, A.Pierce, Burks, OBJ, Golladay, Amon-Ra, Marshall
TE - Gronk, T.Higbee, D.Arnold, Ebron
Defense: Bills/Saints

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:59 am

You've had some good calls recently, JTLoh.

Sometimes you just have to be more humble about it - you do not always hit, but then again.. no one does.

JTLoh
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JTLoh » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:44 am

Thanks Phaded.
I just try to spice things up a bit. This place needs a little spice once in awhile. Its good to have a villain.
CONTENTION 2
QB - D.Prescott, J.Hurts
RB - J.Jacobs, C-Patt, JRob, BRob, D.Pierce, TDP, H.Haskins
WR - Ceedee, J.Jefferson, JuJu, A.Pierce, Meyers, NWI
TE - M.Andrews, Brevin, J.Woods, L.Thomas
Defense: Cowboys/Viks

CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH
QB - Mahomes, Cousins, Love, Mond, Rush, M.White, Strong
RB - C-Patt, Singletary, K.Herbert, Foreman, Hubbard, Lindsay
WR - Lockett, Hollywood, OBJ, Golladay, AJG, Hardman, Meyers, Osborn, ISM
TE - Kelsey, Ertz, G.Everett, Bryant
Taxi - BRob, TDP, Ingram, A.Smith, K.Phillips, Metchie, Shakir, Tolbert, Thorton, J.Woods, S.Thompson

ALL THE MARBLES
QB - TB12, J.Hurts, Stafford
RB - Ekeler, Zeke, C-Patt, Mack, Rhamondre, BRob, R.White, Foreman
WR - AJ Brown, London, Watson, A.Pierce, Burks, OBJ, Golladay, Amon-Ra, Marshall
TE - Gronk, T.Higbee, D.Arnold, Ebron
Defense: Bills/Saints

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:04 am

I'm starting Mahomes this week, so those waiting for him to regress, wait no longer

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:40 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:04 am I'm starting Mahomes this week, so those waiting for him to regress, wait no longer
Same - starting him over Luck

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:32 pm

Ah the rules of fantasy.. Finally start the guy? Bound to flop now!

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:24 pm

Drafted him as my 3rd QB in a superflex startup. In the 5th round.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:44 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:24 pm Drafted him as my 3rd QB in a superflex startup. In the 5th round.
Well that's just league malpractice! :surprised:
10 team .5 PPR SF

QB - Mahomes, Jackson, Hurts, Zach Wilson
RB - Saquon, Chubb, AJD, Dobbins, Penny, Gio, T. Jones
WR - Hill, AJB, Diggs, Sutton, Jeudy, Bateman, Watkins, Slayton, Callaway
TE - Goedert, Pitts, OJH, Cook
Taxi - Mims, D. Brown, Jacob Harris

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:02 pm

mild wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:44 pm
slaughterrt wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:24 pm Drafted him as my 3rd QB in a superflex startup. In the 5th round.
Well that's just league malpractice! :surprised:
Yep. I fell into the Jimmy Garop hype and drafted him in the 2nd round. Grabbed Luck in the 4th and fell into Mahomes in the 6th actually (not 5th as I originally said). Bad move followed by good move followed by a lot of luck.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:11 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:02 pm Yep. I fell into the Jimmy Garop hype and drafted him in the 2nd round. Grabbed Luck in the 4th and fell into Mahomes in the 6th actually (not 5th as I originally said). Bad move followed by good move followed by a lot of luck.
You did great. I traded Joe Mixon for him in the off season in our Superflex and was thrilled about it... but I was definitely holding my breath waiting to see him play and "hoping Andy was right".
10 team .5 PPR SF

QB - Mahomes, Jackson, Hurts, Zach Wilson
RB - Saquon, Chubb, AJD, Dobbins, Penny, Gio, T. Jones
WR - Hill, AJB, Diggs, Sutton, Jeudy, Bateman, Watkins, Slayton, Callaway
TE - Goedert, Pitts, OJH, Cook
Taxi - Mims, D. Brown, Jacob Harris

A-train
Starter
Starter

Postby A-train » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:27 pm

I drafted him in the 3rd round of a 24 team league start up I did this offseason. That was my best pick based on how things have gone so far.
Team 1: France Les Bleus: 20 team .5 ppr dynasty league. Starters in Bold
QB: Andrew Luck, Marcus Mariota
RB: Ezekiel Elliot, Alex Collins, D'onta Foreman, Chris Carson, James White, Kenneth Dixon
WR: Mike Williams, Chris Godwin, DJ Moore, Laquon Treadwell, Taywan Taylor, Josh Malone
TE: Eric Ebron, Hunter Henry, Adam Shaheen
D/ST: Patriots, Saints

Team 2: New England Patriots: 24 Team standard league. Starters in Bold
QB: Patrick Mahommes, Josh Rosen
RB: Royce Freeman, Nick Chubb, Phillip Lindsay, Derius Guice, Melvin Gordon
WR: DJ Moore, Courtland Sutton, DJ Chark, Desean Hamilton, Laquon Treadwell, Equanimous St. Brown, James Washington
TE: Gerald Everett, Adam Shaheen, Hunter Henry
Def: Titans