Guice vs Chubb

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Guice vs Chubb

Postby MrUbuto » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:23 am

Can anyone explain to me why Guice seems to be always drafted before Chubb in rookie drafts.

They both have pretty similar numbers in college, both hampered by injuries. The difference being chubb pre-injury was MUCH better. Probably even the 1.1 if he continued the pace of his freshman and sophomore seasons.

Chubb killed him at the combine his sparq scores were top 10 over the last few years.

Perhaps this could just be about the injury but now guice has an equally difficult injury, infact chubs ACL qas never injured.

Chubb was taken +20 spots before him in the actual draft too which matters, these scouts know their sh*t.

I'm just struggling to see why guice was going/is going 1.2/3 still and chubb as low as 7 or 8
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: Guice vs Chubb

Postby Valhalla » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:43 am

MrUbuto wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:23 am Can anyone explain to me why Guice seems to be always drafted before Chubb in rookie drafts.

They both have pretty similar numbers in college, both hampered by injuries. The difference being chubb pre-injury was MUCH better. Probably even the 1.1 if he continued the pace of his freshman and sophomore seasons.

Chubb killed him at the combine his sparq scores were top 10 over the last few years.

Perhaps this could just be about the injury but now guice has an equally difficult injury, infact chubs ACL qas never injured.

Chubb was taken +20 spots before him in the actual draft too which matters, these scouts know their sh*t.

I'm just struggling to see why guice was going/is going 1.2/3 still and chubb as low as 7 or 8
:shh:
There's a long thread going on right now with people advising to take Guice at 2 still...
He never was my 2, and it frankly baffles me that people still clearly choose him over Chubb right now.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:44 am

Fantasy and the NFL is a lot different.

Teams also draft RB's based on their need so 20 spots isn't a lot given position needs in the NFL. My guess is Guice probably interviewed badly compared to Chubb and more than a few teams may have not felt he was a great fit due to intellect or personality traits. His tape was better in 2016 by a lot over 2017 and that may have also scared some teams. There was a reason he fell pretty hard in this class.

Both of the teams have very good 3rd down backs so both were looking at more power backs. Chubb is the more powerful of the two. More like a Blount type. Guice looks a bit more elusive and should be a better in a zone one cut and go schemes. Lamar Miller type upside IMO longer term.

Both have bright futures in the NFL. Neither is a player I want in fantasy much. Both are liabilities in the passing game but more people think Guice will probably be the better receiving back and they are probably right in that regard.

Personally in PPr leagues I would avoid both in the top 5 in fantasy. I want RB's with 3 down potential out of the gate so Like Penny, then its close between Michel and Johnson.

The Browns drafted the better player for their system and my guess is the Redskins were higher on Guice due to their system and players already on their roster.

Today, Chubb is now more valuable because he is playing and gets to develop. Guice enters the question mark world of fantasy which isn't a good place to be.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:06 am

The thing is chubb was actually a good pass catching threat his freshman year but those diminished because it seems georgia prefers to throw it to the younger guys.

Even gurley lost receptions to the younger guys.

Guice wasn't exactly a pass catching machine
Def - ARI DAL
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:10 am

I've liked Chubb over Guice since pre-Guice ACL too. It's a stretch to still rank Guice ahead of Chubb despite the fact he'll miss all of 2018, but I'm not too surprised. People like their guys and generall stick to them. ACL injuries and great recoveries are commonplace these days.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:18 am

I don't have an issue with either of their pass-catching abilities. They'll be fine in the NFL.

I like both prospects a lot. Guice's injury makes them very close for me, but pre-injury it was Guice easily. College numbers are mostly irrelevant in my book. Guice looked really good before getting hurt, so I still feel like he'll have no problem being successful in the NFL.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:21 am

The reason why I like Saquon, Penny, Guice as top 3 is they are all good at everything (if we are to leave pass blocking out of it :shh: ). They can run between the tackles but are also good out in space and can make people miss. Chubb is behind them because imo he's not a great player in space, he's not a "make you miss" kind of guy, and his initial burst is lacking. Also, there's a lot of combine numbers that people put stock into that are virtually meaningless, such as how high or far a RB can jump. Sure, ideally you want a good score, but it's kind of meaninglessness overall.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:27 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:21 am The reason why I like Saquon, Penny, Guice as top 3 is they are all good at everything (if we are to leave pass blocking out of it :shh: ). They can run between the tackles but are also good out in space and can make people miss. Chubb is behind them because imo he's not a great player in space, he's not a "make you miss" kind of guy, and his initial burst is lacking. Also, there's a lot of combine numbers that people put stock into that are virtually meaningless, such as how high or far a RB can jump. Sure, ideally you want a good score, but it's kind of meaninglessness overall.
How come Michel isn't in your top 3 Then? He can do all that and pass block. Other than Barkley probably the best pad catcher too
Def - ARI DAL
7th pick in 2021

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:37 am

MrUbuto wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:27 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:21 am The reason why I like Saquon, Penny, Guice as top 3 is they are all good at everything (if we are to leave pass blocking out of it :shh: ). They can run between the tackles but are also good out in space and can make people miss. Chubb is behind them because imo he's not a great player in space, he's not a "make you miss" kind of guy, and his initial burst is lacking. Also, there's a lot of combine numbers that people put stock into that are virtually meaningless, such as how high or far a RB can jump. Sure, ideally you want a good score, but it's kind of meaninglessness overall.
How come Michel isn't in your top 3 Then? He can do all that and pass block. Other than Barkley probably the best pad catcher too
Michel has never been given much volume, and has knee issues, not sure what DD feels, but I could not draft a guy top 3 who wasn't even considered the primary ball carrier on his own college team.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:57 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:37 am
Michel has never been given much volume, and has knee issues, not sure what DD feels, but I could not draft a guy top 3 who wasn't even considered the primary ball carrier on his own college team.
This doesn't really compute, the volume was pretty close especially when you consider Michel played one fewer game.

In Michel's 156 carries he averaged 7.9 yards per carry
In Chubb's 223 carries he average 6.0 Yards per carry.

The fact that it took 67 more carries to gain 118 more yards last year certainly didn't go unnoticed by the Patriots and is a key reason Michel went round 1 in the NFL draft. Michel is also caught the ball more although this team didn't throw it to the backs much. Michel is the far more fluid pass catcher. Michel was also more efficient in the scoring department scoring 2 more TD's on fewer touches.

I do think Chubb is more powerful and probably more durable but think Michel is the more electric player. Obviously the Pat's Medical staff was not concerned with his knee or not a chance he would have gone round 1.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:21 pm

The reason?

Tape.

Chubb has looked slow, hesitant and pedestrian since his injury. Maybe he recovers but right now it doesn't look like it.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:28 pm

That is exactly what all the Kamara doubters said. Michel is a borderline special talent. His bad knees are certainly a concern though.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:08 pm

remedy29 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:28 pm

That is exactly what all the Kamara doubters said. Michel is a borderline special talent. His bad knees are certainly a concern though.
Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree here. I thought he was the 2nd best back on Georgia, but that's just me. HE had some great games, but Chubb was necessary for him to succeed to that level of efficiency. He had a really good year, but I felt Kamara showed elite balance after contact, even at Tennessee, although I did not think he'd do that for his rookie year. Guys like Kamara don't happen that often, and I definitely don't see the same talent with Sony. I like Michel, but I had him around 1.05, or 1.06, and I might even put him lower now, below a couple of WR's, but I don't have any more drafts, so it doesn't really matter to me.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:34 pm

This is so frustrating.

I'm literally pulling out my hair trying to decide over guice, chubb and michel
Def - ARI DAL
7th pick in 2021

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:42 pm

DJB wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:21 pm The reason?

Tape.

Chubb has looked slow, hesitant and pedestrian since his injury. Maybe he recovers but right now it doesn't look like it.
I don't think that is true. I don't think he looks as quick since the injury, but I think he may be carrying a few extra pounds as well, compared to his sophomore year. He may never be what he was pre injury, but he's still extremely athletic, and I don't think he was "pedestrian" last year at all. Guice's tape last year did not impress me much either, and although he was playing hurt, I think that might be the M.O for Guice and his style. I personally had Chubb slightly ahead of Guice, but I would not fault people for having it the other way.