Samaje Perine

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Samaje Perine

Postby Valhalla » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:37 am

I found it interesting how quickly people wrote him off (including his coach) when he was running behind what we all acknowledge was an absolutely horrible/injury riddled OL (didn’t they have to play a tight end at tackle or something?). 3.4 is pretty piss-poor, but once upon a time Gurley ran for 3.4 on a MUCH bigger sample size in an offense constructed to get him going. I’m willing to forgive a small sample 3.4 behind a miserable line.

Anyways...he was in trade rumors and his coach clearly doesn’t like him at all. I thought he looked decent with very little running room but whatever.

Now the team is in a situation where the early down back will be likely a rotation of Kelley and Perine (unless a trade occurs), probably heavier Kelley due to the coach’s infatuation with the highly inexplosive specimen. Yet, Perine will get another chance.

I can’t be the only one on these boards that didn’t think Perine looked bad. I believe he could have a really nice season, but Gruden’s past actions do give me plenty of reason to pause.

He’s become one of my top preseason guys to watch with the unfortunate Guice injury. I didn’t see hardly a mention of him anywhere so decided to create a thread. If Patterson and Hill can have multiple threads, Perine can have one as well. Just a spot to talk about his chances/how his preseason develops.

So far, he’s looked good. Two nice ~15 yard runs (one called back) and an overall decent ypc in game 1. He’ll get some actual time with the 1s now maybe, if Gruden stops hating Perine/loving Kelley so much. We’ll see where this goes. Could be traded in a few days. A Gio Bernard could come in via trade. Or Perine could be the week 1 early down starter.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Samaje Perine

Postby Patsfan86 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:42 am

As someone who got him as a throw in in a trade I am very interested to see what he can do. He went in the first round of our draft last season. I know little to nothing about him so thank you for making this thread. I was quick to try and trade him yesterday after the Guice news, was getting some interest but not enough to the point I want to trade him. Gonna hold him for now and hope for the best. I need WR help badly and if he performs well he is on the block for sure since I feel ok at RB.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:51 am

What I find so hard to understand is coaches just giving up on these guys so quickly or wasting a draft pick on guys. Im a Pats fan and I think they wasted a pick on Michel, they don't need him, would have been fine with what they had. Same thing with Penny of the Seahawks, especially now with Carson looking good, can say the same thing about the Browns. Hyde is no superstar but he has ability and would have served on that team. Also guys get cut then go to other teams and look grea (Alex Collins) The RB landscape is just a mess, ya the NFL coaches and staff know a lot more than I do but I still question so many of their decisions and impatience at this position.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:21 am

I didn't think he was terrible in 2017, but yes, the o-line play was bad, and I don't think the run plays called for him earlier in the season worked to Perine's strengths. Later in the year there was some improvement in both areas, but it wasn't enough for the team to feel great about handing him the keys.

Instead, the went out and replaced him. My initial plan was going to be to offer him up in a trade to whomever ended up drafting Guice and cut my losses. But for now I'm going to hold to see how this situation plays out. I hadn't heard anything glowing about Kelley that I can recall, so maybe we're looking at a legitimate competition between the two for early down work?

Or possibly, Washington signs a RB or two once roster cuts are made and the whole situation is a crap shoot for the early part of the season. It would seem strange to me if Perine didn't get one more shot to impress at camp and over the rest of the preseason though. They at least thought enough of him to spend a 4th rounder last year, and that's much more than the UDFA signing of Kelley.

This situation obviously stinks for Guice and I feel bad for him losing his rookie season like that. I suppose I'm hopeful that Perine gets a second chance and does something with it.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:55 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:21 am I hadn't heard anything glowing about Kelley that I can recall, so maybe we're looking at a legitimate competition between the two for early down work?
Before Guice's injury, Kelley had secured his roster spot. He has done well for himself this offseason. The talk was they didn't want to have more than 4 RBs. Guice, Kelley and Thompson were locked in, even if Thompson wasn't gonna be 100% at the beginning of the season.

The caching staff reportedly wanted to find a way to keep one of Bibbs/Marshall, which meant Perine would be available. Pre Guice injury, it would seem that would mean one of Marshall or Bibbs would need to show a pass catching prowess.

The question will be if Guice's injury will allow them to keep both Bibbs and Marshall or if Perine edges his way in.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:05 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:55 am
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:21 am I hadn't heard anything glowing about Kelley that I can recall, so maybe we're looking at a legitimate competition between the two for early down work?
Before Guice's injury, Kelley had secured his roster spot. He has done well for himself this offseason. The talk was they didn't want to have more than 4 RBs. Guice, Kelley and Thompson were locked in, even if Thompson wasn't gonna be 100% at the beginning of the season.

The caching staff reportedly wanted to find a way to keep one of Bibbs/Marshall, which meant Perine would be available. Pre Guice injury, it would seem that would mean one of Marshall or Bibbs would need to show a pass catching prowess.

The question will be if Guice's injury will allow them to keep both Bibbs and Marshall or if Perine edges his way in.
I can't see the team wanting to roll will Thompson, Bibbs & Marshall unless one of them shows more as an inside runner. I think the injury to Guice vastly improves Perine's likelihood of making the roster at this point.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:20 am

ericanadian wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:05 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:55 am

I can't see the team wanting to roll will Thompson, Bibbs & Marshall unless one of them shows more as an inside runner. I think the injury to Guice vastly improves Perine's likelihood of making the roster at this point.
I agree, it should increase his chances, but it's odd Perine was on the bubble in the first place, so not certain.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:22 am

I think they will keep Marshall as Thompson insurance for that role. We've already seen Matt Jones vastly outplay Kelley and have the team cast out the guy with draft capital so I don't expect them to make the right call with Perine either. I guess the positive is I saw the OL open more holes Thursday night than they did all of 2017. Of course, preseason.
I think this backfield will be around average in production but sliced up too many ways. Unless you are getting a piece for late 3rd value or later, I'd call this an avoid until any further developments.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:24 am

Trade rumors for Perine stemmed from a roster building standpoint primarily, team wanted one of Bibbs or Marshall as Thompson insurance as none of Kelley Guice or Perine are very good pass catchers.So when accounting for Thompson, Guice, Kelley(whether he's good or not is questionable but Gruden likes him), and then Bibbs/Marshall all of the spots for an RB were taken up

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:43 pm

I expect Perine to show pretty well this year. He (should have) learned some tough lessons last year about his game/ability relative to NFL competition. Guice is the favorite to start W1 2019, so his dynasty value is an interesting case. In theory he should be worth the most to a Guice owner who just lost a projected starter, but I think he has stand alone 2018 value for contenders. I'm not enamored with the 2019 rookie class, so I'd trade a (late/contender) 2 for him while maybe trying to get a later dart throw rookie pick thrown back. If Perine shows some RB2 level production this year we could see Washington trade him next year or plan a weekly role for him in 2019 to help keep Guice healthy/fresh.

dipANDglide
All Pro
All Pro

Postby dipANDglide » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:51 pm

DynoScout wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:43 pm I expect Perine to show pretty well this year. He (should have) learned some tough lessons last year about his game/ability relative to NFL competition. Guice is the favorite to start W1 2019, so his dynasty value is an interesting case. In theory he should be worth the most to a Guice owner who just lost a projected starter, but I think he has stand alone 2018 value for contenders. I'm not enamored with the 2019 rookie class, so I'd trade a (late/contender) 2 for him while maybe trying to get a later dart throw rookie pick thrown back. If Perine shows some RB2 level production this year we could see Washington trade him next year or plan a weekly role for him in 2019 to help keep Guice healthy/fresh.
I wouldn’t do that right now. If Washington brings in a strong FA or makes a trade you likely just wasted a 2nd. I would sit tight and wait for the situation to clear up before investing any meaningful capital.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:24 pm

I don't post as much or as often as I used to...from my view the value of late future seconds has become untenable. I'll take a chance on the young guy who can score points this year, potentially start for me during bye weeks/plus matchups, and gladly watch the second round from the sidelines next spring after another playoff run.
Chances are that late second will be used on a QB/TE that needs three years in the oven or some unknown 2019 day 3 RB/WR who is no better bet than Perine.

That said I absolutely co-sign waiting to make moves until you have to, that's good business practice.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:29 pm

Let's say Washington does find a RB that does admirably well this season, be it Perine or someone else. The real question is would that RB cut into Guice's workload in year 2?

edit: Sorry, can't leave this comment here with a straight face. I'm clearly bamboozling.