Brag About Your (Fantasy) Football Experience thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Brag About Your (Fantasy) Football Experience thread

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:24 am

Title says it all. This is your one chance to tell everyone how much (fantasy) football experience you got. Played football (at any level). Coached (at any level). How many years have you watched. How many years have you managed (dynasty) teams. How often are your predictions on the money. What kind of analytics do you do. What kind of film study do you do. And so on.

No one cares here how many kids you got. What your job is / was / will be. Or where you live. That's for another tread, one that no one ever reads or cares about.

This is your one chance to let us know why everyone else should take you seriously, given your (fantasy) football expertise. Or lack thereof (as is my case). So be honest, but don't be bashful.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Re: Brag About Your (Fantasy) Football Experience thread

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:15 am

The first big mistake I made in dynasty was trading Shaun Alexander before he broke out.

I don't think I have a lot of expertise, but I've been playing for a bit (though not as long as some on this board), and I know from experience it's better to take my own shot and miss than to follow ADP/consensus values.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:16 am

Football experience: Played HS football and was All-Metro and All-State, Received Division 1 Big-10 Scholarship as TE/DE. Was undersized at 6-4, 230 at highest weight, known more for speed, intelligent play, outright aggression than elite genetics/athletic ability at D1 level, washed out in 2 years (3 years eligibility remaining) likely could have started as Junior or Senior but left when realized no chance of NFL future, could have gone to D1AA school of choice as transfer but was done with football. Did not watch football AT ALL for several years after but was lured back into the fold as I transitioned from player to fan (mostly due to joining fantasy football).

Began playing in redraft in around 2007, commish a league with one of the greatest yearly live drafts of all time (best day of the year). Joined the dynasty fold with friends and coworkers in 2015, now have friend league and two high stakes leagues joined through the DLF community. Would consider fantasy football one of or possibly my biggest hobby.

Known for sometimes being an annoying know-it-all amongst friends, decided to take my annoyingness to the forums (congrats guys!). Get called out for being "arrogant," "abrasive," "condescending" from time to time. All in good fun as we have to be so dern polite in life and what else do you expect from a guy with a Bosworth avi? Also known for trying to add observations on sleepers and deeper dives on overlooked players, some have told me that has some value as that's what I like to see here from others as well! If we don't do it, who will?? The mainstream fantasy media? No way, all driven by the top redraft players. Us degenerates need to do the deep dives. May not go as hard on some player threads and just watch as this is just a hobby and we can't immerse ourself in every players background or situation, go hard when I believe something, lurk and listen to others at other times.

Personally know several former NFL players though we don't keep in close touch. Bonus unexpected observation from that: you would be surprised how specialized football is. Most players who never coach learn A TON about their role, but no other roles (with the exception of QBs pretty much). A low-level college player may know more about a certain role (for example cornerback, etc.) than an NFL player who played an entirely different position.

Say that to say this, having been at the D1 level gives me some insight others may not have, but definitely does not in itself ever make me right. Try to never tout this as a humblebrag in posts because I can be just as wrong as anybody when projecting player futures and I realize that. The pro scouts and GMs get it wrong almost more than us haha
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:33 am

I am the Fantasy Football G.O.A.T.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:45 am

Bonus bad beat 'brag': I have never won a championship in any format and have the greatest stories of devastating defeats. This hobby is a gift and a curse :sick: :mrgreen:
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:48 am

Never played football except sandlot stuff as a kid. Been watching NFL games very regularly since 1988. Used to watch a lot of pre-game commentary (for what it's worth). Started re-draft in 2011 and then dynasty in 2012. Watch some rookie tapes before the draft, but not too much. Maybe 3 to 4 hours. Not into analytics. Get most of my info from these forums.

On record as saying I'm a great commissioner and a terrible manager. Have won a single championship. Have routinely had bad teams and bad season across various league formats. Erratic strategies, emotional trading, and bad gut instinct. Have recently decided to look at myself as my own worst enemy. Limiting my moves, questioning my moves, basically freezing myself through June and July and early August.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:15 am

I started playing redraft in 2005, dynasty in 2009.

Last year I was in 9 dynasty leagues and 3 redrafters.

The results:

Playoffs in 12 out of 12 leagues.

Championship match in 7 out of 12.

League champ in 2 out of 12 (wouldn’t like to have won more but at least they were $100 leagues).

The year before I had made playoffs in 11 out of 12. And won 5 of them.

And all of my dynos are set to compete, although 2 of them are aging.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:22 am

Started playing in 1998, so a solid 20 years now. First full dynasty in 2007.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

zoster80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby zoster80 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:50 am

I been a Dolphins and Saints fan since the 80's...(Born in NOLA and raised in Miami). Played high school ball as an OT and DT in late 90's.

Been playing fantasty/redraft since 1999. Due to this I was a big RB is the heart of team type drafter. Went through the Priest Holmes, Shaun Alexander, LT hey day and enjoyed it. I really am dating myself, but I am the reason my league made waivers on Tuesday's because I was one of the first to have internet on my phone and was able to pick up guys as injury news came in. I loved RB hoarding as a strategy.

After many years of boring snake drafts, I started experimenting with new leagues with Keepers and Auctions drafts and finally I got invited to play in a dynasty league by a friend in 2009. I came in with a redraft mentality and drafted RB heavy with CJ2k, MJD, Ray Rice and Thomas Jones. My team had a few playoff years but no championships. After going into a full rebuild and taking my lumps, I am now fan of building through WR's.

I like to watch film, I believe in drafting BPA. I have been burned in the past (Thanks Daniel Thomas, Sankey and David Johnson) and this has really opened my eyes to seeing that situations really do change and cream always rises to the top.

I am currently 5 leagues, including 2 dynasty's and 1 keeper league, due to time limitations and funds I don't really like to do more, I spend about $700 in buy-ins. I have won 1 dynasty league championship and 9 redraft, almost all in 12 team leagues. Last year I was in 4 semi-finals and 2 championship games and I won only one.

Want to know anything else just ask...
Zo Nasty -12 Teams, PPR, 30 players - Keep 24
Start QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, K, DST

QB: Herbert, B Young
RB: Bijan, Warren, Z Moss, K Ingram, J kelley
WR: D London, Z Flowers, JSN, J Reed, QJ G Davis, Gallup, DPJ, M Mims, J Metchie, W Robinson, J Tolbert, J Jennings
TE: J Ferguson Fant, J Johnson, Gesicki
DST: Colts NE
K: Butker

2024 Picks
2025 Picks

QB: Burrow Dobbs, R Wilson, Stidham, Carr,
RB: CMC, Hall, K Walker, Swift, M Sanders M Carter, K Gainwell, CEH, Hunt, C Evans, E Wilson, P Taylor, D Johnson,
WR: DJM, Metcalf, AJ Brown, Hopkins, M Gallup, Chark, T Scott, P Washington, G Dortch, J Watson, R Woods
TE: M Andrews, Fant , Hudson, Higbee, L Thomas, J Johnson,
DST: SF, PHI

TAXI:
C Jones, B Strange, J Shorter, W Levis
2024 Picks
4.11,5.11,6.05, 6.11[/size]
2025 Picks
2026 Picks

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:55 am

My biggest "brag" is that I never get emotionally invested in any player or team for fantasy. For better or worse, good or bad. If you can make me money, you are fine in my book. Same with gambling. For fantasy purposes, and for the most part viewing purposes, these are entertainers and it's a business. It's how I view fantasy too. These guys would never defend my honor, so I am not going to go online arguing with complete strangers because they don't value players the same or they happen to hate the team that plays where I reside. I think that line of thinking changed once serious $$ got involved, though I still enjoy the hobby side of it plenty.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

JDogil12
Starter
Starter

Postby JDogil12 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:09 pm

jordanzs wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:15 am I started playing redraft in 2005, dynasty in 2009.

The results:

League champ in 2 out of 12 (wouldn’t like to have won more but at least they were $100 leagues).

Great consistency but championship weekend must have been a heart-breaker

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:21 pm

biggest brag, in a dynasty auction start up prior to 2017, ended up with DJ, zeke, howard, and kamara
paid 3 bucks for kamara, 25 for Hopkins, paid a buck for funchess, and cooper kupp

in another league I traded howard for what turned into 1.01 or barkley, kind of cool

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:21 pm

Friction wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:33 am I am the Fantasy Football G.O.A.T.
:liar: You also are not the best @ spelling either. Your Sig should be spelled "F-i-c-t-i-o-n" :lol:

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:24 am

JDogil12 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:09 pm
jordanzs wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:15 am I started playing redraft in 2005, dynasty in 2009.

The results:

Great consistency but championship weekend must have been a heart-breaker
Oh man, it was painful and stressful.

But to make matters worse, I was in Japan and couldn’t watch any of the games where I was. All I could do was refresh my browser.

And the 2 matchups that I won, they literally both came down to my opponents in each of those leagues owning Alshon, who scored zero that week in the ugly Oakland matchup. In a parallel universe, I could’ve gone 0-7.

Needless to say I was jumping for joy after 100 refreshes on my phone.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:45 am

been playing FF since 2005ish. won tons of redraft and was always just way more into it than everyone else. i joined a dynasty league helping a buddy reconstruct his team, fell in love with that and started a dynasty out of my yearly redraft league. before last year i just had those 2 and had them each about 5 years now, winning the one once but set up now to hopefully defend the title, the rebuild is just now coming around and last year was the first year my buddy actually won money in that league in like 10 years lol. found DLF and joined like 3 more dynasties last year. now due to finding a bunch of other addicts im in like 12 dynasty and i will likely do 1-2 redrafts. glad to find other people with my same passion though its freakin awesome
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp