Joe Mixon Thread: 4 Year extension in Cincy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Mixon Cuts Weight

Postby AussieMate » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:24 pm

Vcize wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:36 am This is usually a good thing for a RB, but Mixon's problems (as detailed in his on-field scouting report that everyone forgot to read because they were so busy debating about the punch) are with his vision and creativity at the line of scrimmage. His failure or success will be determined by whether he can improve in those areas, not whether or not he can get more athletic. His athleticism is already in the top 1%.
Never thought his vision was the problem, more him trying to find a homerun every snap. Once he calmed down in that aspect he started to look like a good RB. Also I agree that his athleticism wasn't the issue, I believe he needs to start thinking about the team rather then his highlight reel and he will improve alot more.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:20 am

ericanadian wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:19 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:59 am He was already uber athletic, i don't think losing weight is going to do anything. Now if he was a bit out of shape last season and he's more in shape this season then maybe that is relevant.
This. I never looked at what Mixon was doing last year and thought, "If only he were a bit faster..."
More or less agree but there was one long catch and run where he got tackled from behind when I did kinda want him to be a LITTLE bit faster...but he's a big guy and carried his weight just fine as far as I'm concerned.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:54 am

btv802 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:20 am
ericanadian wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:19 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:59 am He was already uber athletic, i don't think losing weight is going to do anything. Now if he was a bit out of shape last season and he's more in shape this season then maybe that is relevant.
This. I never looked at what Mixon was doing last year and thought, "If only he were a bit faster..."
More or less agree but there was one long catch and run where he got tackled from behind when I did kinda want him to be a LITTLE bit faster...but he's a big guy and carried his weight just fine as far as I'm concerned.
Was that the long run where he got tackled right in front of the end zone? If so I recall he kept looking behind him. If he kept his face forward I think he could have capped off the run with a TD.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:55 am

Bot101 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:54 am Was that the long run where he got tackled right in front of the end zone? If so I recall he kept looking behind him. If he kept his face forward I think he could have capped off the run with a TD.
Probably I can't remember the exact play but yeah he had a looooong TD if he doesn't get caught.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:04 am

If he had scored that TD he'd have broken the top 30 RBs in both PPR and STD scoring.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:33 pm

btv802 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:55 am
Bot101 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:54 am Was that the long run where he got tackled right in front of the end zone? If so I recall he kept looking behind him. If he kept his face forward I think he could have capped off the run with a TD.
Probably I can't remember the exact play but yeah he had a looooong TD if he doesn't get caught.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss ... -of-career

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:14 am

I remember when Eddie Lacy lost weight

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:25 am

Yep! I was pretty sure it was a catch and run.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:51 pm

He starts looking to his left around the 25 yard line to try and figure out if he had to make a move on 93 ... he looks like he slows down at this point or likely would have scored.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:11 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:51 pm He starts looking to his left around the 25 yard line to try and figure out if he had to make a move on 93 ... he looks like he slows down at this point or likely would have scored.
He also looks over his right shoulder as well.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Re: Mixon to the Hall of Fame

Postby thebeast » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:35 am

Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 am
thebeast wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:39 pm
Johnny Canuck wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:49 pm If I had to put a name to it, personally, I wouldn't trade Collins for Mixon
Wait, what? That’s seems pretty extreme.
I don't think it's extreme at all. Let's do a little exercise to try and illuminate why. I'll take out the names for the next portion, in an attempt to remove as much bias as possible.

College Scrimmage Yard Evaluation (last season in CFB)

Player A: 1812 yards and 15 TDs
Player B: 1672 yards and 20 TDs

NFL Stats Last Season

Player A: 913 yards and 4 TDs
Player B: 1160 yards and 6 TDs

Fantasy Pts Last Season (0.5 ppr)

Player A: Total Points 126.3, PPG 9.0, RB Rank 35
Player B: Total Points 159.5, PPG 10.6, RB Rank 18

Fantasy Pts From Game 8 Onward

Player A: Total Points 80, PPG 10.0, RB Rank 31
Player B: Total Points 127, PPG 14.1, RB Rank 8

Now obvs once I put in the rankings, it's evident that Player A is Joe Mixon, and Player B is Alex Collins. But try to take a look without bias and truthfully ask yourself which player you'd take? A or B?

Collins outperformed Mixon in almost every statistical measure last season, so why would it be "extreme" to have Collins over Mixon?

Ranking Collins above Mixon isn't extreme at all. If anything, it's logical. It would illogical to rank Mixon above Collins simply because Mixon has more perceived potential.

Now Mixon has the age factor being 21, but it's not like Collins is an old man at 23 yrs old.

The o-line argument doesn't work, because both teams had terrible o-lines, and both teams line is expected to improve.

If LJax beats out Flacco and starts at any point in the season, Collins should see a pretty decent bump (running QBs always help RBs, and Ljax looks like the best running QB to come out of the draft since Vick). It could be argued that Ross would help Mixon by stretching the field...but I think it's much more likely that Ljax opens more running lanes than Ross.

Mixon is perceived to have an easier route to touches, but that's simply because the dynasty community loves to underrate Gio, and overrate Dixon (another player that receives too much unwarranted hype imo, but that's a thread for another day). Call this one a tie.

I'll give Mixon the edge in pass catching over Collins, but similarly I'd give Collins the edge over Mixon in running between the tackles.

Collins ranked as the 11th most elusive RB last season, compare this to the 26th ranked Mixon (out of 28 qualified RBs).

I'll say it again, I'd rather have Collins than Mixon, and it's not that extreme of a take. It's only extreme if you're riding the Mixon hype train and are unwilling to entertain the idea that he might not be as great as he's made out to be.
So far

Mixon 1
Collins 0

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:33 am

thebeast wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:35 am
Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 am
thebeast wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:39 pm
Wait, what? That’s seems pretty extreme.
I don't think it's extreme at all. Let's do a little exercise to try and illuminate why. I'll take out the names for the next portion, in an attempt to remove as much bias as possible.

College Scrimmage Yard Evaluation (last season in CFB)

Player A: 1812 yards and 15 TDs
Player B: 1672 yards and 20 TDs

NFL Stats Last Season

Player A: 913 yards and 4 TDs
Player B: 1160 yards and 6 TDs

Fantasy Pts Last Season (0.5 ppr)

Player A: Total Points 126.3, PPG 9.0, RB Rank 35
Player B: Total Points 159.5, PPG 10.6, RB Rank 18

Fantasy Pts From Game 8 Onward

Player A: Total Points 80, PPG 10.0, RB Rank 31
Player B: Total Points 127, PPG 14.1, RB Rank 8

Now obvs once I put in the rankings, it's evident that Player A is Joe Mixon, and Player B is Alex Collins. But try to take a look without bias and truthfully ask yourself which player you'd take? A or B?

Collins outperformed Mixon in almost every statistical measure last season, so why would it be "extreme" to have Collins over Mixon?

Ranking Collins above Mixon isn't extreme at all. If anything, it's logical. It would illogical to rank Mixon above Collins simply because Mixon has more perceived potential.

Now Mixon has the age factor being 21, but it's not like Collins is an old man at 23 yrs old.

The o-line argument doesn't work, because both teams had terrible o-lines, and both teams line is expected to improve.

If LJax beats out Flacco and starts at any point in the season, Collins should see a pretty decent bump (running QBs always help RBs, and Ljax looks like the best running QB to come out of the draft since Vick). It could be argued that Ross would help Mixon by stretching the field...but I think it's much more likely that Ljax opens more running lanes than Ross.

Mixon is perceived to have an easier route to touches, but that's simply because the dynasty community loves to underrate Gio, and overrate Dixon (another player that receives too much unwarranted hype imo, but that's a thread for another day). Call this one a tie.

I'll give Mixon the edge in pass catching over Collins, but similarly I'd give Collins the edge over Mixon in running between the tackles.

Collins ranked as the 11th most elusive RB last season, compare this to the 26th ranked Mixon (out of 28 qualified RBs).

I'll say it again, I'd rather have Collins than Mixon, and it's not that extreme of a take. It's only extreme if you're riding the Mixon hype train and are unwilling to entertain the idea that he might not be as great as he's made out to be.
So far

Mixon 1
Collins 0
As an owner of both, Collins was discouraging yesterday and Mixon stole the day. Mixon is definitely the better overall player than Collins

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:34 am

Does yesterday do anything at all for Mixons value or does he need a few more games?

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:10 am

I have been one of the biggest Mixon skeptics out there. That said, he looked like the best RB out there Sunday. Decisive, quick - great in the receiving game.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:11 am

Mixon's major redflags were off the field. Now it's just a question of his role and level of involvement. He is a low end rb1 / high end rb2 for fantasy. Collins is a tier below that but yet still criminally undervalued on this site.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.