Gesicki

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Gesicki

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:07 pm

So reports out of camp have Gesicki being the second coming of the little baby Jesus; but through 2 preseason games he hasn’t received a target. I’m not even sure he’s played a down. Anyone know what gives with him?

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Gesicki

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:13 pm

What scares me about Gesicki and why I haven't taken him anywhere is he's one of (if not the) most athletic TE we've ever seen enter the league yet his YPR in college was horrible (11.5 YPR). I did a little research and I don't believe there has been a stud TE with a College YPR as low as his. I call it Kevin White syndrome.

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:14 pm

That’s definitely odd for sure. I wonder if it’s due to his blocking being so bad?
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:16 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:13 pm What scares me about Gesicki and why I haven't taken him anywhere is he's one of (if not the) most athletic TE we've ever seen enter the league yet his YPR in college was horrible (11.5 YPR). I did a little research and I don't believe there has been a stud TE with a College YPR as low as his. I call it Kevin White syndrome.
That’s really interesting. I watched him a lot in college and they always hyped him up but he never really stood out to me in the games I saw. Makes sense given what you just posted.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Watching the local Miami coverage ... he did play no targets. The crew tried to talk up his effort blocking ... looked pretty lame IMO.

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:08 pm

Is it unrealistic to think that he'll be productive from day 1 and even be the Dolphins #1 redzone target?

I see the Dolphins passing a lot this year, whether it be due to them playing catch-up a lot or due to their offensive personnel, so I'm not concerned about his poor blocking keeping him off the field too much. So you gotta assume he'll be the #1 receiving TE on the team, and then there's what competition for targets? Parker, Stills, Wilson, Amendola? Drake/Gore/Ballage?

So yeah, Gesicki confuses me when I compare him to plenty of TEs going above him in redraft for example (Jared Cook, Howard + Brate, Doyle + Ebron, Eifert, Seals-Jones, Seferian-Jenkins, Charles Clay). Am I crazy for thinking it's a solid bet that he can do something like, idk, 40-50 catches, 500-600 yards, 5-7 TDs? That would give him low TE1 numbers. Or is that just wishful "blind rookie hype" thinking on my part?

In other words, can someone help talk me out of (or more into) him? Lol.
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:41 pm

No confusion for me; Miami or any team won't show much in routes or even game plans. I do care about RB performance as they have to be able to run in a base scheme but WR's and TE's are a little different story.

He needs to learn how to block bigger faster players as do all young TE's so it is a bit rare for them to break out year one. That said, he is excellent in routes and has good hands so he should produce just fine in season.

His real value will probably come in 2019 once he learns the NFL game. He could possibly have an Engram type year which means several really good games and several bad ones. Engram had 5 games last year under 5 points yet still managed top 5 numbers due to several good ones lined up out wide or in the slot which is how I expect Miami to utilize his skill set this season.

He has tremendous skill as a receiver but he is not Gronk or a couple of do it all TE's which is rare these days given the college game is quite different these days.

As far as redraft this year. I would have no problem drafting him as a TE2 but too much risk as a TE1 given the odds are high he will be inconsistent. Like him a ton in Dynasty as a high end 2nd round pick in rookie drafts.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:47 am

Thanks Ice, that helps a bit. Keeps me expectations in check at the very least. The unexciting story of my offseason has been deciding which TE I want in our Rookie/FA draft, Burton v Kittle v Gesicki. I only need the production once Gronk retires (after this year? next year? who knows), so I think I'm leaning Gesicki as a result.
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:56 am

Life of Pablo wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:47 am Thanks Ice, that helps a bit. Keeps me expectations in check at the very least. The unexciting story of my offseason has been deciding which TE I want in our Rookie/FA draft, Burton v Kittle v Gesicki. I only need the production once Gronk retires (after this year? next year? who knows), so I think I'm leaning Gesicki as a result.
I would definitely go Gesicki since you own Gronk. Really like his upside as the next gen hybrid TE type we are seeing in the NFL.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:49 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:13 pm What scares me about Gesicki and why I haven't taken him anywhere is he's one of (if not the) most athletic TE we've ever seen enter the league yet his YPR in college was horrible (11.5 YPR). I did a little research and I don't believe there has been a stud TE with a College YPR as low as his. I call it Kevin White syndrome.
Jason Witten was 11.7 and Jordan Reed was 12.0. So 11.5 isn't much of an outlier. edit: Kellen Winslow was 11.5.

Gesicki was poorly utilized by Penn State's offense -- he didn't run nearly enough seam routes. It's all the more exasperating considering that when he did, he was consistently effective with them. But then the OC would just dial up another lame target in the flat for Gesicki.

Gotta have tape context, DD.

Now, with that having been said...

The same tape also indicates Gesicki isn't much of a run-after-catch threat, and to some extent that does support your point. So all those low depth of target receptions Gesicki got weren't very effective.

Gesicki doesn't appear to be a possession-receiver. He's a great seam route and end-zone threat, and can make plays outside the hashmarks along the sideline. But the college tape does not show me a player that can work the middle of the field for a high target volume role.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:42 am

ninotoreS wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:49 pm
Jason Witten was 11.7 and Jordan Reed was 12.0. So 11.5 isn't much of an outlier. edit: Kellen Winslow was 11.5.
Ah Kellen Winslow, good catch. The players who haven't been in the league for a few years are harder to get info on. Witten and Reed weren't overt athletes, so their low YPR wouldn't be as concerning. But Winslow was a pretty good athlete from what I remember.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:35 am

You probably shouldn't care about the amount of targets. It's preseason. But, TE's (even good ones) are notoriously slow to develop. So, if you're depending on him to be very good right away, I'd temper expectations especially since he's a work in progress as a blocker.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:10 am

This was the only thread I could find on Gesicki. What are people's thoughts now with a change of scenery?

Obviously, a huge step back under McDaniel's as he didn't fit his scheme. But now he's in NE, back with Bill O'brien who had him at Penn State and recruited him. Most receptions by a TE in Penn State history, and there have been a fair amount of them. Highly athletic guy. Play maker starved offense.

I am looking for a nice bounce back season from him and eclipsing his 2021 marks.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:13 am

lol, I should use this term more.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:39 am

Lumps wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:10 am This was the only thread I could find on Gesicki. What are people's thoughts now with a change of scenery?

Obviously, a huge step back under McDaniel's as he didn't fit his scheme. But now he's in NE, back with Bill O'brien who had him at Penn State and recruited him. Most receptions by a TE in Penn State history, and there have been a fair amount of them. Highly athletic guy. Play maker starved offense.

I am looking for a nice bounce back season from him and eclipsing his 2021 marks.
I don't see him getting anywhere near 112 targets like he did in 2021.