Dynasty strategy - startup draft - QB

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MrSinnister
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Dynasty strategy - startup draft - QB

Postby MrSinnister » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:10 am

Hey guys! I'm new to dynasty and new to this forum! I have my first ever dynasty startup draft coming up, and I've been trying to wrap my head around some basic strategy. I'm going to probably post a few different threads on a few different basic strategy aspects. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

So when it comes to QB, in redraft my strategy would generally be to really wait on the position unless a supreme value fell in my lap. There is just so much depth at the position and opportunity for streaming, it just doesn't seem to make sense to make a big investment in the QB position.

That being said, I've been doing dynasty mock drafts and I'm inclined to pull the trigger on one of the elite options. My reasoning is that there is no position that offers greater longevity and positional consistency as QB. I mean, if I take Rodgers, Wilson, Watson or Wentz, I could be locking myself in for elite QB production for 5-15 years.

Any thoughts?

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Dynasty strategy - startup draft - QB

Postby clarion contrarion » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:38 am

First of all welcome , I improved immensely as a fantasy football player from visiting this site and reading what the site's experts and even more so to the posters on the message board had to offer . Ask questions when need be but much is to be learned from just following along other discussions .
Now to the heart of the question , be very careful of the strategy du jour
zero rb
late round qb
zero wr there is a new hot strategy every year or so and the herd follows
more than anything be careful not to overvalue draft picks or prospects as many in the dynasty community just love young players often times for no other reason than they are young.

The qb list you state is a perfect example .... listing
wentz ( about prolific 1 season and a major injury) and watson (4 or 5 great games & a major injury) after both had injury issues in college .
with rodgers and wilson both having stacked year over year of elite production is what I am talking specifically about - if you are deciding between brees or brady and the young guys that is a philosophical debate but worrying about wentz's age rather than rodgers is a fool's errand and worrying about your dynasty team even 5 years from now let alone 15 is just missing the point.
think about this what if you compared 2 qbs coming off monster years in 2011
post 2011 going onto age 35 year tom brady 5200 yards and 39 tds with young gunslinger matt stafford heading into age 24 season 5000 yards 41 tds - since then stafford in 4 more games due to brady suspension- has 679 more passing yards or 113> per season than brady - stafford also has 32 less passing tds than brady . Youth is important to a balanced roster but it is the cherry on the sundae and nothing more .
I read that redraft is a sprint dynasty is a marathon my take dynasty is a series or sprints ! solicit a consensus of opinions about player value and strategy but follow your own gut instinct ,make your own mistakes rather than other peoples they will be easier to live with and improve upon.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:04 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Number of teams in the league?
Number of roster spots?
Starting line-up?

How does free agency work?

Let's start with the basics and go from there...! :)
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

JDogil12
Starter
Starter

Postby JDogil12 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:40 pm

Having your mind set to >5 years is a mistake imo. Play in 3 year windows or so

MrSinnister
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby MrSinnister » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:24 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I think a common response to my question is: you shouldn't be looking more than 5 years in advance. And I totally understand that. The point isn't really, "should I build a team to compete five years from now", it's "does it make sense to invest in a position like QB that has longevity and relative long term consistency?"

I mean, that's the thought process with giving preference to wrs early over rbs, isn't it? Which really was going to be a separate question. It seems like a pretty common practice among dynasty players is to try to get young talented wrs early. Beckham and Hopkins are the consensus top picks on pretty much everybody's draft boards. If we were doing redraft, 4 or 5 rbs are going off the board before those guys. If we are looking at a 3 year window, I'd think Bell is a pretty safe bet to outproduce Beckham and Hopkins, and provide a greater competitive advantage at the position. So either you completely disagree with having Beckham and Hopkins tops, or age and longevity of the position is more than just a tie breaker, right? Or maybe I am missing some other point entirely?

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:02 pm

It's very hard to describe but there's an odd balance between future and short term prospects that it time and a lot of feeling it out to balance, for instance Julio, in terms of this year I've got him as my #3 WR but he's getting older and has an injury history. Does this mean I'd take Arob or Juju over him because there that much younger than him, but a guy like Mike Evans I would. Thats a overexagerated example but a better one would be say Crabtree or Sanders v Gallup