Anyone heard any relevant news on 2018 rookies in training camps?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
austing
Role Player
Role Player

Anyone heard any relevant news on 2018 rookies in training camps?

Postby austing » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:16 pm

Drafts on August 3rd coming up soon and looking for the grapevines to help sort between some (still) closely ranked rookies.. Guice, penny, chubb, Michel, Rojo, kerryon, Freeman, Sutton, miller, Kirk for the most part; anyone hearing anything substantial?

I know these guys are beyond talked about but this month is when I start to see the men separate from the boys alot of times and seeing as how I my draft is the week before preseason starts that's all I will have to go on..
12 team/37 year contract cap ppr league/ Player (yrs left on team) --- Qb Rb Flex Flex Flex Flex (max 3 rbs, no req. TEs)

QB Josh Allen (1)

RB Nick Chubb (1) Miles Sanders (4) Chase Edmunds (1)

WR Kenny Golladay (2) Jerry Jeudy (4) Courtland Sutton (3) Allen Robinson (3) Marvin Jones (2) Nelson Agholor (1) Nkeal Harry (3)

K Josh Brown (1)

Dst Bears (1)

2021 1.04 Pick (waddle/pitts/williams)

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Anyone heard any relevant news on 2018 rookies in training camps?

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:44 pm

No, because most training camps don't start until next week...
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

JDogil12
Starter
Starter

Postby JDogil12 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:12 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:44 pm No, because most training camps don't start until next week...
I think a decent chunk of rookies have already reported, they typically go a week early. Although to answer OP's question, I think it is a bit too early to try and evaluate

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:13 pm

I heard they were all impressing in camp and eager to take on a full role. ALL ROOKIES.

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:35 pm

I heard:

Barker is stuck behind Tygod
Barkley is a stud
Darnold isn't ready for the big time
Josh Allen can't hit the broadside of a barn
Rosen is too smart/cocky and alienating the locker room
DJM isn't getting alot of targets
Hurst isn't a great pass catcher and is being outplayed by Andrews
Ridley is too slow to create separation
Penny is being outplayed by Carson and getting Wilson killed by not picking up blitzs
Sony fumbles the ball on every carry
Ljax is being converted to WR
Nick Chubb is the 3rd RB in every practice
Ronald Jones is only being used as the third down back, but drops every pass
Sutton is on the 2nd team offense
Gesicki is being outplayed by Derby
Johnson can't make anything happen when he's not running wildcat
Pettis is getting replaced by Dez
Kirk is just running literally behind Larry because he is solely a slot WR
Goedert is working on his passing so he can be the new trick play guy
Miller is getting outplayed by White...
Guice hasn't left the locker room since they got fortnite in there
Washington will only take passes from Rudolph
etc.

All these statements are worth about the same amount of fluff you typically see in the offseason or that you'll see before you're draft date. Don't worry about what the beat writers/coaches say, just go watch some tape, and grind out some statistical analysis if you so wish. Then just go with your gut/make your pick.

Don't let the fluff change you're opinions, even if it's a close ranking.

austing
Role Player
Role Player

Postby austing » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:20 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:44 pm No, because most training camps don't start until next week...
Agreed, I kind of jumped the gun on purpose as news should start rolling in and would like to get a full thread on it from people paying close attention to certain teams or that happen to attend training camp and can give some first hand input. Specifically on the wrs (Ridley getting open/Sutton bodying NFL dbs/miller as good as I hope ect..) and some rbs (*special factor* on chubb/penny/kerryon/Guice) if I had to narrow the focus.
12 team/37 year contract cap ppr league/ Player (yrs left on team) --- Qb Rb Flex Flex Flex Flex (max 3 rbs, no req. TEs)

QB Josh Allen (1)

RB Nick Chubb (1) Miles Sanders (4) Chase Edmunds (1)

WR Kenny Golladay (2) Jerry Jeudy (4) Courtland Sutton (3) Allen Robinson (3) Marvin Jones (2) Nelson Agholor (1) Nkeal Harry (3)

K Josh Brown (1)

Dst Bears (1)

2021 1.04 Pick (waddle/pitts/williams)

bucsrule
Captain
Captain

Postby bucsrule » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:12 pm

Guice is in Washington which reaks of timeshare but his talent should win the majority.
Penny, no question, is the stud.
chubb has to contend with Hyde who has looked terrific. Lucky for Chubb that Carlos is an injury magnet, plus Chubb is unquestionably the future.
Michel has to deal with ppr theives White and Burkhead, as well as the Burkmonster stealing goal line snaps.
Rojo is the guy. Charles Simms runs in mud. Parker is good but he ain't no rojo.
kerryon has looked really good, but Blount is around as well, and he doesn't suck. He's a beast and will hold Kerryon back from fullfilling his potential IMO.
Freeman should be the guy. He only has Booker to contend with and he never did it for me. Problem is that I'm still stung by Tatum Bell being the consensus stud RB. I do think in time the job will be Freemans.
Sutton has looked good in camp and passed Carlos Henderson with relative ease. Should man the 3 to start out.
Ridley looked good as well with his technique which is a surprise to no one.

That's pretty much where I'm at with those guys. Of course, it could change drastically by week 3 of the preseason.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:18 pm

Ravens camp started today. Bears tomorrow.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:42 am

I heard (fill in the team)'s coaching staff "really like" (fill in the drafted player). They're all gonna get a real opportunity. I don't think you can go wrong!

No but on a serious note, I wouldn't believe much of anything you hear from camp and imo you should rely on your pre and post draft assessment and not let the "fake news" sway your opinion much.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:49 am

there are some reporters that keep track of snap counts, most reporters will tell you what team they are working on. pay attention to the combination of those. that'll tell you who is the starter and more likely to give you immediate returns.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:37 am

kamihamster wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:49 am there are some reporters that keep track of snap counts, most reporters will tell you what team they are working on. pay attention to the combination of those. that'll tell you who is the starter and more likely to give you immediate returns.
Good call. I've found that the ourlads projected depth charts can be helpful here as well if you don't have time to research snap counts.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

bucsrule
Captain
Captain

Postby bucsrule » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:59 pm

GridironGuerilla wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:37 am
kamihamster wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:49 am there are some reporters that keep track of snap counts, most reporters will tell you what team they are working on. pay attention to the combination of those. that'll tell you who is the starter and more likely to give you immediate returns.
Good call. I've found that the ourlads projected depth charts can be helpful here as well if you don't have time to research snap counts.
Yes. Very good call. Paying attention to news and reviews as the offseason progresses gives you some idea of what's going on, but nothing can compete on the knowledge train like actual plays with that player involved, and percentage of snaps.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:08 pm

I’d pay more attention to negative reports than positive ones. During a time when every rookie is going to breakout, it’s a little more alarming when you read negative stuff on a guy.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:14 pm

If Julio Jones holds out, that will be a big win for all of us Calvin Ridley owners. Means he will get more reps with the offense, and better reps.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:06 am

Bot101 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:08 pm I’d pay more attention to negative reports than positive ones. During a time when every rookie is going to breakout, it’s a little more alarming when you read negative stuff on a guy.
:thumbup: that’s good advice, I agree