[Fun Thread] - What players do you value higher cause you just really like rooting for them?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

[Fun Thread] - What players do you value higher cause you just really like rooting for them?

Postby Life of Pablo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:06 pm

I think of this from time to time, and started thinking about it again because of this article: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/279 ... -every-day.

I had been trying to sell AJG this offseason to no avail, but after reading this article and being reminded of why I like him so much in the first place, I think I'll be taking him off my trading block. Just love his attitude and really want him to succeed and be recognized on the same plane as AB and Julio, instead of just a small step down (stop f***ing it up Bengals!).

Another one is Diggs, for a few reasons, one of them being these Vikings locker room videos he's unofficially starred in (for better or worse lol): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d-Smb2DfvM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rox-Ut77KNk.

Gronk is an easy if not immature choice, with his frat bro persona and his obsession with 69 among other things (articles are all over the place so no need to copy them here).

And after being a minor Kamara hater last year, I've done a 180 and am now considering overpaying for him thanks to this recent article: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/278 ... ctant-star.

For me, #1 goal in dynasty FF is still to win, but if I lose, I better go down with the guys I like. That's what makes the game so much fun for me and keeps me coming back year after year.

So what do you guys think? Homerism aside, what players can you not help but love? Do you go after them in FF or do you try to not let emotions get in the way? My reasons for players were kinda general, but they can be more specific/random (for example I also started to love Mack Hollins as a sleeper after learning about his love of biking). Anything goes! Let me know why I should make an emotional overpay for someone!
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: [Fun Thread] - What players do you value higher cause you just really like rooting for them?

Postby joeya2001 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:11 pm

I like Crowell, I think hes a lot better than people want to think, and will come out in a big way this year.

I like him because most are down on him and feel he's JAG
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Re: [Fun Thread] - What players do you value higher cause you just really like rooting for them?

Postby Life of Pablo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:27 pm

joeya2001 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:11 pm I like Crowell, I think hes a lot better than people want to think, and will come out in a big way this year.

And on a stupider note, he's got one of the better hype videos around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2GMcjNyAyI

But yeah I'm with you. Don't like his situation on the Jets unfortunately, but I think he's always been better than what he's gotten credit for. An UDFA RB entering his 5th year and already averaging 200+ touches in his first four years is nothing to scoff at! Would love to see him make some noise this year now that his buzz is at an arguable all-time low.

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Cousins. I'm an MSU homer and watched him when he was there, but aside from that his slightly goofy yet hard-working professional persona is hilarious. And there's the "you like that?!" bit. Also the underdog story as a 4th round backup.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... f386e57799

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:30 pm

AJG and Brees for me. I'm from Cincy and went to school at Purdue. Both are pure professionals and class acts on and off the field.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:38 pm

The ones on my roster or the ones making $$ for me that week in DFS. It's the only thing that matters to me. But I guess some players get on my nerves less than others, but that list is too long.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Christine Michael, because he's quietly a very devoted father. Yeah, we'll all hate him forever for petty fake football reasons, but Michael is a good man. He also took a girl with autism to her prom.

Devonta Freeman, because he finished his college degree in 2015 by completing his credits between playing on Sundays. And because of this. I swear I knew a kid in high-school with exactly the same mannerisms and facial expressions as Free (it's legit eerie). Bonus Fun Fact: one of the Falcons players interviewed in that video has exactly the same name as me, and almost the same birthdate (including year). I question my reality.

Tyrod Taylor, because his first name is actually pronounced TUH-rod, and he's been too polite to correct any one in the media regarding it.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Well my recent dynasty startup went Kamara-AJ Green so thanks for the warm feelings!

PRich is that guy for me.

Malcolm Mitchell before that.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:39 pm

The only one that comes to mind recently is Tarik Cohen, basically because I would like to see him overcome the criticism of his size.

Beyond that ... Meh?

smbkrypt24
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smbkrypt24 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:43 pm

My player was Danny Woodhead. I loved his story and i would trade him away and always end up getting him back somehow. Just couldn't quit him.
12 Team PPR Dynasty. Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 D, 21 roster spots.

2013 Startup
Team 1- 3rd in 2023
QB: Herbert, B. Purdy, Fields
RB: Bijan, Barkley, Akers, Dobbins
WR: T. Hill, D. Johnson, JSN, Doubs, Meyers, Thomas, Toney
TE: Andrews, Likely, Dulcic

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 1, 2, 2

2019 Startup
Team 2- 4th in 2023
QB: Murray, Cousins, Wilson
RB: Bijan, Kamara, Dobbins, Rodriguez
WR: Chase, G. Wilson, D. Adams, Di. Johnson, M. Wilson, W. Robinson, R. Rice
TE: McBride, Pitts, Kmet, Likely

2024: 1.01, 1.06, 1.08, 2.09
2025: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3

2021 Startup
Team 3- 11th in 2023
QB: Goff, Watson, Cousins, Levis, Rodgers, Young
RB: Gibbs, Pacheco, Dobbins
WR: Chase, J. Jefferson, JSN, Palmer, Mooney, Tillman
TE: Schultz, Pitts, Likely, Okonkwo

2024: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, 2.03, 2.06, 2.07, 2.10, 3.03, 3.06, 3.08
2025: 1, 2, 3

TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Postby TheRookiePro » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:09 pm

joeya2001 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:11 pm I like Crowell, I think hes a lot better than people want to think, and will come out in a big way this year.

Amazing that you picked one of the two--Tyreek Hill is the other--guys on my team, who I don't respects as a person. Ever since Crowell put out that animated image of a cop being murdered out on social media, I've been against him. Mainly because of his stupidity for doing that. But also because it was in such bad taste.

After Melvin Gordon's rookie year I traded for him. I had high hopes for him still and I had higher hopes after watching some of his interviews. He seems like a really good kid. Glad he's had 2 productive years thus far. Hope there are plenty more on the way.
10 Team PPR, 25 man roster(1st and 2nd year player PS option for $20), QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX (RB,WR,TE), K, DEF.

QB-Luck, A. Smith, Fitzpatrick
RB-Gurley, M. Gordon, Jeff Wilson, Tevin Coleman,T. Montgomery, John Kelly, Justin Davis
WR-K. Allen, T. Hill, Josh Gordon, Golladay, Fitzgerald, S. Watkins, J. Reynolds, Enunwa,
TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski
Defense-Vikings, Jaguars, Ravens

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:32 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:00 pm Christine Michael, because he's quietly a very devoted father. Yeah, we'll all hate him forever for petty fake football reasons, but Michael is a good man. He also took a girl with autism to her prom.

Devonta Freeman, because he finished his college degree in 2015 by completing his credits between playing on Sundays. And because of this. I swear I knew a kid in high-school with exactly the same mannerisms and facial expressions as Free (it's legit eerie). Bonus Fun Fact: one of the Falcons players interviewed in that video has exactly the same name as me, and almost the same birthdate (including year). I question my reality.

Tyrod Taylor, because his first name is actually pronounced TUH-rod, and he's been too polite to correct any one in the media regarding it.
Just when I thought I was free from the C-Mike hype train..... :lol:

That Freeman story (and video) is great. As a Tevin Coleman truther who trashed Freeman and attributed that 2015 season to dumb luck, he's really grown on me the last couple years.

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Just remembered another one, CJ Anderson. Aside from his great story of making it as a UDFA RB to eventually becoming the starting RB of the Super Bowl champ Broncos, he's apparently been wearing a Sonic The Hedgehog shirt under his jersey since he's been in college. I f***ing love Sonic. Although CJ does call him one of his "favorite cartoon characters". Cartoon? Come on CJ! https://www.facebook.com/NFL/videos/den ... 747741263/

As a former Montee Ball owner AND Ronnie Hillman owner AND losing to the CJ owner in the championship in our inaugural season in 2014 (Ball was my 2nd-round startup pick! :evil: :evil: :evil: ), I absolutely hated him for the longest time. But I eventually got over it, and once I saw the Sonic shirt, he finally won me over. Dude is just a hard worker and a great leader and doesn't take anything for granted it seems like.

On that note, if anybody can find that exact shirt somewhere online... let me know.

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:07 pm

Josh Gordon and Martavis Bryant. Mental illness is real and should receive as much attention as cancer does. Millions of people suffer in silence from their illness alone because it's still something you don't talk about. You ramp that stigma up 100X in the NFL where everyone are manly men, and JG or MB is suffering from anxiety? There are thousands of people in the stands rooting for or against you and you can't get over some feelings that are in your head? People don't understand the battle these guys are fighting. Instead they criticize them for coping the ways they have their entire lives. (And the NFL has banned a drug that actually helps with the issue and isn't performance enhancing). What they need are cheer leaders and compassion the same that people show for guys when they get a physical injury or illness. I'll probably be burned for owning these guys... heck I already have, but I continue to root for them. I love their talent and I would love to see them win not only on the field but the battle with their illness.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:18 pm

Any player who isn't a scumbag.

You never know for sure, but there are plenty of good dudes out there who show out in the community and for charity and never get in trouble.

Rich dudes who are actually smart enough to hang out with non-scumbags and not do astonishingly dumb crap and get busted by the police. I know, it's hard. Wait, what?

So Walter Payton award-type guys. Sadly, they sometimes seem like the exception thanks to all the pub the scumbags get.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -