Re: Why is Chubb falling?

Postby DLF3000 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:42 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:29 am If I may recap;

1) He's on the Browns
2) He has legit competition for touches
3) He's not a plus in the receiving game
4) He's perceived to lack top 5 overall upside
Hmmm... *4* strikes? Ugh.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:16 am

M-Dub wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:37 pm People want instant gratification from their rookie picks
This is the simplest and most logical answer. Most of the RBs in this draft class landed on bad running teams but because those backs have clearer paths to start they are being drafted ahead of him. Better in the short term, possibly, but for the longer term Chubb is better than nearly everyone in this class.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:17 pm

Agree with the above points. I have been trying to not put too much stock into dropping RBS that are not a threat to catch 60-80 balls and get the lions share of carries, goal line, etc. How many truly do? Too lazy to look, but Gurley, Bell, Elliott, DJ, Gordon, shady, prob SaQuad, Cook (though I can see a little more Murray mixed in after last year), and I am sure I missed one or two. Others either have a decent second back like Freeman or Kamara (did not matter for him) or are more towards the 2-3 catch per game max. That's not terrible.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Chubb truthers that haven't drafted yet should be happy that he's falling in ADP, ofc. There's a few players in this rookie class I think are ridiculous to be falling to where they are, but I ain't saying word one in complaint, because I effing love it.

Sometimes discussions like these are fueled by people who have already drafted and reached and want to justify it, and/or by people waxing certainty but are trying convince everyone else because they're really trying to convince themselves.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:42 pm

he went 3rd in one of my drafts and 5th in a 2qb league. hasn't dropped much at all in my experience.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:43 pm

thebeast wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:37 am
sloth8u wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:31 pm
ninotoreS wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:15 pm Only one of the most effective per touch running-backs in football at every aspect of the position. Oh yeah, irrelevant.

The extension begins after this season, so it's four years including '18.

Spotrac.com still doesn't have the information on his cap vs dead-cap hit each year throughout the deal, so I don't know when he potentially becomes viable to cut, or how frontloaded or backloaded the contract may or may not be.

Regardless, if Duke continues to be as analytically elite as he has been to this point, then it's probable he'll play out the contract. Keeping his touches capped also boosts his odds to maintain good health.
if chubb proves to be the player that most are drafting....dj is a lost factor here. its no secret that haley will roll with 1 rb...if chubb, hyde, dj...can earn that....its their job to lose. i would not get wrapped up in the situation here.....other than "its the browns".
Yeah, but the situation is murky. After paying Hyde and drafting Chubb you would have thought they would let Duke walk. I think he’s very relevant to the situation. I’m not sure why Chubb proponents care that he is slipping in drafts as it makes it more likely they can get him one way or another, unless they’re getting nervous themselves.
I understand it's after this season that it starts, but if only 7.7 of the 15 is guaranteed, could they not cut him before the contract ends with minimal cap hit?

EDIT, never mind, it was covered, glossed over that part. Sorry.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

spotxc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby spotxc » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:48 pm

I took chubb at 4 over Penny. Didn't let him slip in my league

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:26 pm

DLF3000 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:42 am

1) He's on the Browns
I believe 3 strikes in a row is called a Turkey so I guess 4 strikes in a row could be called a Chubb. :think:
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:37 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:26 pm
DLF3000 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:42 am

1) He's on the Browns
I believe 3 strikes in a row is called a Turkey so I guess 4 strikes in a row could be called a Chubb. :think:
Four strikes in a row is a guaranteed score of at least 90...a VERY good rookie Madden rating. Is it a sign?!

playa_hata
All Pro
All Pro

Postby playa_hata » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:04 pm

i think once the season starts chubb will be hard to keep off the field and will become the 3 down back. duke johnson will still get usage but i dont think it takes chubb off the field.
12 team PPR SuperFlex start 9 (Same for each team)

TM1
QB: Rodgers, Rivers, Dak, Dalton, Smith
RB: Zeke, CMC, Jacobs, Chubb, Gore, Dearnest
WR: Davante Adams, Tyreek, Fuller, Aj Brown, AB, MVS, Fulgham, Ward, Fitz, Beasley, amendola, zaccheus
TE: Ertz, Engram, Fells

TM2
QB: Rodgers, Baker, Stafford, Bridgewater
RB:Kamara, Chubb, Hunt, Singletary
WR:M Evans,D Adams,Kupp, AJ brown, lockett, sanders,miller, Patrick, Robinson, Hamilton, Lasley, D.Robinson, Trey Quinn, Scantling, agholor
TE: Kelce, Rudolph, Irv smith, gronk, Burton

knotts4372
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby knotts4372 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:40 pm

playa_hata wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:04 pm i think once the season starts chubb will be hard to keep off the field and will become the 3 down back. duke johnson will still get usage but i dont think it takes chubb off the field.
i think thats total best case scenario for chubb owners and very much doubt it goes down that way. i love chubb and think he is their future at rb, but dont think they are paying that money to hyde for nothing. they are gonna give him touches and probably alot of them especially early in the year. i see this situation ending up very similarly to the demarco murray/derrick henry situation from a few years back, with hyde getting lions share early on and chubb gradually eating into that as the year goes on
DLF hall of famers 16 teams 25 man roster
http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... =07&F=0016

IRONCLAD 16 teams 40 man rosters http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/133985/teams/

@donnynutz on twitter

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:52 pm

knotts4372 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:40 pm
playa_hata wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:04 pm i think once the season starts chubb will be hard to keep off the field and will become the 3 down back. duke johnson will still get usage but i dont think it takes chubb off the field.
i think thats total best case scenario for chubb owners and very much doubt it goes down that way. i love chubb and think he is their future at rb, but dont think they are paying that money to hyde for nothing. they are gonna give him touches and probably alot of them especially early in the year. i see this situation ending up very similarly to the demarco murray/derrick henry situation from a few years back, with hyde getting lions share early on and chubb gradually eating into that as the year goes on
They signed Hyde before Chubb was drafted. I think people should watch the interview where Highsmith compares Chubb to Jamaal Lewis, with a type of look that only an actual football player can give. Besides, Hue will play whoever saves his job. Period.

https://youtu.be/wPm_rw55lLU?t=8m59s

He specifically mentions Landry and Chubb, when talking about how to change the franchise, yet also mentions "the players they brought in in free agency" as part of that. Sure. But Landry was a free agent, and he specifiacally mentioned him. Yet Hyde was a FA, and he mentioned Chubb..... I mean, who knows, but the dude cut off the reporter to say Nick Chubb was Jamaal Lewis, then stared them all down. I think Chubb has a better chance at starting touches than some think.

"Just give him the ball." Alonzo Highsmith
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:57 am

I think Alonzo sees a lot of Alonzo in Chubb. Same style player as Jamal but maybe a touch more athletic, like Chubb.

Naturally he would favor a player like that but Highsmith isn't the final say so . Not the GM (who signed Duke extension) nor the Head Coach (who elevated Johnson's use over Crowell)... Chubb needs to prove or improve his receiving chops like Gurley did to be come top ten RB

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 am

I get that everyone wants to chase the new and sexy thing in Chubb - but why are people completely writing off Hyde?
He had a respectable year last year in San Fran (and that team was a dumpster fire).

I know there is a potential out after 2018 with a small amount of dead money; but if he performs highly it is hard to see the Browns not keeping him for the contract they have with him. Hyde is also capable in the receiving game.

I don't think there will be anything resembling a feature back or a bellcow - I think we are looking at a full blown committee or a hot hand approach where it will get frustrating for fantasy owners on a week to week basis. I think this running back group can perform well in real life though.