Wallace vs Jackson

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dlf_ericd
Administrator

Wallace vs Jackson

Postby dlf_ericd » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:26 am

Mike Wallace vs. DeSean Jackson

This isn't a trade question. In fact, I don't own either of these players and I'm not working on acquiring them. I just wanted to see what everyone thought of their value relative to each other...

So, who is more talented, better situation, longer career, whose style do you like better, better run blocker, more snaps, injury concerns, etc...what are your thoughts on these two and why do you feel like that?

*Disclaimer - I know I can just look at the rankings in this forum to see who someone has ranked higher. I'm looking for the 'why' behind what you think.
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Wallace vs Jackson

Postby skip » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Wallace (unless you play in return yardage leagues). Desean Jackson may very well be one of the more overrated WRs in the NFL right now. His value comes in that he produces in the return game in addition to being a WR. But he is a one-dimensional threat in the offense with limited stature and bulk. Unless he gets the deep ball, he does not pose any kind of a scoring threat particularly in the red zone. When defenses have shadowed him, they can take him almost completely out of a game. Wallace is a bigger, more physical presence on the football field.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:24 pm

This is a tough type of question, because I'm sure by picking one or the other it gets perceived as trashing the other guy. But here goes:

For me it's Wallace and it's not all that close. Wallace is in a better situation to produce consistently on a fantasy basis. He is clearly the WR1 in Pitt. D. Jax is 1A or 2 with Maclin getting more targets and more receptions. I think, in particular, 2011 will be a big year for Wallace. Ward will stick around and make it tough for the others (e.g. Sanders) to emerge and get time. Frankly, I'd rather have Maclin than D. Jax anyway which really leaves it as a clear cut decision that Wallace gets the nod over D. Jax.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be fine with D. Jax as my WR2/3 but Wallace is a low end WR1. It's sort of interesting that you ask this question because the top four FA WRs in my contract league are likely Wallace, Austin, D. Jax and S. Rice. I'm very interested to see who gets the top money during the auction.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:56 am

skip wrote:Wallace (unless you play in return yardage leagues). Desean Jackson may very well be one of the more overrated WRs in the NFL right now. His value comes in that he produces in the return game in addition to being a WR. But he is a one-dimensional threat in the offense with limited stature and bulk. Unless he gets the deep ball, he does not pose any kind of a scoring threat particularly in the red zone. When defenses have shadowed him, they can take him almost completely out of a game. Wallace is a bigger, more physical presence on the football field.
Exactly... DeSean is one of the most over rated WR's out there. Easily Wallace.

dabearsfan
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dabearsfan » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:41 pm

Wallace for me. He seems to be the more complete receiver. I'm not sure I agree with some of the comments about Jackson being overrated. If anything I am surprised at how low some people have him ranked in their WR rankings. One person has him ranked 42. I have always felt that DeSean is a bit underrated by many on this board. There is this strange anti-DeSean sentiment that I can't seem to figure out. He may be a one trick pony but that one trick has served him well to this point.

Mangelo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mangelo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:16 pm

dabearsfan wrote:Wallace for me. He seems to be the more complete receiver. I'm not sure I agree with some of the comments about Jackson being overrated. If anything I am surprised at how low some people have him ranked in their WR rankings. One person has him ranked 42. I have always felt that DeSean is a bit underrated by many on this board. There is this strange anti-DeSean sentiment that I can't seem to figure out. He may be a one trick pony but that one trick has served him well to this point.
I'm with ya. DeSean gets no respect around here because everyone seems to be so high on Maclin. I'm sure if you polled every defensive coordinator as to who they fear most, the majority would say Jackson. He's balled out every year he's been in the league and only missed 3 games in 3 years. Not exactly injury prone.

Biggcmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Biggcmo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:57 pm

Im going with D jaxx..I know allot of you guys dont really care for him but the dude is electric and makes plays...I like Wallace and don't have anything bad to say bout him..my preference is Jackson though
2010 Gridiron Dynasty Football Classic 3 Champ!!

Twitter: @Bossmancmo

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:17 am

Neither. Both don't fit the profile I like for the price tag. Wallace and DeSean get most of their production from bombs. That has a tendency to be inconsistent. Both are more #2/#3 WR types, which command #1 WR value in trade/draft value. I don't own either and probably won't in the future. I will say that of the two, Wallace has the best chance to round his game a la Greg Jennings, but will never be a consistent 80 to 100-catch guy, IMO. Too slight. Jackson is already in the 40 to 60-catch range and we've already seen his ceiling, IMO. He's too small for a giant target load and elite production.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars