Media (Mis)information?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Media (Mis)information?

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:48 am

So In the age of constant "information", and I use quotation marks because information can be as loosely defined as somebody's opinion, how do we determine the off season in Dynasty? Beat writers need to write, a host of different media outlets need to provide "new" takes every day to fill a void. This particular feed made me bring this up, as I like Royce, but I have to aknowkledge that media is so powerful these days, it forms opinion based on another persons opinion too often, rather than on factual evidence.

As Denzel Washington stated, "it's more important to be first, than to be right".

Rotoworld:" Denver's Royce Freeman could be Primary back before too long." (Of course, anyone COULD be the primary back before too long)

Reference
: Denver Broncos RB Royce Freeman "will be the primary back before too long," according to ESPN's Jeff Legwold.

So a guy working for ESPN, not anyone within the Broncos organization. (Just another guy filling space.) So, an assumption by Rotoworld, (to fill space) based on a comment of another guy paid to fill space.

How do you view the medium these days, and what are some of your thoughts on the overwhelming amount of "information"?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Media (Mis)information?

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:16 am

do the exact opposite of whatever advice is given by some knucklehead at rotoworld. i'm positive they've never watched a full game of football in their lives. just the highlights and box scores then they make some stuff up.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:48 am

This is the exact kind of fluff that fills every single NFL "news" source this time of year. Ignore it.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:54 am

It's hardly just the media. Head coaches are as guilty as anyone with the off season comments they make about players on their teams.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:24 am

skip wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:54 am It's hardly just the media. Head coaches are as guilty as anyone with the off season comments they make about players on their teams.
Paging Pete Carroll. Everyone is an all-star until games start. Every rookie is going to make a "huge impact" until games start. Every FA signing is a gift from God that makes the previous team's management look completely inept... until games start.

Preseason beat writers analysis can be useful, you just have to weight the information appropriately. Follow it too far and you're likely to get bit. Stay completely disconnected and you might miss out. Positive coach speak is hardly ever useful without more context.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:33 am

Honestly, the only way to learn about players is to watch them yourself. It's best to ignore Rotoworld advice, fantasy experts, and consensus rankings. I truly suspect that half the folks giving takes about players have never watched them play outside of highlight reels.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:01 pm

You just have to decipher between opinion and fact. Some beat writer thinking a player looks terrible or amazing can be meaningless. More useful information are facts, such as who is running with the 1s, who is injured, quotes from coaches, etc.

I've been banging my head against the wall with this type of beat writer and amateur scouting nonsense since DJ came out. Nearly all the ridiculous narratives came from one person (I believe it was Evan Silva who called him slow footed or whatever it was, can't run inside etc.), and that spawned several other FF personalities to espouse the same thing and then nearly all the dynasty community believed it too. It's really amazing how much a narrative can catch on from just one persons opinion.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:34 pm

Jeff Legwold is terrible.

Not saying he's wrong about Royce, in this particular case.

But he is terrible.

Many of ESPN's assigned team reporters don't actually have any reliable internal sources in the organization, but they publish their totally speculative personnel predictions framed as if they do. Legwold is one of these, and not only that, his speculation tends to be wrong a lot more often than it's right. First noticed this a few years ago.

As for the OP's larger point... it boils down to your ability to critically and objectively consider the information. Bullshit has a look and a stench.

Easier said than done, of course.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:12 am

I trust the media.

Trust, but verify.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:26 am

ninotoreS wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:34 pm Jeff Legwold is terrible.

But he is terrible.

Many of ESPN's assigned team reporters don't actually have any reliable internal sources in the organization, but they publish their totally speculative personnel predictions framed as if they do. Legwold is one of these, and not only that, his speculation tends to be wrong a lot more often than it's right. First noticed this a few years ago.

As for the OP's larger point... it boils down to your ability to critically and objectively consider the information. Bullshit has a look and a stench.

Interesting. So are they just talking to other people within the industry, or are you are saying that a lot of them are confining themselves to their sources at ESPN (ie co-workers, ex players who may work there etc.) and whatever they can glean from the internet? (Just like you or I could)

Snake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Snake » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:18 pm

When’s that Martavis Bryant suspension coming? I regretfully traded him away for a late 2nd.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:30 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:26 am
ninotoreS wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:34 pm Jeff Legwold is terrible.

But he is terrible.

Interesting. So are they just talking to other people within the industry, or are you are saying that a lot of them are confining themselves to their sources at ESPN (ie co-workers, ex players who may work there etc.) and whatever they can glean from the internet? (Just like you or I could)
You got it in one. I'm saying some of them are glorified bloggers that aren't really more informed than us. Many don't even attend practices.

The ESPN reporters assigned to divisions tend to be much better, with real sources and credibility.

Some team reporters are really good. Paul Kuharsky for the Titans is one such. Kuharsky used to cover all the AFC South.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:01 pm You just have to decipher between opinion and fact.
This. If a beat writer tweet or roto blurb starts with "according to ________" ignore everything after it, maybe capitalize on hype or doubt on a trade partner at most. That's just a writer writing something to fill his quota and get paid

If something say "X player took 73% of 1st string snaps despite the Y projected starter being healthy" then that's something to take into account
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Snake wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:18 pm When’s that Martavis Bryant suspension coming? I regretfully traded him away for a late 2nd.
I was going to use this as an example, funny enough. Hundreds of stories across major news outlets written by different writers, ALL stemming from on tweet from Vegas Beat writer Michael Ghelken, had information from sources inside the Raiders....supposedly. Amazing how a story can go viral without any facts to it whatsoever.

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ImaRounder » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Dynasty is much easier than redraft in this regard. Drafting talent in rookie drafts is how you win. The only people that have to worry about offseason and training camp fluff stories are redrafters.