Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: Cooks extended

Postby Valhalla » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:02 pm

DLF3000 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:45 pm
btv802 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:49 pm :dance: Boom :dance:
By that, you mean weekly boom-bust, right? :wink:
For those that truly adamantly stress this point...
Cooks’ boom-bust is overstated, and it’s clearly better than the bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust BOOM!!! bust bust bust BOOM!!! bust nature of one Julio Jones :wink:

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:43 pm

Valhalla with the Drum solo! ;)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:12 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:31 pm Sean McVay isn't a fantasy football coach.

An effective field-stretcher is essential to his offense, whether or not it's getting targeted more than a 100 times year.

Jackson, Watkins, and now Cooks were / are very important. They create space underneath for the higher volume possession receivers and pull safeties out of the box for the running-back. McVay's offense doesn't work without this role-player.

McVay traded a 2nd round pick+ to get Watkins for just one year. NFL teams value their picks very highly. Garoppolo was traded for a 2nd round pick. Darrelle Revis when he was a league-dominating superstar was traded for just one 1st. So that trade for Watkins for just a one year rental was very expensive. It still didn't result in Watkins getting more than 75 targets, though.

But to McVay and his staff, it was totally worth it as Watkins was nonetheless important to the overall offense's dramatic transformation in '17.
Watkins also got there in mid August, and was still learning the playbook in September. I agree that McVay likes to have a field stretcher, and Cooks certainly is that. He is however, more than that. We shall see how it goes, but I really think 100 targets isn't even in question. Cooks had the entire off-season with the team, unlike Watkins, and is viewed by the team as an elite WR based on the terms of the contract. Not to mention Cooks is just a better football player than Watkins. I think this contract is a good for both the Rams and Cooks as a Dynasty player. He won't be bouncing to another team and another offense and another QB, but instead is now part of a top offensive unit with a coach who has made it clear he views him as an intergral part of that, and I think the decoy tag that some give is overstated. Cooks is locked in as the top WR on that team, and I can't imagine McVay won't find multiple ways of getting the ball in his hands over much less talented options.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:16 pm

Valhalla wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:02 pm
DLF3000 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:45 pm
btv802 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:49 pm :dance: Boom :dance:
By that, you mean weekly boom-bust, right? :wink:
For those that truly adamantly stress this point...
Cooks’ boom-bust is overstated, and it’s clearly better than the bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust bust BOOM!!! bust bust bust BOOM!!! bust nature of one Julio Jones :wink:
There are maybe 3-5 WRs in the league that you'd have a hard time NOT referring to them as "boom/bust"... If Julio and Cooks are going to be as criticized as they are, owners need to take LONG hard look at guys like Stefon Diggs, Amari Cooper, Mike Evans, Keenan Allen...and many others.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

smallxl
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smallxl » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Boom for me...love Cooks and always will.
22-man, 12-team, 1 pt-PPR; Start 1-2RB; 3-4 WR; 1-2 TE

TEAM 1
QB: Prescott, Foles
RB: Barkley, P Barber, Duke, Gio Bernard, Gus, C Thompson, Breida, Ekeler
WR: A Cooper, Cooks, Lockett, C. Davis, Crowder, Chark, Stills
TE: OJ Howard

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:07 pm

jtd1387 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:51 pm Great news for his dynasty value. I also have concerns about Goff, but getting tied to McVay is great.
I don’t see how. He went from Brees to Brady to Goff. His value has to take a hit and I don’t see how news of him being tied to a average qb in a run first offense increases his value.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:54 pm

thebeast wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:07 pm
jtd1387 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:51 pm Great news for his dynasty value. I also have concerns about Goff, but getting tied to McVay is great.
I don’t see how. He went from Brees to Brady to Goff. His value has to take a hit and I don’t see how news of him being tied to a average qb in a run first offense increases his value.
Not sure Goff can't be more than average. It's basically about stability and commitment. He's going to be tied to a good offensive mind and an ascending young QB. While it's a run first offense, Gurley demands safety attention, and I think what is meant is this is better than him switching teams again next year, having to learn another system, develop rapport with another QB etc. in terms of it being good for his dynasty value. I think it's better than if the Pats had locked him up for 5 years. Maybe not for this year, but Brady is going to be done sooner rather than later. Cooks has the chance to be the go to guy for a young QB/HC and that's good for a long term view over the uncertainty that would surround him if he became an FA, or was extended by the Pats, and being ther post Brady (or even post elite Brady, which could quite possibly be this year).
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:00 am

Because he's tied to one of the best offensive coaches through his prime and has significant financial commitment. I like Cooks' better then I did yesterday, knowing he's not going to be a bill next year.

Also, good coaches adapt their systems to their players. Saying "McVay always has x type WR get y targets, and they ran z% of the time, and that's how it's going to be every year for 5 years." IDK, it just seems to lack imagination.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:09 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:12 pm
Watkins also got there in mid August, and was still learning the playbook in September.
Hahaha I totally forgot about this, I read that during the first month of so of the season last year, Goff would call out a play at the line of scrimmage and Watkins would have to turn to Kupp and ask him what that meant because he didn't know the playbook. It was basically like playing telephone from McVay to Goff to Kupp to Watkins.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:33 am

i suggest you go back a few posts and see the comparison between brady and goff over the last 8 weeks of the regular season. there's nothing average about goff.

he's just getting started.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:34 am

IBall2 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:09 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:12 pm
Watkins also got there in mid August, and was still learning the playbook in September.
Hahaha I totally forgot about this, I read that during the first month of so of the season last year, Goff would call out a play at the line of scrimmage and Watkins would have to turn to Kupp and ask him what that meant because he didn't know the playbook. It was basically like playing telephone from McVay to Goff to Kupp to Watkins.
This is just one of the reasons Watkins has never been nor ever will be as good of a WR as Cooks. Which makes the concerns about Cooks filling the Watkins role seem ridiculous to me. Cooks is a superior talent. He will perform better and receive more opportunity accordingly
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:12 am

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:31 pm Sean McVay isn't a fantasy football coach.
Do we know this definitively?

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:43 am

Lotto4Life wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:12 am
He certainly is in the age range to have at least at one time played fantasy football, and if he’s anything like most football enthusiasts (he is), he can’t give up his home league with his old buddies.

He probably owned cooks

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:00 pm

Valhalla wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:43 am
Lotto4Life wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:12 am
He certainly is in the age range to have at least at one time played fantasy football, and if he’s anything like most football enthusiasts (he is), he can’t give up his home league with his old buddies.

He probably owned cooks
Either he owns him or his arch-nemesis does and this is a sabotaging move
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:09 pm

I was already higher on Cooks than just about everybody (somehow) so this just solidifies that for me.
Just seems like everyone I talk to has some reason to not like him, but when you look at his stats, his athleticism, his consistency, his fantasy points, they don't seem to match his value at all.
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too