No Win situation for Saquon?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: No Win situation for Saquon?

Postby skip » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:49 am

Phaded wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:47 am At least people who play PPR are going to get a ton of points on these dump offs. lol
It's how they need to get their points. He's not looked good at all on the ground so far.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:33 am

skip wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:49 am
Phaded wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:47 am At least people who play PPR are going to get a ton of points on these dump offs. lol
It's how they need to get their points. He's not looked good at all on the ground so far.
His oline and Eli are trash doesn't help. Teams are playing the run. The line folds and Eli can't throw farther than 5 yards .
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:36 am

I think he's looked fine, he just hasn't gotten a ton of opportunity and has been stuck behind that line which can make any RB look bad. If he can pull off that run vs the Jags then he can do it against any defense in the league, there will be a game or two he has several of those types of runs. Admittedly between that line and his natural play style he probably will be big play dependent this year for his rushing stats, he won't be grinding out 5 yard runs consistently, but his PPR value will more than make up for it when the rushing game stats aren't there and he'll have some monster weeks when he does have big ground numbers.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:15 pm

Careful skip, you will upset the "flawless prospect" group.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:17 pm

Phaded wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:15 pm
So where do you have Saquon ranked? I've noticed you love to take little jabs at him.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:20 pm

Love this, dude has sucked so far, people overpaid for him and are gonna justify it all season with the PPR logic. Just ask them if they would pay that amount for Cmac who is another back that is a PPR beast. Hope it continues all season and people are eating crow.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Hard to say where I have him "ranked" - I do not really bother making rankings since I have not done a draft in some time.

Off the top of my head he would absolutely not be in my top 5, maybe top 10ish long term but I would not be surprised if he is an RB2 this year. Would never entertain paying the going rate, though.

I sold my 1.01 for MT & 1.10 in June FWIW.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Weknownothing86 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:20 pm

Love this, dude has sucked so far, people overpaid for him and are gonna justify it all season with the PPR logic. Just ask them if they would pay that amount for Cmac who is another back that is a PPR beast. Hope it continues all season and people are eating crow.
There's not another back who could've scored that TD against Jacksonville last week. You're letting some sort of bias influence you if you think he's "sucked."

Saquon is not elite between the tackles, but he's elite in space and at making people miss. He does not suck.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:25 pm

Phaded wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:24 pm Hard to say where I have him "ranked" - I do not really bother making rankings since I have not done a draft in some time.

Off the top of my head he would absolutely not be in my top 5, maybe top 10ish long term but I would not be surprised if he is an RB2 this year. Would never entertain paying the going rate, though.

I sold my 1.01 for MT & 1.10 in June FWIW.
I definitely have him top 5, but no issue with top 10 if you have questions. No issue at all with the MT trade, though.

Mefisto
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mefisto » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:32 pm

He could be top 5 already on a different team. That Giants team is going to hold him back though. Both Eli and the o-line are abysmal. If they're smart they'll get a placeholder QB the next couple of years and fix the o-line early in the draft. It's the Giants though so I'm not holding my breath. As it stands, his stats right now aren't great but people have to remember that he didn't walk right into a good/great situation like Kamara, Zeke, Gurley (to an extent) and, hell, even Fournette. Most people had him rated high this year purely based off of volume, and if the first 2 weeks are an indication, he's going to get his volume. Hopefully they improve the team around him enough that his efficiency can go up the next couple years.
12 Team Non-PPR league. 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1RB/WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DL, 1LB, 1DB, 2DL/LB/DB
QB: Brady, Stafford, Mariota, Tannehill
RB: L. Miller, A. Collins, K. Drake, R. Freeman, K. Dixon, D. Foreman, D. Murray, J. Allen, Gore
WR: Hopkins, ARob, S. Diggs, D. Parker, M. Lee, J. Matthews, T. Lockett, D. Pettis, Callaway
TE: T. Kelce, E. Ebron, C. Brate
K: Bailey, Coons, Boswell
DL: D. Hunter, R. Quinn, D. Lawrence
LB: Von Miller, A. Ogletree, B. Wagner T. Edmunds
DB: H. Smith, J. Cyprien, L. Collins
2017 Superbowl Champion

10 Team PPR League. Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 1Superflex, 1Flex, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 3DFlex
QB: Luck, Goff, Trubisky, Prescott, Tannehill
RB: Gurley, Mixon, Barkley, D. Foreman
WR: Kupp, Cooper, C. Davis, Parker, T. Lockett, Kupp, W. Fuller, Sutton, John Brown, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Burton
DL: D. Lawrence, Ogunjobi, Ansah, M. Davenport
LB: L. Kuechly, T. Smith, Kiko Alonso, T. Edmunds, J. Smith, R. Foster
DB: Clinton-Dix, D. James, T. Edmunds, M. Jenkins

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Mefisto wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:32 pm He could be top 5 already on a different team. That Giants team is going to hold him back though. Both Eli and the o-line are abysmal. If they're smart they'll get a placeholder QB the next couple of years and fix the o-line early in the draft. It's the Giants though so I'm not holding my breath. As it stands, his stats right now aren't great but people have to remember that he didn't walk right into a good/great situation like Kamara, Zeke, Gurley (to an extent) and, hell, even Fournette. Most people had him rated high this year purely based off of volume, and if the first 2 weeks are an indication, he's going to get his volume. Hopefully they improve the team around him enough that his efficiency can go up the next couple years.
Maybe he hasn't dominated out of the gate the way people wanted/expected, but he's currently the #6 overall RB in ppr and averaging over 20 ppg, so his stats are pretty good.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:39 pm

And most do have him top 5.

Barkley is a fantastic athlete and is great in space. However, playing running back in the NFL - more often than not you do not have the luxury of having that space.

At this point it seems like he is trying to do too much east-west and needs to focus more on north-south.

He can absolutely be a home run hitter from what we have seen, but Saquon needs to learn that in the NFL there is a ton of value in getting skinny, lowering your shoulder and grinding out some extra yards. I would not be trusting him to get that first down when needed.

NFL teams will adapt to his athleticism and his bouncing it out, but Barkley needs to adapt and evolve his game to be an elite NFL RB.

Mefisto
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mefisto » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Though I play it, i personally hate ppr. He had 14 points from just dink and dunk passes this past week and without that his stats are merely decent. That is 35% of his points from check downs. That's concerning. Don't get me wrong, I think the very fact that he has been able to put up 100+ yards from scrimmage his first 2 games with such awful QB and o-line play is a testament to how good he is. I also think that if you put him on even a mediocre offense his stats would be better. I guess I'm just saying in a roundabout fashion that he's doing pretty well with what he's been given and I am excited for his future.

Phaded, what are you expecting out of him with how bad the team is around him other than OBJ? He can't block for himself...
12 Team Non-PPR league. 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1RB/WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DL, 1LB, 1DB, 2DL/LB/DB
QB: Brady, Stafford, Mariota, Tannehill
RB: L. Miller, A. Collins, K. Drake, R. Freeman, K. Dixon, D. Foreman, D. Murray, J. Allen, Gore
WR: Hopkins, ARob, S. Diggs, D. Parker, M. Lee, J. Matthews, T. Lockett, D. Pettis, Callaway
TE: T. Kelce, E. Ebron, C. Brate
K: Bailey, Coons, Boswell
DL: D. Hunter, R. Quinn, D. Lawrence
LB: Von Miller, A. Ogletree, B. Wagner T. Edmunds
DB: H. Smith, J. Cyprien, L. Collins
2017 Superbowl Champion

10 Team PPR League. Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 1Superflex, 1Flex, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 3DFlex
QB: Luck, Goff, Trubisky, Prescott, Tannehill
RB: Gurley, Mixon, Barkley, D. Foreman
WR: Kupp, Cooper, C. Davis, Parker, T. Lockett, Kupp, W. Fuller, Sutton, John Brown, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Burton
DL: D. Lawrence, Ogunjobi, Ansah, M. Davenport
LB: L. Kuechly, T. Smith, Kiko Alonso, T. Edmunds, J. Smith, R. Foster
DB: Clinton-Dix, D. James, T. Edmunds, M. Jenkins

hankmurphy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby hankmurphy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:47 pm

He’s still breaking tackles and making the first man miss almost every time he touches the ball. I doubt he finishes the season in the top-10 unless the NYG offense starts taking some steps forward.

There sure is a whole lot of schadenfreude in this thread right now.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:48 pm

I hear what you're saying and it's certainly not ideal, but if those are the league rules you play with then those "meaningless" dump offs count just as much as any other catch for any other player, and he's going to keep getting them. Points are points no matter how you get them.