Anybody Who Doesn't Get Anthony Miller Will Be Missing Out On The Greatest/Cheapest WR In Years

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: Anybody Who Doesn't Get Anthony Miller Will Be Missing Out On The Greatest/Cheapest WR In Years

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 pm

The hype has caught up with him; he's now priced at his upside. I like Anthony Miller, but he's still a 23 year old rookie fighting Allen Robinson for targets thrown by Mitchell Trubisky.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

jdomer2403
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Anybody Who Doesn't Get Anthony Miller Will Be Missing Out On The Greatest/Cheapest WR In Years

Postby jdomer2403 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:26 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 pm The hype has caught up with him; he's now priced at his upside. I like Anthony Miller, but he's still a 23 year old rookie fighting Allen Robinson for targets thrown by Mitchell Trubisky.
Unfortunately I agree. Unless Trubisky takes the next step, miller is gonna be in a tough spot. Talent is undeniable tho. Huge hands.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:41 pm

jdomer2403 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:26 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 pm The hype has caught up with him; he's now priced at his upside. I like Anthony Miller, but he's still a 23 year old rookie fighting Allen Robinson for targets thrown by Mitchell Trubisky.
Unfortunately I agree. Unless Trubisky takes the next step, miller is gonna be in a tough spot. Talent is undeniable tho. Huge hands.
I don't think the Bears are going to be good at all on offense, personally. This whole "this years Rams" thing is a a joke, to me. I think they'll be better than last year, but that is not saying a lot. I don't think Miller will get the targets necessary to be very relevant in FF this year.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

crisdecamposmd
Rookie
Rookie

Postby crisdecamposmd » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:53 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:37 am I selected him at 2.2 in a 12-teamer. I'm ecstatic. I also owned 2.4 and 2.5. I probably could have gotten him at 2.4/2.5, but I'm so infatuated with "Ant" that I couldn't risk it. I would've been devastated if he was snatched from me at 2.3.

I have avoided saying anything about Miller on these forums until now, because a few of my league-mates know my alias here.

Anthony Miller has been my WR1 of this class since May. Come at me, bro. Every OTA and TC report since has continually reaffirmed my assessment. If Trubisky turns out to be decent enough to feed his receivers reliably, watch out.

Don't think Miller is just a slot guy. I mean, he's great there. But he's making plays and getting separation on the outside, too. Which is no surprise to those of us who really studied his Memphis tape.

Miller has almost everything I prioritize looking for in a WR. Advanced route-craft and release technique, work ethic, play-strength (22 bench reps!), contested ability, agility score. Even his catch-radius is good despite his height, because his arms are a fair length and his hands are enormous. And he can win jump-balls with his elite vert jump and hand-strength. Focus drops are my one major criticism of the tape, but he seems to have already corrected this issue.

LOL. Right there with you bro! I drafted him in round 3 a week after the draft (Saquon, Gallup, Miller)... And I couldn't believe he made it to me. In retrospect I would have taken him before Gallup, but at the time it just seemed like so many targets were wide open for the taking in Dallas (I have Jarwin too). But to your point, I was quiet as a church mouse before getting him but now lobby my friends to pick him up in their other redraft leagues. He's like a mix of Steve Smith, AB, and OBJ. Can't. Freakin. Wait.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:50 am

We can remove the term ‘cheap’ from the equation now, as the hype is starting to get out of control (‘mix of Steve Smith, AB, and OBJ’ as an example of where we are at’). An echo chamber of people listening to themselves and others, with many removing any of the negatives from the equation.

As excited as people want to get, this offense is completely unproven, with a lot of new pieces, an unproven QB, and the player himself needs Year 1 performance otherwise he is a guy about to turn 25 who hasn’t proven anything. If he does, he’s Cooper Kupp of right now, which puts him maybe in the low WR2 ranks? Add that the 2019 draft class is mostly built on WRs, and his value ceiling seems capped. Can he outproduce Kupp? Sure, but that’s a long shot itself. This offense is unlikely to be the Rams offense, regardless of how much people want to forecast that type of breakout to make all of these pieces happens at the prices they are going at.

I think there is a reason to be excited by Miller, but the excitement piece (price) is rising, reducing the value benefit that got so many excited. There is more risk here than people are bringing in. Give me DJ Moore and Sutton easily ahead of him. Kirk and Ridley you can debate, but just give me who is the cheapest, not the most hyped at that particular moment.

Also enjoying the number of people coming out of the darkness pumping this guy without a peep prior to the hype. Good entertainment. Take future ranking discussions with a huge grain of salt, as it’s all cloak and daggers apparently.

Ka Boom!
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Ka Boom! » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:30 pm

I have Miller in 4/10 dynasty leagues. In one of them I took him at 1.09. WR#1 overall. I know DJ Moore is a better prospect but I'm a Bears homer and went with my guy. :thumbup:

In the other 3 leagues the price I paid was much more reasonable. 11th round of a startup after Moore, Kirk, Sutton, Ridley and Sutton were selected. Traded Tyrod Taylor in superflex straight up for Miller earlier this offseason. Final trade was Jimmy G and devy depleted 2019 1st & 3rd round cash for Trubisky and Miller. :whistle:
Combination of highest owned & most important players across 10 dynasty leagues:
DJ - 8/10
Trubisky - 8/10 incl 7/8 Superflex/2QB
Reed - 6/10
Gurley - 4/10
Zeke - 3/10
AJG - 3/10
Other 3/10 - DT, J Gordon, Graham, Olsen
2/10 - AB, Julio, Corey Davis, M Gordon, Howard, Michel, Ertz, Rudolph, Mariota
Mack & ASJ 5/10, Anthony Miller & E Sanders 4/10. Luck in 14 team superflex. :D

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:34 pm

crisdecamposmd wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:53 pm
ninotoreS wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:37 am I selected him at 2.2 in a 12-teamer. I'm ecstatic. I also owned 2.4 and 2.5. I probably could have gotten him at 2.4/2.5, but I'm so infatuated with "Ant" that I couldn't risk it. I would've been devastated if he was snatched from me at 2.3.

I have avoided saying anything about Miller on these forums until now, because a few of my league-mates know my alias here.

Anthony Miller has been my WR1 of this class since May. Come at me, bro. Every OTA and TC report since has continually reaffirmed my assessment. If Trubisky turns out to be decent enough to feed his receivers reliably, watch out.

Don't think Miller is just a slot guy. I mean, he's great there. But he's making plays and getting separation on the outside, too. Which is no surprise to those of us who really studied his Memphis tape.

Miller has almost everything I prioritize looking for in a WR. Advanced route-craft and release technique, work ethic, play-strength (22 bench reps!), contested ability, agility score. Even his catch-radius is good despite his height, because his arms are a fair length and his hands are enormous. And he can win jump-balls with his elite vert jump and hand-strength. Focus drops are my one major criticism of the tape, but he seems to have already corrected this issue.

LOL. Right there with you bro! I drafted him in round 3 a week after the draft (Saquon, Gallup, Miller)... And I couldn't believe he made it to me. In retrospect I would have taken him before Gallup, but at the time it just seemed like so many targets were wide open for the taking in Dallas (I have Jarwin too). But to your point, I was quiet as a church mouse before getting him but now lobby my friends to pick him up in their other redraft leagues. He's like a mix of Steve Smith, AB, and OBJ. Can't. Freakin. Wait.
No he isn't. The chances he comes even close to the production of any of these 3 is extremely low.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:31 am

How did Miller look in this weeks pre-season action?
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:22 am

Reading way too many age concerns for 23 year olds that could only drink legally 2 years ago.

Frankly it's friggen crazy talk. The fact a player has a bit more maturity is an asset. If a player in fantasy can produce for 5-7 years consider it a huge win. Once in a while they turn in HOF candidates but it is talent based not because they were entered the league at 21-23 years old.

Nonsensical arguments a rookie is too old or even a concern at 23 is a completely misplaced priority.

Brown is 30 and put up 1555 yards
Jones is 29 and put up 1444 yards
Fitz is 34 and put up 1156 yards
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:23 am

I am not concerned about his age persay for his NFL prospects - but his age makes a big difference at the college level. He should dominate the younger guys. I remember age was a big red flag for Kevin White.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:35 am

Age is also highly relevant in terms of dynasty value. If he’s 25 and has one season of 650 yards to show for it, he is going to be worth less than a guy who is 22/23 and did that. It is a simple reality of dynasty trade markets. Your window is shorter and trade market smaller.

If Miller is legit in the mold of Cooper Kupp, nobody will care, but it is a risk of note that decreases value as an unproven rookie asset. It doesn’t change him as a player, and by all means you shouldn’t draft guys just with the mindset of moving them and not believing in them, but it does change the market and player value from a dynasty perspective.

tombonneau
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby tombonneau » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:31 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:31 am How did Miller look in this weeks pre-season action?
Had one sick catch over two DBs and another play a pretty nice stiff arm in the open field.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:41 pm

tombonneau wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:31 pm
ArrylT wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:31 am How did Miller look in this weeks pre-season action?
Had one sick catch over two DBs and another play a pretty nice stiff arm in the open field.
That was a good catch, also pretty impressed with Trubs placement. It was either Miller's or going out

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:23 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:35 am Age is also highly relevant in terms of dynasty value. If he’s 25 and has one season of 650 yards to show for it, he is going to be worth less than a guy who is 22/23 and did that. It is a simple reality of dynasty trade markets. Your window is shorter and trade market smaller.
'Old' and polished or 'young' and raw. If the former hits the NFL running and is a fantasy difference-maker immediately, he's worth more at that point than the young and raw guy that's still incubating.

It goes without saying that a polished, instant impact 21 year old rookie is the blue chip everyone values most. But there doesn't appear to be one of those in this year's class. And if there were, he'd probably require a top 3 pick, of course.

Regardless, look at the rest of this class. Sutton will be 23 in October. Ridley's as old Miller. Recent riser Dante Pettis is almost 23. DJ Moore is the only true young guy at the top of my WR board this year, and he's raw enough that I'm not daring to hope he'll be a fantasy difference-maker until year 2 or 3 of his career. I'll take the Cooper Kupps over the DJ Moores every time, and ask for seconds.
AussieMate wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:41 pm
tombonneau wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:31 pm
That was a good catch, also pretty impressed with Trubs placement. It was either Miller's or going out
I think Trub shouldn't have even attempted that target, but as a Miller fanboy, I'm glad he did.

And the stiff arm showed off Miller's exceptional play-strength for his size. People don't talk enough about how Miller added 10lbs of muscle between his bowl game and the Combine. That's work ethic, folks.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:55 pm

You know whats better than "old and polished" and "young and raw" is: "young and polished"....

aka DJ Moore.