Re: Doug Baldwin - Cliff ahead?

Postby Mjvb5 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:06 am

mid-late 2nd probs

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:25 am

Is Baldwin for Kirk OR Gallup a fair offer? How much more should I be adding as the Baldwin owner?

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:28 am

Won't pay more than a 3rd, and I'd worry if that's too much.

Baldwin's yards per catch is down nearly three yards from last year, and it's easily the lowest mark of his entire career. His cap hit next year is 13 mil and his dead-cap is 6 mil. He'll be 31 next season when the season starts. Baldwin's a highly respected leader in the Seattle locker-room, but it would make some sense to cut him this offseason if he won't agree to a pay-cut, especially with Lockett and Moore demonstrating that Baldwin is no longer essential to the offense.

I don't think it's impossible Baldwin has one more good year (in Seattle or elsewhere) before he hangs up the cleats, but I'm not optimistic about the odds.
Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:25 am Baldwin for Kirk
Grand Larceny.
OR Gallup
Better, but the Baldwin side needs to throw in a 3rd or something.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Got to give Baldwin credit - if you started him this last week out of need or belief or just because - he rewarded you handsomely. WR #4 I believe in typical PPR. Better late than never right?
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:37 am

It's still never this year - but he's been banged up all year too. Not sure how long he has left, but I'd be willing to gamble that he rebounds handsomely next year
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:57 am

ArrylT wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:45 pm Got to give Baldwin credit - if you started him this last week out of need or belief or just because - he rewarded you handsomely. WR #4 I believe in typical PPR. Better late than never right?
But who bothered to start him? It was just his third double-digit fantasy point game in half-PPR all year, and fantasy teams still active in Week 15 likely have more reliable options.
Pet_Smith wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:37 am It's still never this year - but he's been banged up all year too. Not sure how long he has left, but I'd be willing to gamble that he rebounds handsomely next year
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-sea ... dwin-8526/

Baldwin's a solid bet to be cut this offseason. With a dead-cap hit of 6 mil, 13 million is too much for a 31 y/o player coming off the worst season of his career since 2012.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:50 am

Yeah that's fair - I hadn't thought about (had absolutely no clue about) his cap hit situation. I guess it depends on how much they want him back to mentor the younger wide receivers / how much he has left to be the main WR combined with willingness to take a pay cut.

If I get any kind of sensible offer I'm selling him. I tried to package Howard and Baldwin before the start of this year for a WR upgrade but had no takers. Looks like he'll be retiring on my squad
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:56 pm

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:20 pm

Since I last posted in this thread I had actually cooled on my prediction that Baldwin is at risk of being released this offseason, but now he's gonna need yet more surgeries? I know Seattle has practically no WR depth beyond Lockett-Baldwin-Moore, but how can Seattle justify paying Baldwin 13 mil if he can't even play?
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:48 am

It looks like these injuries will be the end of him, unfortunate.

Jason72
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Jason72 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:10 am

I'm the unfortunate dope who traded a 2018 first during the 2017 season. Now I'm stuck with him at $7 on the final year of his contract.

With this news of his latest sports hernia surgery it's fair to wonder if he will ever be the same physically again. He'll turn 31 during the upcoming season, so all signs seem to be pointing to a downward slope. He's a guy who rose from undrafted to good pro WR, so maybe his skills will let him overcome the injuries and have a nice end of career run, but it seems less likely at this point.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu May 09, 2019 2:41 pm

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu May 09, 2019 5:00 pm

Only a month ago, I had a leaguemate throw a temper tantrum at me in trade discussions because he was insulted I wouldn't consider acquiring Baldwin from him after I learned about Doug's surgeries this offseason. smh

My obnoxious leaguemate aside, I take no real life satisfaction from this. Doug Baldwin played football the right way.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Postby grandmabetty » Thu May 09, 2019 5:11 pm

Any chance he picks up with another team? I could see belechiek being a fan of Baldwin and taking a shot. Hes talked about retirement already though so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't just hang it up

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Thu May 09, 2019 5:14 pm

grandmabetty wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:11 pm Any chance he picks up with another team? I could see belechiek being a fan of Baldwin and taking a shot. Hes talked about retirement already though so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't just hang it up
He’s done ... the release was a favor to him by the Seahawks because he gets to keep about $2.8 million if he retired before being released he would have had to pay that back.