Anybody Who Doesn't Get Anthony Miller Will Be Missing Out On The Greatest/Cheapest WR In Years

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
zeeshan2
Captain
Captain

Re: Anybody Who Doesn't Get Anthony Miller Will Be Missing Out On The Greatest/Cheapest WR In Years

Postby zeeshan2 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:55 am

Normie Tweeter@sandreamy

Initially scoffed at @evansilva implying anthony miller could potentially lead this team in targets, but after three weeks of practices it doesn’t sound too far fetched. He’s looked unreal

9:42 AM - Aug 6, 2018

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Anybody Who Doesn't Get Anthony Miller Will Be Missing Out On The Greatest/Cheapest WR In Years

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:20 pm

I'm a sucker for any WR that excels at route running, creating separation and understanding detail of the position. Overall, I don't like this year's WR class but Miller is a player that I probably overlooked. He looks like he could be a steal.

I do disagree though about Miller's fantasy relevance this season. Barring a Sean McVay/Jared Goff turnaround for the Bears, I don't think they can keep a lot of players relevant next season. You have to bet big on Trubisky to believe otherwise. Robinson is clearly the guy there. I think Cohen would be next up given his versatility. Everyone else could be inconsistent week-to-week.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:48 pm

MEuRaH wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:44 am
dynastyninja wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:45 amI had an early 2nd that I was thinking about Miller with, so I dove into the tape. I came away thinking he was a fine receiver, but not one I really cared to invest in.
I'm so confused. The guy catches anything near him and can change directions on a dime.

You're gonna miss out on this guy and come back to this post/thread kicking yourself...
Not everybody sees it your way. I see him as a fine WR, but I'm not looking to acquire him either, although I never had picks in the range he was going in. It's not like it's an absolute that he will be a difference maker in FF. I mean, he might end up being decent, but not a great contributor, like the CJ Anderson of WR's. :wink:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:24 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:50 am
dynastyninja wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:45 am I had an early 2nd that I was thinking about Miller with, so I dove into the tape. I came away thinking he was a fine receiver, but not one I really cared to invest in. He deserves a role in the NFL, but I can't get on board with the hype here. He's not going to be special, and the WR1 valuations I'm seeing in this topic already are absurd. He's not the best receiver on his team, and I'm not confident in Trubisky being a noteworthy long-term asset (NFL or fantasy).

Interestingly enough, I see Miller and Trubisky in a similar light. I've had the opportunity to acquire both of them, so I dove into the tape and decided I didn't think either one of them was really worth buying into. They're both just average to me. I started out really liking both of them, too.

I'm fine with people having him as their top WR in this class just because it seems like a relatively weak class at first glance, but let's not get carried away. Miller could have a few good years if the targets are there (hence his early 2nd price tag), but I don't think he's near as good as he's being portrayed here.
I think this was a major factor. I think wr2 is far more likely. Part of the equation for me was who can boost their value fastest and from the looks of it, it has already happened.

I'm hoping for a good first year and I'll likely look to cash out high.
I'm fine with the tactic, but he seems low enough on the totem pole to produce enough. If that's your goal, Gallup seems a better bet. Whatever you think of his talent, his opportunity could easily drive his production, which, combined 2with his youth, will really jack his value.

I'd like Miller so much more if he was in NE, for instance.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:51 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:48 pmhe might end up being decent, but not a great contributor, like the CJ Anderson of WR's. :wink:
You big jerk.
Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:24 pmI'd like Miller so much more if he was in NE, for instance.
OBJ has had Eli Manning tossing him the ball.

AJ Green had Dalton.

Hopkins has had Matt Schaub (8 games) Case Keenum (10) Ryan Fitzpatrick (12) Ryan Mallett (6) Brian Hoyer (9) T. J. Yates (5) Brandon Weeden (1) Brock Osweiler (14) Tom Savage (9). Watson only 6 games.

Tyreek Hill? Alex Smith!

Allen Robinson? Blake Effing Bortles!

Jarvis Landry? The Great Ryan Tannehill!

Josh Gordon that 1 year? Many much scrubs!

QB doesn't really matter if you are talented.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:21 pm

MEuRaH wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:51 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:48 pmhe might end up being decent, but not a great contributor, like the CJ Anderson of WR's. :wink:
You big jerk.
Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:24 pmI'd like Miller so much more if he was in NE, for instance.

AJ Green had Dalton.

Hopkins has had Matt Schaub (8 games) Case Keenum (10) Ryan Fitzpatrick (12) Ryan Mallett (6) Brian Hoyer (9) T. J. Yates (5) Brandon Weeden (1) Brock Osweiler (14) Tom Savage (9). Watson only 6 games.

Tyreek Hill? Alex Smith!

Haha, don't take it seriously. I admired your verve with the subject.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:47 am

MEuRaH wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:51 pm
You big jerk.

AJ Green had Dalton.

Tyreek Hill? Alex Smith!

My issue with Miller isn't the QB. Just think NE would've found a way to use him a well. That production, and the hype about being Edelman's heir, would've created a great sell opportunity.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:14 am

i may be in position to draft miller or godwin for my next pick.

if it turns out that way i'm going godwin.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:37 am

I selected him at 2.2 in a 12-teamer. I'm ecstatic. I also owned 2.4 and 2.5. I probably could have gotten him at 2.4/2.5, but I'm so infatuated with "Ant" that I couldn't risk it. I would've been devastated if he was snatched from me at 2.3.

I have avoided saying anything about Miller on these forums until now, because a few of my league-mates know my alias here.

Anthony Miller has been my WR1 of this class since May. Come at me, bro. Every OTA and TC report since has continually reaffirmed my assessment. If Trubisky turns out to be decent enough to feed his receivers reliably, watch out.

Don't think Miller is just a slot guy. I mean, he's great there. But he's making plays and getting separation on the outside, too. Which is no surprise to those of us who really studied his Memphis tape.

Miller has almost everything I prioritize looking for in a WR. Advanced route-craft and release technique, work ethic, play-strength (22 bench reps!), contested ability, agility score. Even his catch-radius is good despite his height, because his arms are a fair length and his hands are enormous. And he can win jump-balls with his elite vert jump and hand-strength. Focus drops are my one major criticism of the tape, but he seems to have already corrected this issue.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:43 am

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:37 am I selected him at 2.2 in a 12-teamer. I'm ecstatic. I also owned 2.4 and 2.5. I probably could have gotten him at 2.4/2.5, but I'm so infatuated with "Ant" that I couldn't risk it. I would've been devastated if he was snatched from me at 2.3.

I have avoided saying anything about Miller on these forums until now, because a few of my league-mates know my alias here.

Anthony Miller has been my WR1 of this class since May. Come at me, bro. Every OTA and TC report since has continually reaffirmed my assessment. If Trubisky turns out to be decent enough to feed his receivers reliably, watch out.

Don't think Miller is just a slot guy. I mean, he's great there. But he's making plays and getting separation on the outside, too. Which is no surprise to those of us who really studied his Memphis tape.

Miller has almost everything I prioritize looking for in a WR. Advanced route-craft and release technique, work ethic, play-strength (22 bench reps!), contested ability, agility score. Even his catch-radius is good despite his height, because his arms are a fair length and his hands are enormous. And he can win jump-balls with his elite vert jump and hand-strength. Focus drops are my one major criticism of the tape, but he seems to have already corrected this issue.
:lol:

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:01 am

It's interesting that so many people completely discount Calvin Ridley because of his age but ignore it for Miller, when they are essentially the same age.

It's actually a bit worse for Miller too because at least Ridley broke out as a freshman, he just started school late. Miller still took another year despite starting school at the age of most juniors/seniors. 17th percentile breakout age for Miller is overlooked but 44th percentile for Ridley is a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

At the same age Miller broke out and was dominating AAC cornerbacks, Odell Beckham was already in the NFL dominating NFL corners.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:44 am

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:37 amMiller has almost everything I prioritize looking for in a WR. Advanced route-craft and release technique, work ethic, play-strength (22 bench reps!), contested ability, agility score. Even his catch-radius is good despite his height, because his arms are a fair length and his hands are enormous. And he can win jump-balls with his elite vert jump and hand-strength. Focus drops are my one major criticism of the tape, but he seems to have already corrected this issue.
Well said, couldn't agree more.
Vcize wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:01 amIt's interesting that so many people completely discount Calvin Ridley because of his age but ignore it for Miller, when they are essentially the same age.

It's actually a bit worse for Miller too because at least Ridley broke out as a freshman, he just started school late. Miller still took another year despite starting school at the age of most juniors/seniors. 17th percentile breakout age for Miller is overlooked but 44th percentile for Ridley is a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

At the same age Miller broke out and was dominating AAC cornerbacks, Odell Beckham was already in the NFL dominating NFL corners.
I don't know what you're referencing, but I'll reply.

Ridley has great size & speed. He is scary good with the ball in his hands. His specialties include deep passes, go route, post routes, jump balls and cross patterns. I see the same exact things in Miller. What I don't see in Ridley is quickness & precision route running, and those two qualities I do see in Miller. So that's why for me, Miller > Ridley. Ridley was also drafted to a team that already has a superstar in Julio Jones. Miller is sitting behind ARob, but I think ARob is a huge bust so that makes me even higher on Miller.

I really do like Ridley, but the price is too high. I think I can wait on him season one, let his value shrink a little, and then make the trade to acquire him. Also, for as long as Julio sticks around, Ridley will never generate the type of numbers we want to see from him. Julio is signed through the 2020 season.

The point of this thread was to turn attention to a possible GREAT WR that can be had for just a 2nd rounder. Ridley is a 1st, so it doesn't apply.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Vcize wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:01 am It's interesting that so many people completely discount Calvin Ridley because of his age but ignore it for Miller, when they are essentially the same age.
Non sequitur fallacy here.

I don't discount his age. It's not ideal. Neither is Ridley's.

But how many people missed on Kupp last year because they worried too much about age? Besides, it's not as if Miller's profile had a clone in this draft that was 21 instead of 23, whom we could all prefer over Miller.

Anyway, your fallacy is that Ridley and Miller are not comparable in overall profile, and yet you couch your point as if his supporters unanimously believe they are. Ridley has weak play-strength, and that might forever limit him in the NFL. He struggles with press, and can be bumped off his route schedule if DBs get their hands on him. You also can't trust Ridley to win when contested or contacted (his tendency to drop passes when anticipating a hit has continued into TC, btw), his hand-strength is weak, he doesn't have Miller's catch-radius, explosion, or agility score.

Ridley has very advanced craft and separation ability against zone and off man coverage. And that, along with starring for Bama and having a low 4.4 range tested 40, got him picked in the 1st round by a team that had specific need for those traits in a complementary WR. But I posit that Anthony Miller is a far more pro-ready wide-receiver in numerous aspects. Ant isn't Calvin Ridley.

Miller is difficult to find a neat comparison for. His supporters tend to default to Antonio Brown or Beckham, but I think that's lazy (and wrong). Put a gun to my head, and I'll say Anthony Miller is a slower Steve Smith Sr. with a better catch-radius and Chad Johnson's feet (or an imitation of them).

Speaking of, Chad Johnson was a 23 year old rookie, too. Didn't prevent six Pro Bowls and four All-Pro selections.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:50 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:40 pm
Vcize wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:01 am It's interesting that so many people completely discount Calvin Ridley because of his age but ignore it for Miller, when they are essentially the same age.
Non sequitur fallacy here.

I don't discount his age. It's not ideal. Neither is Ridley's.

But how many people missed on Kupp last year because they worried too much about age? Besides, it's not as if Miller's profile had a clone in this draft that was 21 instead of 23, whom we could all prefer over Miller.

Anyway, your fallacy is that Ridley and Miller are not comparable in overall profile, and yet you couch your point as if his supporters unanimously believe they are. Ridley has weak play-strength, and that might forever limit him in the NFL. He struggles with press, and can be bumped off his route schedule if DBs get their hands on him. You also can't trust Ridley to win when contested or contacted (his tendency to drop passes when anticipating a hit has continued into TC, btw), his hand-strength is weak, he doesn't have Miller's catch-radius, explosion, or agility score.

Ridley has very advanced craft and separation ability against zone and off man coverage. And that, along with starring for Bama and having a low 4.4 range tested 40, got him picked in the 1st round by a team that had specific need for those traits in a complementary WR. But I posit that Anthony Miller is a far more pro-ready wide-receiver in numerous aspects. Ant isn't Calvin Ridley.

Miller is difficult to find a neat comparison for. His supporters tend to default to Antonio Brown or Beckham, but I think that's lazy (and wrong). Put a gun to my head, and I'll say Anthony Miller is a slower Steve Smith Sr. with a better catch-radius and Chad Johnson's feet (or an imitation of them).

Speaking of, Chad Johnson was a 23 year old rookie, too. Didn't prevent six Pro Bowls and four All-Pro selections.
I did not intend to imply that someone cannot simultaneously dislike Ridley and like Miller. I just find it interesting that through 5 pages of a Calvin Ridley thread his age will have come up dozens of times, but through 5 pages of a Miller thread it is hardly mentioned, despite them both being essentially the same age.

Likewise, there are many in the Ridley threads who consider the age to be his biggest flaw and the largest reason to discount him, yet we do not see that mentioned nearly as often for Miller when that same flaw exists.

Again, not meant to target you specifically with this, as you clearly are able/willing to look beyond the age issue in both cases as some others are willing to do so only selectively.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Unicorn92
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Unicorn92 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:32 pm

I am not too high for my part on Miller. True he is old but so was Thomas in 2016. This is not the problem to me. First after the draft i was really hight on him and i wanted to draft him with my 2.01. That said more i though about the situation more i did not like. Firstwe do not know very much about this offense.Everybody seems to think this offense will be big.What will happen if this is not the case ? It is possible Trubisky will not be very good. I believe in him butthis year he could have some trouble that said. Then there is Robinson who is clearly the number one wr in the passing game. We do not know if this offense will be able to allow 2 productif wr. There are a lot of mouth to feud too after Robinson. Even if i have Trubisly and Burton i am still not sold on this offense till i see it to produce on the field. Miller should be a good wr2 buti doubt he will be a wr1. That is why i took Christian Kirk with my 2.01. The guy is not necessary better but should have a true opportunity to be the number one next year if Fitz retire.
I play in an idp dynasty keeper league 10 teams with 1 qb start in a ppr league 2 en 2 wr 1te 1 flex. This is a roster of 35 players and a ts of 5 players in mfl and this is a ppr league

Roster

QB: D. Jones, B. Mayfield
RB: S.Barkley, M.Breida, T. Cohen D.Johnson, J. Williams, B. Scarborough
WR: B.Cooks, C.Goodwin, K. Allen, T.Lockett, C. Kirk, M. Williams, D. Westbrook, A. Miller
TE: C. Herndon, R. Griffin, I. Thomas
K C.Boswell
DL M. Davenport, F. Clark, S. Hubbard,
LB M. D. Jones, L. Vander Esch, R. Evans, M. Milano, H. Landry, J. Baker
DB: B.Baker, J. Bates, J. Peppers

Practice squad: P. Williams, T. Rapp, C. Ferrell, E. Oliver, B. Cashman