New Idea re Determing Start-up Draft Order

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Re: New Idea re Determing Start-up Draft Order

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:05 am

So I decided to draft up some provisions that use this concept. And to take it one step further, I am using the pick auction system not only for the start-up, but also for subsequent veteran and rookie drafts (year 2 and beyond). Would be grateful if you could review these provisions and let me know what you think.

I. The Start-Up System

Start-up Process: The league will have a 3-round rookie draft and a 20-round veteran draft. Picks will be awarded by way of the “start-up pick auction.”

Start-up Auction: Each Franchise receives a total of $200m for the start-up pick auction. The start-up pick auction consists of:

• rookie draft picks 1.01 through 3.16
• veteran draft picks 1.01 through 3.16
• veteran draft slots 4.01 through 4.16

A “veteran draft slot” means all 17 picks from Round 4 through Round 20 that go with that draft slot. Meaning if you win draft slot 4.01, you will pick at 4.01, 5.16, 6.01, 7.16 and so on. No Franchise can win more than one veteran draft slot. Once a Franchise wins a veteran draft slot, it will forfeit all other bids on veteran draft slots.

II. Year 2 & Beyond

Subsequent Veteran & Rookie Drafts: Each off-season, there will be a 7 round veteran draft and a 3 round rookie draft. Picks will be awarded by way of the “off-season pick auction.”

Subsequent Pick Auctions: Each Franchise receives a certain sum of auction funds for the off-season pick auction, based upon the prior year’s finishing order.

• Worst Team: $200m
• 2nd worst team: $190m
• 3rd worst team: $180m
• 4th worst team: $170m
• 5th worst team: $160m
• 6th worst team: $150m
• 7th worst team: $140m
• 8th worst team: $130m
• 9th worst team: $120m
• 10th worst team: $115m
• 6th Place: $110m
• 5th Place: $105m
• 4th Place: $100m
• 3rd Place: $95m
• Runner-Up: $90m
• Champion: $85m

The subsequent pick auctions consists of:

• rookie draft picks 1.01 through 3.16
• veteran draft picks 1.01 through 7.16

Free Agent Draft (year 2 and beyond): Held annually in early spring for veteran free agents. Will consist of 7 rounds.

Rookie Drafts (year 2 and beyond): Held annually in spring before and after NFL Draft. Three rounds. Third round of each draft will occur prior to the NFL Draft, and will exclude the top 32 ranked rookies (as ranked by DLF or another reputable dynasty ranking site that provides a PPR Superflex rookie ranking). First and Second round will occur after the NFL Draft.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:45 am

Al sorts of interesting ideas with that write up, Cult. Cool breaking down the draft into pre- and post-NFL draft. Auctioning for the rookie draft also allows for bonuses to be given- win toilet bowl, get x extra bid money; best start/bench efficiency, get extra; best all-play record of non-playoff teams, get extra.

As written, it's not clear to me how future years auctions would work. If you win the .01/.16 slot, is that for both the rookie draft and the vet draft? Since the rookie draft is broken in 2, are you able to bid on the rounds 1-2 group separate from the 3rd round that's pre-draft?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:55 am

The bonus idea is brilliant. Didn't think about that. Would add "highest regular season score" to the mix, maybe even "most trades concluded", maybe even a "Best Manager" as voted by the league.

As for future auctions, as currently written, each pick of both the veteran draft and the rookie draft would be available in the future auctions (one per year). The "draft slots" are only with respect to the 20-round start-up veteran draft, since it entails a total of 320 picks. So I thought it would make more sense to be able to bid on the first 36 (3 rounds) and then only "draft slots" for the rest of the 17 rounds.

As for the rookie drafts before and after the NFL Draft, that's something that I thought of in discussions with my DLF PL league mates. Some guys want the entire rookie draft before the NFL Draft, and I said "hey, why not have the 3rd round before the draft, and just exclude the top 32 rookies." It would allow guys to get their toes wet, without having to jump all the way in.

Ultimately, the idea is to stock-pile the off-season with as many formal league events as possible. 1 pick auction, 2 rookie drafts (counting the pre and post NFL Draft rounds), 1 veteran auction. If this was applied to an IDP league, you could break things out even further. Hell, you could double things, and allow owners to decide how much of their auction funds they'd want to allocate on the Offensive side and separately on the IDP side. So 2 pick auctions, 4 rookie drafts, and 2 veteran auctions.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:51 pm

I'm intrigued.

Question: Did you consider the possibility of trading money (I guess up to $85) in the off-season?
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:41 pm

moishetreats wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:51 pm Question: Did you consider the possibility of trading money (I guess up to $85) in the off-season?
I did realize that by doing away with the traditional method of allocating draft picks (i.e. finishing order), it prevents teams from trading future draft picks during the current season (one of the best aspects of dynasty football). However, your suggestion would to go some way (not all the way) to addressing that issue. And I absolutely love the fact that you suggested $85m, cuz it means that a team could give away all it's auction capital (if it turns out to be the champion).

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:39 am

This is a minor point, but if you’re going to start the snake draft with the fourth round, you should have an odd number of draft rounds/roster spots, like 19 or 21. Otherwise, whoever gets 4.01 will also get the first pick in the 20th (and final) round, which creates a slight imbalance. Or if you want to stick with 20 roster spots, just have the snake portion start in the 3rd round.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:49 pm

Bump for skip.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:48 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:29 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:18 pmAnd many would also agree that a full-blown start-up auction is not nearly as much fun as a start-up draft.
This is new. I'm sure there's someone out there, but I haven't met anyone that prefers a startup draft over an auction.

If you must do a draft, that suggestion to auction off the top picks is better than a straight draft.
agreed after I did an auction start up, hard to go back to draft start ups... the ability to get anyone you want, is great

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:49 am

moishetreats wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:08 pm Year 1 of the league is NOT your start-up. It is a one-year redraft league done by total points. Standings determine the right to select your spot in the inaugural dynasty draft.
Am i the only one that thinks is beyond brilliant?

Maybe i’ve listened to too many DLF podcasts, and Scott Fish and Ryan McDowell are unduly influencing my thinking...but at this point (2018) i am absolutely shocked to find dynasty players that prefer drafts to auctions.

The logistics are a challenge but for me: anything that can be a live auction should be a live auction. There is nothing like it.

Pepsi. Moss. Payton.

(Honestly its not even close between Emmit and Sweetness...Jim Brown would be a more challenging decision)
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:06 am

Goirish374 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:49 am
moishetreats wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:08 pm Year 1 of the league is NOT your start-up. It is a one-year redraft league done by total points. Standings determine the right to select your spot in the inaugural dynasty draft.
Am i the only one that thinks is beyond brilliant?

Maybe i’ve listened to too many DLF podcasts, and Scott Fish and Ryan McDowell are unduly influencing my thinking...but at this point (2018) i am absolutely shocked to find dynasty players that prefer drafts to auctions.

The logistics are a challenge but for me: anything that can be a live auction should be a live auction. There is nothing like it.

Pepsi. Moss. Payton.

(Honestly its not even close between Emmit and Sweetness...Jim Brown would be a more challenging decision)
Yes, this is another option for those who think a random dice-roll just isn't up to par. Also think that the impact of a dice roll on a redraft season isn't as consequential as on a dynasty start-up. Especially if the redraft draft is a snaking draft, which it should be. Have al

NorCal79
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby NorCal79 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:59 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:41 pm
moishetreats wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:51 pm Question: Did you consider the possibility of trading money (I guess up to $85) in the off-season?
I did realize that by doing away with the traditional method of allocating draft picks (i.e. finishing order), it prevents teams from trading future draft picks during the current season (one of the best aspects of dynasty football). However, your suggestion would to go some way (not all the way) to addressing that issue. And I absolutely love the fact that you suggested $85m, cuz it means that a team could give away all it's auction capital (if it turns out to be the champion).
If 2019 is your redraft season and 2020 is the inaugural dynasty year what if you also auctioned off 2021’s rookie picks so the league could still trade future draft picks? You could still do the rookie pick auction after every season it would just be for the following years draft. After 2020 bid on 2022 picks, after 2021 bid on 2023 picks and so on. Just a thought but I really do like your idea.
10 team dynasty league PPR 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1DEF/1K/1RBWRTE FLEX
$600M Salary Cap

QB: Murray, Ryan
RB: McCaffrey, David Johnson, Aaron Jones, Michel, J. Howard
WR: Julio, Godwin, Sutton, Marvin Jones, Hilton, DeMarcus Robinson, Preston Williams
TE: Kittle, Hooper, Oliver
K: Zuerlien
DEF: Pittsburgh

2021 Picks: 1, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6

2019 Champion

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:41 pm

skip wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:02 pm
Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:29 pm I'm sure there's someone out there, but I haven't met anyone that prefers a startup draft over an auction.
I haven't done an auction league in 20 years. There is an appeal to both. At this point, I prefer drafting.

It's like saying you haven't met anyone who prefers non-PPR.
I prefer non-ppr (which used to be “standard”). If you want to award more than yards and scores, awarding ppfd is alright with me.