No Win situation for Saquon?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

No Win situation for Saquon?

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:52 am

The guy is amazingly talented but I feel like we here in fantasy, and the real NFL have overly high expectations of him as a rookie and have put him in a bad spot. I feel like unless he has 1600 scrimmage yards and double digit Tds he is gonna be screwed, 1600 scrimmage yards is not easy for anyone so why does it seem like it is expected of him? God forbid he has "only" a Collins like season of 900 plus rushing yards and 7 tds, id love to see the reaction if that happens. His first game is also against Jacksonville, quite a welcome to the NFL. Do we really expect him to come out the gates like Kareem Hunt last season against THAT Jaguars defense. Im buying the hype to a degree but no way am I buying the hype to the degree we here and the NFL have bought into him. And again what happens if he doesn't break 1000 yards rushing this season? Do we label him a bust already? Just curious as to what you all think.

raiders444
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: No Win situation for Saquon?

Postby raiders444 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:59 am

I think the expectations are that he finishes somewhere around where Elliott and Fournette finished their rookie years. I believe both were top 10. Don't forget Barkley has little in the way of competition on the Giants for touches, and supposedly has great hands for the passing game. So if he stays healthy he should be a 3 down back and get 20+ touches per game. 320 touches at 4-5 yards per touch is 1200-1500 yards
Team 1 - 16 TEAM PPR - 1 QB / 2 RB / 3 WR / 1 TE / 1 D/ST / 1 K
QB: Lamar Jackson, Malik Willis, Sam Howell
RB: Saquon Barkley, Ken Walker, Michael Carter, Khalil Herbert, Keontay Ingram
WR: Chris Godwin, Christian Kirk, Josh Palmer, Terrace Marshall, Christian Watson, John Metchie, Mack Hollins
TE: Kyle Pitts, Chiggie Okonkwo
K: Justin Tucker
D/ST: Titans, Falcons

raiders444
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby raiders444 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:02 am

I'll go out on a limb here with a game 1 prediction- Giants fall behind early, Barkley gets a few screen pass catches as well as carries from earlier. Finishes with 60 yards rushing, 60 yards receiving on 7 catches, and a TD
Team 1 - 16 TEAM PPR - 1 QB / 2 RB / 3 WR / 1 TE / 1 D/ST / 1 K
QB: Lamar Jackson, Malik Willis, Sam Howell
RB: Saquon Barkley, Ken Walker, Michael Carter, Khalil Herbert, Keontay Ingram
WR: Chris Godwin, Christian Kirk, Josh Palmer, Terrace Marshall, Christian Watson, John Metchie, Mack Hollins
TE: Kyle Pitts, Chiggie Okonkwo
K: Justin Tucker
D/ST: Titans, Falcons

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:06 am

raiders444 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:02 am I'll go out on a limb here with a game 1 prediction- Giants fall behind early, Barkley gets a few screen pass catches as well as carries from earlier. Finishes with 60 yards rushing, 60 yards receiving on 7 catches, and a TD
I agree with most of this except the receiving part, the yards are a little high for me. Idk I could just see those Jacksonville guys saying "Lets welcome this rookie to the NFL" and just going all out on him. Its a new season but Jacksonville beat a far better offense in Pittsburgh last season, I could also see this game getting out of hand early for the Giants and barkely getting somewhat abandoned.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 am

I've brought this exact thing up previously and it isn't on Barkley. The fault is with his owners. For them to have been willing to put in the investment they have (or declined the big paydays by moving him), they have to get that production in year one. Barkley will not produce as well as Elliott or Hunt and his owners will all be questioning their investment.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 am

raiders444 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:59 am I think the expectations are that he finishes somewhere around where Elliott and Fournette finished their rookie years. I believe both were top 10.
FWIW there was a MASSIVE disparity between the way Zeke and Fournette finished their rookie years. Zeke scored 327 PPR points and was RB2 only behind DJ who had a historically great season. Fournette was RB9 and scored 212 points in PPR.

I think the Barkley expectations are far more in line with what Zeke did which is not really based in reality :thumbup:
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:39 am

skip wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 am I've brought this exact thing up previously and it isn't on Barkley. The fault is with his owners. For them to have been willing to put in the investment they have (or declined the big paydays by moving him), they have to get that production in year one. Barkley will not produce as well as Elliott or Hunt and his owners will all be questioning their investment.
I agree that this to an extent and also quite frankly feel that a lot of the setup for failure is projected on his owners by the community. It seems there are a lot of people projecting expectations upon those who own the 1st/Barkley and putting proverbial "words in their mouths" as much as there is actual unrealistic expectations by owners with Barkley fever. I have a lot of friends in this community who own Barkley and I have a couple shares myself, as I've moved one when it made sense. My overall perception of expectations for Barkley by those owners is that he will have a successful career more so than a superstar Elliot like rookie year, and the former is the source of excitement and the reason he's held in high regard, not the later.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:48 am

GridironGuerilla wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:39 am My overall perception of expectations for Barkley by those owners is that he will have a successful career more so than a superstar Elliot like rookie year, and the former is the source of excitement and the reason he's held in high regard, not the later.
I don't get this impression at all. He's getting drafted in the top 5 of start-ups. That doesn't suggest owners will be fine without a stellar rookie season.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:58 am

skip wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 am I've brought this exact thing up previously and it isn't on Barkley. The fault is with his owners. For them to have been willing to put in the investment they have (or declined the big paydays by moving him), they have to get that production in year one. Barkley will not produce as well as Elliott or Hunt and his owners will all be questioning their investment.
Well their will be 2 kinds of outcomes.

1. Barkley produces what is expected of him by his owners, and going forward what the cost of 1.01 will only go up higher.

2. Barkley Produces 10-15 RB numbers, owners realize they over paid and wont be able to get back what the invested, thus fixing the market.

well here we go!
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:02 am

skip wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:48 am I don't get this impression at all. He's getting drafted in the top 5 of start-ups. That doesn't suggest owners will be fine without a stellar rookie season.
He hasn't been drafted inside the top 5 of any startups I've participated in. I took him inside the top 10 in a startup this off season but I have so many leagues it was just for fun. I FULLY acknowledge that there is a portion of the owning population that fit your description well and many here on these forums seem to have paid just ludicrous prices for him, but in my experience it certainly is not the majority in the leagues I participate in. I feel like most of these comments are reserved for the folks who paid absurd prices to acquire him, and I'm not sure that simply spending the 1.01 or trading for it for a price within some kind of reason to obtain a career top 15 back is all that out of line.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:15 am

I think Barkley explodes and wins OROY. He has no flaws in his game. The Giants line is a question mark, but he's so great as a receiver that he'll still be able to produce.

I see 1000 rushing yards, 500 receiving yards, 10+ total touchdowns.

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:32 am

Barring a catastrophic meltdown, Barkley is one of the safest bets this year on averaging 20 touches/game immediately. Only other players that can say that are Gurley, Bell, Zeke, and DJ (not so coincidentally the consensus top 4 RB, if not overall, picks in redraft). At that point, all he has to do is put up pedestrian averages to get 1500+ yards from scrimmage.
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:56 am

From all the hype he's gotten, I'm expecting him to break every single rushing record and receiving record for a RB, along with TD records in both categories. Maybe even throw for a couple hundred yards and a few TDs.

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:59 am

The landing spot could end up really detrimental to Barkley. It's also amazing how quickly people write off the fact that we've never seen the guy in an NFL game... Barkley will probably have an astounding preseason but come back to earth on the field, putting up solid but not astonishing numbers. Sort of like last season's CMC hype, remember that?

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:01 am

btv802 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 am
raiders444 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:59 am I think the expectations are that he finishes somewhere around where Elliott and Fournette finished their rookie years. I believe both were top 10.
FWIW there was a MASSIVE disparity between the way Zeke and Fournette finished their rookie years. Zeke scored 327 PPR points and was RB2 only behind DJ who had a historically great season. Fournette was RB9 and scored 212 points in PPR.

I think the Barkley expectations are far more in line with what Zeke did which is not really based in reality
:thumbup:
Agree 100 percent, he needs to be Zeke like, if he is fournette like then he is going to get destroyed on here. Fournette is fantastic in his own right and Barkely having a rookie season like his should be enough but it wont be. I just feel like the guy is set up to "fail" due to lofty expectations in both real life and fantasy. The fact he is already ranked above Zeke on here is silly. Ill feel bad for him if he gets off to a slow start being #2 overall pick in THAT market, but I wouldn't be surprised with him being a rookie and facing that opening schedule, its not easy