Breida vs. Hogan

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Breida vs. Hogan

Postby Goddard » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:00 am

skip wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:55 am
Goddard wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:06 am I agree that Hogan has more value, but he's going to turn 30 in 2 months. If that's how long it takes someone to breakout, is he really going to breakout? In redraft, I'd take Hogan pretty easily. In dynasty, I think it's much closer than some are making it out to be.
I guess I look at it this way...

Hogan is the best WR on the Patriots. If all I get is a season or two of 80+ receptions and 1000+, that's more valuable to me than a guy like Breida who with 500-600 yards isn't ever going in my lineup.
And that's fine. If you're ok with taking a guy who might put up WR2/3 numbers for a year, then go for it. But even then I'm not convinced that will be the case. He'll be the best WR on that team for 4 games. After Edelman returns, I'm sure you'll agree that he'll be the WR1.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:06 am

Ice wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:54 am
Goddard wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:06 am I agree that Hogan has more value, but he's going to turn 30 in 2 months. If that's how long it takes someone to breakout, is he really going to breakout? In redraft, I'd take Hogan pretty easily. In dynasty, I think it's much closer than some are making it out to be.
Hogan was lighting up the fantasy world from the playoff in 2016 and the first 8 games of 2017 prior to injury putting up top 10 WR numbers and this was with Cooks in the line up in 17. He has very low miles on his tires so to speak given he started football late in life.

Of those top 10 over that period, 4 are older than him. I get some place huge value on age but 29 in WR's years is pretty young. He has 3 years IMO at least to play at a high level. The RB looks good but not sure he will ever get enough snaps to be more than a flex play.

Over those 11 games as not the #1 WR for the team he had 41 receptions 590 yards and 7 TD's. This type of numbers are significant and his personal situation looks better today. One could surmise pretty easily that NE was willing to move Cooks and not aggressively go after other WR's due to his knowledge of the offense and Brady, and his actual performance of the field.

I get some like Breida and he is not without skill but he is closer to a JAG in the situation he finds himself in IMO.
This is like when Ares tries to patch together Parker's stats over 2-3 years and makes it seem like he's a WR1. Again, he's been in the league 7 years, and that's the best he's done. But all of a sudden he's going to breakout and become the next great Patriot's WR? I like the guy and think he'll be serviceable, but people are making him sound like he's going to be a top 10 WR all year.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:21 am

I think those that are much higher on Hogan aren't expecting him to breakout - they see it as he already has then was set back by injury. He was a WR1 before his injury last year.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:34 am

Goddard wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:06 am
Hogan was lighting up the fantasy world from the playoff in 2016 and the first 8 games of 2017 prior to injury putting up top 10 WR numbers and this was with Cooks in the line up in 17. He has very low miles on his tires so to speak given he started football late in life.

Of those top 10 over that period, 4 are older than him. I get some place huge value on age but 29 in WR's years is pretty young. He has 3 years IMO at least to play at a high level. The RB looks good but not sure he will ever get enough snaps to be more than a flex play.

Over those 11 games as not the #1 WR for the team he had 41 receptions 590 yards and 7 TD's. This type of numbers are significant and his personal situation looks better today. One could surmise pretty easily that NE was willing to move Cooks and not aggressively go after other WR's due to his knowledge of the offense and Brady, and his actual performance of the field.

I get some like Breida and he is not without skill but he is closer to a JAG in the situation he finds himself in IMO.
This is like when Ares tries to patch together Parker's stats over 2-3 years and makes it seem like he's a WR1. Again, he's been in the league 7 years, and that's the best he's done. But all of a sudden he's going to breakout and become the next great Patriot's WR? I like the guy and think he'll be serviceable, but people are making him sound like he's going to be a top 10 WR all year.
Excuse me but that is a ridiculous.

First those were consecutive game stats, not some piecemeal as you infer.

Frankly I could care less if you agree or not but there is vast difference in stating the fact he was putting up top 10 actual numbers and mentioning he has breakout potential than comparing him to great WR's.

Personally, I would appreciate it if you would read what is written and comment on the facts without making up things.

That said the potential to put up significant fantasy football numbers is real based on his past performance and current situation. There is a chance he could track much like Kennan Allen to a degree who also picked up where he left off post injury. There is also a chance he doesn't but that doesn't mean the potential is not there.

We are comparing this player to Matt Friggen Breida here not Antonio Brown.

Hogan is #1 on the depth chart with Tom Brady, Breida is fighting to be the #1 back up.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:44 am

Ice wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:34 am

Frankly I could care less if you agree or not but there is vast difference in stating the fact he was putting up top 10 actual numbers and mentioning he has breakout potential than comparing him to great WR's.

Personally, I would appreciate it if you would read what is written and comment on the facts without making up things.

That said the potential to put up significant fantasy football numbers is real based on his past performance and current situation. There is a chance he could track much like Kennan Allen to a degree who also picked up where he left off post injury. There is also a chance he doesn't but that doesn't mean the potential is not there.

Hogan is #1 on the depth chart with Tom Brady, Breida is fighting to be the #1 back up.
Im with you on that ICE, Im at a loss for words lol

id say Philip Dorsett would be a better comparable player to Breida.

Hogan.........................................................Breida
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:00 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:34 am

You're clearly not reading or comprehending what I'm saying either. This is much less about Breida for me than it is about the expectations some have for Hogan. If you want to hitch your wagon to that horse and hope he wins you games, go for it. I already realize Breida isn't going to do that either.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:29 pm

I own upside players in my leagues and I own him in my best leagues. Doesn't mean he is even starter for me but I put his upside as equal to a player like Marquise Goodwin who finished top 16 the last half of the year and should be the #1 this year on his team. Hogan has more prototype #1 WR characteristics.

We disagree in that I actually think Hogan will help his owners win games averaging in the 13-15 point range which puts him in the 10- 21 range of all WR's based on 2017 stats. Hogan has plenty of long speed, elite route running and a nose for the end zone along with a great QB. There really is not much to not like about this player.

Its always about acquiring players that can help out a team.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:27 pm

Hogan is definitely right now .. Breida is more wait and see ..

I'd probably prefer Breida the way I usually build my teams ..
@PlankMelody

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:50 am

I'll take Hogan here, thought he gained Brady's trust in recent yrs and can be a wr2 and be in your starting line-up as oppossed to breida that will most likely sit on your bench like Bryce brown hoping that when he gets his chance he'll be star! I'm absolutely not a believer in McKinnon either but I don't think breida is going take over and be anything.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:54 am

Life of Pablo wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:37 am
Actually worse, he IS 30. Turns 31 in 2 months. I agree with what you said regardless.
MFL, ESPN and NFL.com all list him as 29. Wikipedia lists him as 30, but their source is just some random article from NorthJersey.com. I’m gonna trust the websites I’ve actually heard of on this one.

That said, even if he was 30, this is Hogan and it’s not remotely close.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0