Preseason week 1

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: Preseason week 1

Postby MEuRaH » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:15 am

Phaded wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 amYou cannot draw anything and I mean anything meaningful from week one of the preseason.
This is an absolute. Absolutes are rarely 100% accurate. How about Lynch (QB Broncos) sucking bleep?
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:33 am

Lynch is a third-year player who is already believed to be bad - whether or not this game happened.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:39 am

MEuRaH wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:15 am
Phaded wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 amYou cannot draw anything and I mean anything meaningful from week one of the preseason.
This is an absolute. Absolutes are rarely 100% accurate. How about Lynch (QB Broncos) sucking bleep?
How about that Washington's backfield is now a probably going to be a full blown committee?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:45 am

MEuRaH wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:42 am
Nick Chubb is exactly what I expected. He'll run and get what's given to him and that's it. Doesn't catch. Doesn't wiggle. Vision isn't there other than where his blocking is supposed to be. Not impressive, swing and a miss imo.... although he did pass block very well. Maybe the dude should be moved to fullback. :P
Doesn't catch and doesn't wiggle? Please watch 3:05 of the video. Also, he had 26 yards after contact despite only gaining a total of 11 yards.......The line he ran behind was absolutely garbage. He was contacted behind the line of scrimmage on 75% of his runs. Ill admit he didn't look great, but Jim Brown in his prime would't have either behind that line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEyJkY-nd1s

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:50 am

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/08/11/p ... reactions/

https://gazette.com/sports/woody-paige- ... e5887.html

Denver writers & fans takes on Paxton Lynch pre-season performance #1

I still own 1 share sadly :(
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:53 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:39 am
How about that Washington's backfield is now a probably going to be a full blown committee?
Okay fine - injuries are the only thing you can draw a conclusion from.
Technicalities.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:56 am

Phaded wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:53 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:39 am
Okay fine - injuries are the only thing you can draw a conclusion from.
Technicalities.
I found that Kerryon Johnson was a man amongst boys vs the Raiders future cuts, LOL. Just having fun, with ya.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:59 am

I was already a Kerryon believer before, but this day really upped my love for him. Dude did exactly what I expected and then some: He waited patiently for his blocks and he made defenders miss in a phone booth. His ability to catch is good, and he was able to get speed in the open field as well. Super impressed. My only concern with KJ is injury-related. He fell down on his shoulder a number of times, and once hard on his tailbone. There's a right way and a wrong way to fall to the turf and KJ is doing it the wrong way. Very concerning, but the talent is definitely legit. Not as impressive as Barkley, but easily the 2nd most-impressive rookie RB of week 1.

I've been (arguably) the biggest Rashaad Penny hater on these forums, but I'm going to dial it back a bit. I didn't think his shiftiness was good enough for the NFL level, and I was proven wrong a few times. He made people miss and then had the speed to outrun them to the edge a number of times. Once is a fluke, but I think he did it 4 times? OK fine, I was wrong. He has a wiggle and it's pretty decent. His hands also look good too. Best hands of any RB I saw. Props to him there too. He still can't read his blocks precisely, and his vision is still suspect at times. He had a chance to bounce left outside on a play with zero defenders but instead chose to take the inside route (outside the tackle) and got punished for doing it. He didn't run inside much, so that was concerning. He kept wanting to bounce outside and outrun people. Gotta see more on this guy. Oh, and the Seahawks O-line is as bad as I thought it was. Fullback was useless. It's gonna be a long season for Penny & Wilson. Chris Carson, meanwhile, ran with the 1s and didn't disappoint. He followed his blocks, he made people miss, and had the power to push the pile. He looked like a starter, not a stud. I easily see Penny spelling him on 3rd downs to start the season. I'll admit it though..... Penny could be a decent starter someday.
Nice write-up on all the players. I'm actually bit surprised there isn't more hype for your boy, I mean you could make the argument that turd sandwich looked the best out of any rookie rb (saquon included) week 1. I agree somewhat with the injury concern, he looks very leggy, as if running like a baby giraffe or something.

As for Penny, I don't think he had bad vision per say, I think he was just trying to do too much at times... similar to DJ's first preseason game. He'll learn to start taking whats there instead of trying to cut across the field all the time. I was actually quite impressed by his movement, it looked good in college but everyone (including me) wondered how it would look against NFL defenders.

The ability to break an admittedly weak arm tackle, juke what I assume to be a quicker/faster defender, and still get the edge and turn up field at speed at his size is impressive to me.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:01 am

MEuRaH wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 am
Cowboysfan33 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:42 amI’m hoping you’re wrong on this one but they’ve been moving Beasley and Tavon Austin around a lot in training camp so they are talking like they will move the WRs around more this season. I think it’s more about Gallup being a rookie and learning the playbook than anything but we’ll see, I agree that was an easy TD but it’s not Gallup’s fault that Jimmy Ward sucks 😂
I already covered this in my follow up post. The outside WRs do post & go routes. The slot WRs & TEs do crossing patterns. Beasley & Austin are slot WRs, Gallup is the X or Z. Nothing you said disagreed with anything I said.
I gotcha, I didn’t read the follow up post initially. I just knew they have been playing Beasley and Austin some on the outside, we’ll see if they get creative, I feel like the coaching staff has to, it’s still way early.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:08 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:59 am

I was already a Kerryon believer before, but this day really upped my love for him. Dude did exactly what I expected and then some: He waited patiently for his blocks and he made defenders miss in a phone booth. His ability to catch is good, and he was able to get speed in the open field as well. Super impressed. My only concern with KJ is injury-related. He fell down on his shoulder a number of times, and once hard on his tailbone. There's a right way and a wrong way to fall to the turf and KJ is doing it the wrong way. Very concerning, but the talent is definitely legit. Not as impressive as Barkley, but easily the 2nd most-impressive rookie RB of week 1.

I've been (arguably) the biggest Rashaad Penny hater on these forums, but I'm going to dial it back a bit. I didn't think his shiftiness was good enough for the NFL level, and I was proven wrong a few times. He made people miss and then had the speed to outrun them to the edge a number of times. Once is a fluke, but I think he did it 4 times? OK fine, I was wrong. He has a wiggle and it's pretty decent. His hands also look good too. Best hands of any RB I saw. Props to him there too. He still can't read his blocks precisely, and his vision is still suspect at times. He had a chance to bounce left outside on a play with zero defenders but instead chose to take the inside route (outside the tackle) and got punished for doing it. He didn't run inside much, so that was concerning. He kept wanting to bounce outside and outrun people. Gotta see more on this guy. Oh, and the Seahawks O-line is as bad as I thought it was. Fullback was useless. It's gonna be a long season for Penny & Wilson. Chris Carson, meanwhile, ran with the 1s and didn't disappoint. He followed his blocks, he made people miss, and had the power to push the pile. He looked like a starter, not a stud. I easily see Penny spelling him on 3rd downs to start the season. I'll admit it though..... Penny could be a decent starter someday.
Nice write-up on all the players. I'm actually bit surprised there isn't more hype for your boy, I mean you could make the argument that turd sandwich looked the best out of any rookie rb (saquon included) week 1. I agree somewhat with the injury concern, he looks very leggy, as if running like a baby giraffe or something.

As for Penny, I don't think he had bad vision per say, I think he was just trying to do too much at times... similar to DJ's first preseason game. He'll learn to start taking whats there instead of trying to cut across the field all the time. I was actually quite impressed by his movement, it looked good in college but everyone (including me) wondered how it would look against NFL defenders.

The ability to break an admittedly weak arm tackle, juke what I assume to be a quicker/faster defender, and still get the edge and turn up field at speed at his size is impressive to me.
Kerryon was playing against a bunch of guys who will be cut, or fringe roster players, so it's not surprising. If he didn't look good against them, you'd need to be worried. I think he will get a lot of early down work, but 3rd down work with Riddick and Abdullah looking good catching the ball might be tough. As for Penny, had he gotten the handoff Carson did on that 12 yard run with a lane you could drive a truck through, I think he would have picked up similar yardage. I thought Penny's vision was fine, I think he didn't believe he could get to the edge on that run Meureh was referencing, not that he didn't see it. Small sample size, but he confirmed what I saw in him, and I think he's a good starter in the making. I loved the play where he got 3 yards and got tackled out of bounds on the left side. He made a guy miss 1 on 1 to gain all those yards with a nice stop and go move. The run you showed above was good in so many ways.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:49 am

titans44 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:45 am
Nick Chubb is exactly what I expected. He'll run and get what's given to him and that's it. Doesn't catch. Doesn't wiggle. Vision isn't there other than where his blocking is supposed to be. Not impressive, swing and a miss imo.... although he did pass block very well. Maybe the dude should be moved to fullback. :P
Doesn't catch and doesn't wiggle? Please watch 3:05 of the video. Also, he had 26 yards after contact despite only gaining a total of 11 yards.......The line he ran behind was absolutely garbage. He was contacted behind the line of scrimmage on 75% of his runs. Ill admit he didn't look great, but Jim Brown in his prime would't have either behind that line.

The wiggle comment was supposed to be tied to his running ability at the line. That move he made after the catch was indeed nice, but it’s also open field so it’s easier. Show me video of him making guys miss at the line like Barkley, KJ, and even Penny did, and I’ll be a believer.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:36 pm

MEuRaH wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:49 am
titans44 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:45 am

The wiggle comment was supposed to be tied to his running ability at the line. That move he made after the catch was indeed nice, but it’s also open field so it’s easier. Show me video of him making guys miss at the line like Barkley, KJ, and even Penny did, and I’ll be a believer.
KJ was difficult for me to analyze, because he was playing in the 2nd half, and he should be doing that against that type of talent.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:39 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:50 am https://www.denverpost.com/2018/08/11/p ... reactions/

https://gazette.com/sports/woody-paige- ... e5887.html

Denver writers & fans takes on Paxton Lynch pre-season performance #1

I still own 1 share sadly :(
LOL, that crayon GIF cracked me up. :lol:

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:29 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:36 pmKJ was difficult for me to analyze, because he was playing in the 2nd half, and he should be doing that against that type of talent.
I don't know why you keep saying this. KJ's first game action was in the 1st quarter. He was playing against mostly starting defenders still.

3rd & 20 at DET 31
(4:41 - 1st) (Shotgun) K.Johnson up the middle to DET 43 for 12 yards (R.Nelson, D.Worley).
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:35 pm

MEuRaH wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:29 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:36 pmKJ was difficult for me to analyze, because he was playing in the 2nd half, and he should be doing that against that type of talent.
I don't know why you keep saying this. KJ's first game action was in the 1st quarter. He was playing against mostly starting defenders still.

3rd & 20 at DET 31
(4:41 - 1st) (Shotgun) K.Johnson up the middle to DET 43 for 12 yards (R.Nelson, D.Worley).
I watched the entire game, I'm well aware. It was 3rd and 20 and the Raiders were prepared to give up yards on the draw, not much to discern from that. It IS a good thing that he looked good against the Raiders back ups, but I want to see more action against starters, that's all.