Baker mayfield

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Let’s talk... Baker Mayfield

Postby DLF3000 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:39 pm

Avery wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:49 am Jackson however, could be a disrupter at the position where his running ability can win you the week all on his own. With a QB in a start 1 QB league, I'll take the gamble on the upside here recognizing the (considerable) risk.
True - guess it depends on how long you're willing to wait.

Baker's far more pro-ready now, more than I expected, despite all the overblown Tyrod talk. If the the Browns weren't such an abysmal organization, Baker would get a lot more hype. But it's a pit till they prove otherwise (win some damn games!), despite all the weapons and talent around him.

No question Jackson as a runner is elite, but as an NFL QB he's going to take more time to figure it out. Baker takes over for Tyrod well before Jackson takes over for Flacco. And Flacco's weapons are pretty average right now.

So yeah, New Browns Baker for me instead of Old Browns Jackson. :ewink:
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:37 pm

Avery wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:49 am I don't play in any superflex or 2QB leagues that may value floor over ceiling but in a 1 QB leagues I'm taking Jackson over Mayfield and I like Mayfield as an NFL QB.

I look at is this way. I expect Mayfield to be solid but his points to be pretty easily replaceable as there are about 1/2 to 2/3s of the starting QBs in the NFL sitting on someone's fantasy bench (where the cost is usually quite low to acquire) or waiver wire (where the cost is almost nil).

Jackson however, could be a disrupter at the position where his running ability can win you the week all on his own. With a QB in a start 1 QB league, I'll take the gamble on the upside here recognizing the (considerable) risk.
From what I have seen, Jackson is miles away from being an NFL starter. His accuracy is awful, he has zero pocket poise, and takes hits he doesn't need to take. I'm honestly not sure how much more upside Jackson possesses since he is light years away from Baker's accuracy, poise, and overall football sense at the position. I suppose if he ever became an average passer, the upside might be there. but you obviously don't need to be convinced of the risk.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:13 pm

I also love the guy. Think he is very versatile for a shorter qb. What range of picks is he falling under in most rookie drafts?
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Baker Mayfield will be considered a top 7 QB after next season. He's going to have a 10+ year career as a successful QB.

The Browns will be in an AFC Championship game within the next 3 years, you heard it here first!

I'm not even a Browns fan, just a big believer in Mayfield's talent and the overall roster in Cleveland.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Cleveland's Management team did very well drafting him 1st overall. While I am not a fan of the coach I am a fan of their GM. Baker is extremely accurate at all three route levels.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:04 am

Ice wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:29 pm Cleveland's Management team did very well drafting him 1st overall. While I am not a fan of the coach I am a fan of their GM. Baker is extremely accurate at all three route levels.
Judgment of a GM based on them making what most of us perceive to be the right call at 1.1...when most off the street GMs would have done the same...
It’s not very telling how good a GM is by them making the obvious choice with no need to do anything but sit back and pick at 1.1. Congrats to Dorsey on putting in the work to land Mayfield, I guess?

What IS telling (and far more difficult) is successfully managing a sustainable roster (effectively smart cap management, not massively overpaying guys, not trading assets for nothing just to send them to a wasteland, etc).

Dorsey stepped into a Chiefs team that was already successful with some real stars. He apparently drove himself out of KC because he didn’t demonstrate an ability to do this. So far, what has he done to set up the Browns future, other than drafting Mayfield (which most of us armchair GMs would have done)?

I like the Browns future, but it’s because of Mayfield, not Dorsey.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:13 am

Valhalla wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:04 am
Ice wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:29 pm Cleveland's Management team did very well drafting him 1st overall. While I am not a fan of the coach I am a fan of their GM. Baker is extremely accurate at all three route levels.
Judgment of a GM based on them making what most of us perceive to be the right call at 1.1...when most off the street GMs would have done the same...
It’s not very telling how good a GM is by them making the obvious choice with no need to do anything but sit back and pick at 1.1. Congrats to Dorsey on putting in the work to land Mayfield, I guess?

What IS telling (and far more difficult) is successfully managing a sustainable roster (effectively smart cap management, not massively overpaying guys, not trading assets for nothing just to send them to a wasteland, etc).

Dorsey stepped into a Chiefs team that was already successful with some real stars. He apparently drove himself out of KC because he didn’t demonstrate an ability to do this. So far, what has he done to set up the Browns future, other than drafting Mayfield (which most of us armchair GMs would have done)?

I think Dorsey still deserves a good amount of credit if Mayfield does end up working out. This wasn't like Indianapolis taking Andrew Luck. Baker was far from the consensus 1.1. There were quite a few quarterbacks this year, so I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision.

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:07 pm

Decent outlying last night. Would really like to see him with the 1’s and with Gordon in the field.

He made some good plays last night in throwing the ball away a couple times, and his other throws were in target and even while under pressure.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Chubb, Connor, Pacheco, Mattison, DCook, Perine
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, JJeudy, CSutton, Flowers, MThomas, Slayton, DParker, CDavis, DMims
TE: DSchultz, Musgrave, MGesicki, McBride, Kraft, Dissly
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.10, 1.12, 2.01, 2.02

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: Hull, Jackson, Vaughn, Wilson
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.09, 1.10, 1.12, 2.01

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:39 am

The legend grows
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, JJeudy, CSutton, Flowers, MThomas, Slayton, DParker, CDavis, DMims

SafeLeague #1 (SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex

SafeLeague #2
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:26 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:13 am
Valhalla wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:04 am

I think Dorsey still deserves a good amount of credit if Mayfield does end up working out. This wasn't like Indianapolis taking Andrew Luck. Baker was far from the consensus 1.1. There were quite a few quarterbacks this year, so I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision.
Dorsey has been awesome the last few years. Regardless of any fallout in KC, Mahomes and several recent picks have turned KC into a juggernaut. In Cleveland it's not just Baker; The other players drafted and FA pick ups to date are playing at very high levels. Cleveland looks like a completely different team with his finger prints all over it.

There are starters all over the place he brought in this year; To many to list but the Browns only kept something like 19 or 20 players from last season. Ward looks like a Brilliant Pick. He is clearly the Rookie defensive player of the year to date and if he continues will easily make the pro bowl. The Landry to Baker connection could be huge and Calloway looks like an absolute steal draft pick. Hyde is also playing at a high level.

The transformation of this team is amazing. To give some credit to the last group from Brown. Garrett and Ogunjobi are absolute monsters up front on defense.

The Browns are finally fun to watch.

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:48 pm

Figured it was time to bump this thread. There have been some growing pains - and the season isn’t over and he could still regress - but he has been far and away the best rookie QB in this class. Glad I grabbed him in both my leagues... and can’t wait for them to get him another big/field stretching WR. And this next year’s class is full of them!

As stated before, I think he’s got perennial top 10 upside going forward. And if they continue to build the offense around him he could be top 5.
Gopher Two

SafeLeague #2

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:09 pm

Kid looks the part.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:44 pm

Love him! Have him in my main league and he was the first one I traded for in my rebuild

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:50 pm

The Dorsey slobbing didn't age so well

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:52 am

Krypto_King wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:50 pm The Dorsey slobbing didn't age so well
Obviously from my previous posts in this thread I am a a big fan of Dorsey but most importantly firing their coach and coordinator IMO will really help Baker. The Browns have a team with loads of NFL talent now and he seems freed up to go out and play. Williams sure looks to be a stabilizing force and could be in the running in the off-season to be the HC. The front runners are probably Riley and Arians at this point but at least the Browns are moving in the right direction.

Looks to me like Dorsey is consolidating power and has the ear of ownership which is saying something with this Franchise. The Browns haven't looked this good in years. The draft last season looks like a Home Run.

With Baker at QB and the talent around him on both sides of the ball they will challenge for a division title as early as next season IMO.