Madtoker
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Value of WRs verses RBs

Postby Madtoker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:40 am

MR ROURKE wrote:
Madtoker wrote:
kris_kapsner wrote: It sure does help though. :wink:
Might of been that one of those players would have won the championship for you though 8-)
Nope... I lost the Championship because I took over a really crappy team in a contract league for a challenge and I just started to rebuild it. Since I had to buy out a ton of crappy contracts this year to set me up for future domination, my cap was maxed out this year by week 8. So, I couldn't bid on players to fill my injury needs. The league starts 2 safety's, 2 CB's, and 3 DL. I was starting 1 DL, 1 S, 1 CB. I lost because the other guy barely beat me with 4 more guys on his side. If I wasn't rebuilding a crappy team, I would have had plenty of cap to put some bodies in my lineup that would have scored enough points to win. I lost the championship with a team that the majority of the league felt was the worst team in the league (next to worst at best) as of Jan 2010 with proper investment in value players and not trying to over pay for some stud RB to anchor my team.
Nice!! :thumbup:

standard_variance
Starter
Starter

Postby standard_variance » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:49 pm

kris_kapsner wrote: I don't need AP, CJ, MJD, R.Rice or any of those guys to win games.
Nobody here is saying that you do. But like Kris pointed out it helps. Its like in chess....some people need a Queen to win, and will do anything to protect it....there are people that dont need a queen, and have the ability to prey on intermediate level players who believe that they do. Sometimes having a stud RB can do just as much damage, as good, because people are not sure of when to let go, sell, or even sit their studs. The key is that over time you need to understand that there are multiple strategies in order to successfully build, rebuild, win with, and sustain overall success over time. There isnt just one clear cut best way...thats not what anybody is saying here. However, from an Inaugural draft standpoint you want to start off ahead, not behind. With that said, the first few picks should be RB because they are more valuable....and if you dont want an RB first and you like to go another route, there is nothing wrong with that as long as you get the right compensation, draft, and work the waiver wire accordingly.

The point thats being made is that mathematically its an advantage to have an elite RB....but that doest mean you HAVE TO HAVE ONE to be successful...thats why we play the game.
"We must be keenly alive to the defects of our own faith also, yet not leave it on that account, but try to overcome those defects." -Ghandi

There is a difference between argument, and dogmatic assertion. Argument leaves room for change, and improvement, dogma only leaves room for acceptance.

In honor of Gino - "Strong Fantasy Quarterbacks are the cornerstone to any successful Dynasty team"

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:55 pm

Just thought this was an interesting debate from years ago - and a fun reminder that the WR vs. RB debate seems eternal.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:03 pm

I don't think there's any question that over the last couple seasons RBs have proved dominant in dynasty rookie drafts...which has created great value for WRs in 2018. In my SF/2QB drafts Ridley/DJ/Sutton have all gone in the late 1st/early 2nd, versus the last couple years where WR were going with the 1.02-1.05.

In my Superflex we had all 8 RBs go in the first round and that's probably standard for most leagues this year.

WR have just simply burned owners the last few seasons which definitely puts a bad taste in your mouth.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:08 pm

Servo wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:03 pm I don't think there's any question that over the last couple seasons RBs have proved dominant in dynasty rookie drafts...which has created great value for WRs in 2018. In my SF/2QB drafts Ridley/DJ/Sutton have all gone in the late 1st/early 2nd, versus the last couple years where WR were going with the 1.02-1.05.

In my Superflex we had all 8 RBs go in the first round and that's probably standard for most leagues this year.

WR have just simply burned owners the last few seasons which definitely puts a bad taste in your mouth.
We just haven't had a lot of top-end WRs in recent classes, and this year is similar. The RBs this year are also way more talented.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:11 pm

I think it is interesting to note that the example used was Ingram vs. Green and both of them have had some good seasons and some disappointing (usually due to injury) but both have value 7 years later (although Green has more atm due to Ingram suspension & Kamara).

It just goes to show that sometimes you can go either way and still come out a winner. :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..