Leagues that have 2 matchups every week....

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Leagues that have 2 matchups every week....

Postby yumbo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Hey Guys, I was wondering if any of you play in or have played in leagues where each team plays 2 different teams each fantasy week. The commish of my keeper league (He's my brother) has asked me my thoughts on changing our league format to the 2 matchup format. I had never heard of it, but apparently another member (also he's an old friend and neighbor) has been playing in a league like this for years. This owner says it takes a lot of the "luck" out of winning.

What are these leagues like? What are the advantages or disadvantages, if any??

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

MonkeyOne
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Leagues that have 2 matchups every week....

Postby MonkeyOne » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:43 pm

I'm in a league where we play two games on non-bye weeks. The idea is that the more games you play, the better the 'best' teams will do and the less weekly luck is involved. The apogee of this thought is leagues where you play everyone every week, and end with some huge win-loss records. Playing two a week is a nod in the his direction.

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:46 pm

My league just went to 2 games per week last season after doing single matchups for 9 years. It didn't really make a drastic change in the standings like I thought it would. It was more fun tracking 2 matchups each week and we've decided to keep it. One thing I would recomend is if you do decide to do the 2 games per week thing, DO IT EVERY WEEK. This takes out the luck factor of injuries and a guy getting hot for the 2 week games and somebody else hot for the 1 week games. If you play 2 every week it makes it more even. Everyone has byes so that doesn't effect it much. I'd hate to lose my best player for a few double headers only to get him back for single games and miss playoffs by a hair. Playing 2 every week takes the "what coulda been" out of it.

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:24 am

I did this in a couple of start-up leagues and was met with an owner coup at seasons end. The owners wanted to switch to one matchup per week in both leagues. Near unanimous vote against. I guess its not for the faint of heart though. Personally I prefer doubleheader matchups on non bye weeks. Like some other comments I believe doubleheaders help eliminate some of the luck factor in regular head-to-head format and also puts a bit more strategy into your decisions, one bad week puts you two games behind. I wish MFL would allow you to enter different starting lineups for each matchup.

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:23 am

MonkeyOne wrote:I'm in a league where we play two games on non-bye weeks. The idea is that the more games you play, the better the 'best' teams will do and the less weekly luck is involved. The apogee of this thought is leagues where you play everyone every week, and end with some huge win-loss records. Playing two a week is a nod in the his direction.
Never played in a league like this but this sounds like a goo reason to consider the setup...
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play