Over / Under Baker Mayfield Starts

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.

Over / Under 8 Games

Under
88%
Over
12%

Total votes: 41

Lssd2012
Role Player
Role Player

Over / Under Baker Mayfield Starts

Postby Lssd2012 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Baker is a tantalizing talent but those in 2QB or superflex leagues have a hard time valuing him since it is clear he will be on the bench starting Week 1 and potentially all year. If he is indeed out all year, his value could take a large hit - particularly since Darnold, another impressive rookie QB, could be starting Week 1. At least for me, in Dynasty the current year is always the most valuable whereas future years should always be discounted.

As a discussion point, I'm curious if you think Baker will start in the first half of the season or not?

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Over / Under Baker Mayfield Starts

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:34 pm

He probably won't start unless Tyrod blows or the Browns are out of playoff contention.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:56 pm

Cleveland's bye is week 11, they'll be out of contention by then. He will atart week 12 after the bye, Cleveland @ Cincinnati.

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:10 pm

Tyrod tends to get hurt, but you can’t count on Baker starting games for you this year.

Darnold is the short and long term gem of this class though, always was.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:27 pm

8 is too high. Easily under.

smallxl
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smallxl » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:39 pm

Great poll idea...i love tyrod but believe the coaches are going to have to start Mayfield before week 8
22-man, 12-team, 1 pt-PPR; Start 1-2RB; 3-4 WR; 1-2 TE

TEAM 1
QB: Prescott, Foles
RB: Barkley, P Barber, Duke, Gio Bernard, Gus, C Thompson, Breida, Ekeler
WR: A Cooper, Cooks, Lockett, C. Davis, Crowder, Chark, Stills
TE: OJ Howard

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:08 pm

I can see this team having success with Tyrod. If Tyrod stays healthy I agree that he’s the starter until/if they are out of playoff contention.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Nanananananana wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:10 pm Tyrod tends to get hurt, but you can’t count on Baker starting games for you this year.

Eh I disagree. By every metric and eye test Mayfield is hands down best QB in this class. His mechanics are crisp. He has a strong competitive edge. He has "it". The Browns made the right choice. They knew it for awhile and several teams were ready to trade the farm to get Mayfield if the Browns foolishly passed.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Tyrod will be starting all season and put the Browns in contention for the playoffs. Mayfield is far and away the best QB that came out this season but I'm not expecting him to start until 2019. Earliest possible would be after the bye week. It's not going to happen sooner, unless Tyrod gets hurt.

I don't agree at all with the assessment that him not starting this season reduces his value in any way. If anything, it will be helpful if he sits all season and hello his long term value.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:39 pm

I say under 4. They will wait until they are mathematically eliminated and maybe even a few more.

Browns are determined not to screw this one up.

He'll be give a full oppurtunity this time next year.
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:39 am

Bot101 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:16 pm
Nanananananana wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:10 pm Tyrod tends to get hurt, but you can’t count on Baker starting games for you this year.

Eh I disagree. By every metric and eye test Mayfield is hands down best QB in this class. His mechanics are crisp. He has a strong competitive edge. He has "it". The Browns made the right choice. They knew it for awhile and several teams were ready to trade the farm to get Mayfield if the Browns foolishly passed.
Couldn't agree more, the only thing stopping the hype from reaching Luck proportions is his height. I don't believe it will stop Baker from becoming elite, he's the best thing the Browns have done in years and has the "it" factor to turn them around.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:22 am

MrUbuto wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:39 pm I say under 4. They will wait until they are mathematically eliminated and maybe even a few more.
Browns are determined not to screw this one up.
This is exactly what I think as well. I think if you set the over under at 6 games it would be a somewhat tougher question. I'm not a browns fan but I really do hope they can start to turn things around just for the sake of giving those fans something after supporting a garbage team for so long.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:00 am

With the Browns it is a complete guess but I I tend to think the Browns will start him around week 3 or 4 unless they are winning out of the gate. He can really play. Tyrod is a good player but has plenty of flaws in his game in reading defenses and holding the ball too long.

This team needs a win and the fans will be calling for Baker really early if Tyrod can't turn them around quickly.

They face the Steelers and Saints out of the gate and could get blown out. Baker to start and get a win against the Jets who also have a rookie makes some sense. If not and the Browns go 0-3 I could see Baker going against the Raiders who have a suspect defense.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

DinoDynasty
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DinoDynasty » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:13 am

Ideally Tyrod gets hurt week 1 while the browns are trailing - Baker leads a come from behind victory, everyone gets free Budlight and Baker runs to mid field throws up two birds Austin 3:16 style and crushes 2 in front of a crowd.

The browns then sit Baker the rest of the season to finish 1-15 so I’ll take under.
2017 Champ, 2018 Runner-up, 2019 Champ, 2020 Champ, 2021 Runner-up
12 Team PPR
Stairway to Evans
QB: Hurts, Kirk, Bridgewater, Jimmy G
RB: CMC, Pollard, Foreman,
Sanders, Hill
WR: Kupp, Evans, Ridley, Dell, Josh Palmer, Hodgins, Osborn, Parker, MVS
TE: Kelce, Musgrave, Otton, Gray, Woods
DEF: Chicago Ravens
2024 2nd, 3rd, 4th

12 Team .5 PPR
Fields of Dreams
QB - Fields, Cousins, Wilson
RB - Taylor, Swift, Mixon, Pollard, Singelary, McLaughlin
WR - Olave, Tyreek, Tank Dell, Higgins, Gabriel Davis, E Moore, Mingo, Douglas
TE - Ferguson, Gray, Otton
DEF - 49ers, Pats
Picks 2024 2x1st, 3, 4

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:41 am

Seriously? I am taking the over.
If the Browns are 0-6 even up to 2-4 I think Mayfield will be the starter the rest of the way. If Tyrod can get them playing .500 maybe he keeps the job.
Last edited by maxhyde on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams