What's your view on handcuffs?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What's your view on handcuffs?

Postby hockeyBjj » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:18 am

Curious the forum's thoughts on having an RB's backup provided deep enough rosters. Worth it so that the injury bug bite it's more of a nibble than ER inducing? Waste of bench space when you could have better fliers for that? Very specific cases?

One guys RBs in my 10 team league are Hunt/Ware, Howard/Cohen, D Henry/Lewis, Miller/Foreman, and R Freeman/Booker lol. Every single back is paired up

I personally have L Murray, whom I bought for a 3rd last year once Cook went down, and am holding him again as he's shown he can do RB2 numbers in the young gun's absence. I have Gallman as part of a deal when I acquired Barkley, but he'll most likely be cut once I have to roster Taxi players
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Fantasyfanatic11
All Pro
All Pro

Re: What's your view on handcuffs?

Postby Fantasyfanatic11 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:57 am

Only roster the handcuffs who are clearly the #2 guy and/or are still valuable regardless if the #1 RB gets hurt or not.

For example: Dion Lewis, Tarik Cohen, Tevin Coleman, Gio Bernard. All these handcuffs still have value and are productive regardless if the #1 RB is healthy or not.
16 team PPR
QB: Herbert Purdy Garoppolo Winston
RB: Chubb Bijan Kamara White Singletary Gainwell CEH Penny
WR: Cooper Moore Dotson Beckham Mooney Mingo Renfrow
TE: LaPorta Kittle Waller

16 Team PPR
QB: Herbert
RB: A.Jones Elliott Spears Gainwell Fournette
WR: Kupp Olave M.Williams Flowers OBJ Dotson Johnston Palmer Claypool
TE: LaPorta Schultz Njoku

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:58 am

I like having a few handcuffs for premier players, you know they will have immediate value once the star gets hurt, and 9/10 you can flip them to the owner who is desperate.

handcuffs for RB and TE, not so much for WR.

worst case you get a top producer

having 1-2 is fine, anything more is over kill IMO
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:11 am

If your roster is able to have a deep bench, then handcuffing may work out just fine. However, if your bench spots are limited, you may really be hindering yourself.

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:31 am

Ask everyone who handcuffed Darren McFadden during Zekes suspension, outside of a few guys, Gio, Tevin Coleman types, handcuffs are usually worth next to nothing.
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

ajpmn01
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ajpmn01 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 am

I saw the subject line and immediately thought, "Uh-oh, did someone mix up their S&M and FF forums?"

Seriously though, I think handcuffs are worthless in redraft and only slightly more valuable in dynasty. If I can pick up a talented backup without reaching too far, I'll do it, but that rarely seems to happen.

I like to think i pick up free agent and rookies based on talent, regardless of their status. Two great examples this year are Chase Edmonds and John Kelly. Both are backups to great RBs, but you can see something happening at some point if you have the space to stash them. All the better if you own Gurley or DJ. Although they would be effective handcuffs, they also have value in their own right.

ajpmn01
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ajpmn01 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:38 am

Fantasyfanatic11 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:57 am Only roster the handcuffs who are clearly the #2 guy and/or are still valuable regardless if the #1 RB gets hurt or not.

For example: Dion Lewis, Tarik Cohen, Tevin Coleman, Gio Bernard. All these handcuffs still have value and are productive regardless if the #1 RB is healthy or not.
These are great examples of veteran handcuffs that are worth it

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:47 am

ajpmn01 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 am I saw the subject line and immediately thought, "Uh-oh, did someone mix up their S&M and FF forums?"

Seriously though, I think handcuffs are worthless in redraft and only slightly more valuable in dynasty. If I can pick up a talented backup without reaching too far, I'll do it, but that rarely seems to happen.

I like to think i pick up free agent and rookies based on talent, regardless of their status. Two great examples this year are Chase Edmonds and John Kelly. Both are backups to great RBs, but you can see something happening at some point if you have the space to stash them. All the better if you own Gurley or DJ. Although they would be effective handcuffs, they also have value in their own right.
read the 1st sentence and thought oh no where is cazzie 33 going with this one and then boom it was someone else
generally handcuffing is
https://misogynisticalbumcovers.wordpre ... ted-vices/

PICK
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:49 am

I personally do not bother with "handcuffs".
For example - I have Devonta Freeman in one of my leagues, I will not be going out of my way to try to add Tevin Coleman.

I may aim for a #2 that has receiving upside because they have a chance of standalone value.
In dynasty - I have a hard time coughing up value just to get a handcuff which could easily change. Most of the perceived "handcuffs" are not great value on their own and not worth holding roster spots "just in case" your starter gets injured.

Same type of idea with rostering back-up QBs in a Superflex. Unless I believe in the skills of the back-up specifically (ie. think he could start somewhere else one day), I won't bother.

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:00 am

I only want handcuffs that I think are able to be the guy if given the chance. There's plenty of lines out there that can make a below average RB look good, I dont want those guys. I want the guys that if the guy in front of them leaves in FA or gets hurt, their team won't be looking for a new starter because they already have the next guy. Guys like that: Kenyan Drake and Alex Collins were guys that I hit on. Guys I'm waiting on are: James Conner, John Kelly, D'onta Foreman (injury concern), Jonathan Williams, Kalen Ballage, Matt Breida, and Elijah McGuire. They may not all hit, you might think I'm dumb for thinking they could become a true bell cow, but you can look at my rosters and see that I've tried to get them where I can so I'm putting my money where my mouth is. The one thing nice about getting guys that could take over when you have the guy in front of them is that when the guy leaves in FA, now you have two starting RBs.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:01 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:47 am
ajpmn01 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 am I saw the subject line and immediately thought, "Uh-oh, did someone mix up their S&M and FF forums?"

read the 1st sentence and thought oh no where is cazzie 33 going with this one and then boom it was someone else
generally handcuffing is
https://misogynisticalbumcovers.wordpre ... ted-vices/

PICK
I would've beaten you to it but let's just say ; " I was a little tied up" over the holiday :oops: Finally pulled off a Houdini act and snuck out and got the Hell out of there :shh:

As for the practice of using handcuffs I find them too restrictive. Rather not be tied up at any position . Not trying to settle on 2nds , but sometimes it hinges on opportunity to hit it ...BIGLY . Prefer to free up the roster spots.

Speaking of being unhinged that wild woman is @ the door. I gotta go :surprised:

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:00 am

More of a redraft focus, but points mentioned here and in the article natch- https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/07/sho ... -football/
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

tombonneau
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby tombonneau » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:09 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:00 am More of a redraft focus, but points mentioned here and in the article natch- https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/07/sho ... -football/
Very good article. A little light on backing up with numbers - didn't check the other article it sourced which sounded like it had she statistical meat on the bone - but strategically it makes a lot of sense and is why I don't really handcuff in dynasty.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:37 am

solid article, however the mentioned Zeke when he was suspended and used Morris as the example of why you shouldn't handcuff.

Granted the odds if them producing similar to the person are more than likely not to.

I still believe handcuffing your stud or a chance to obtain the handcuffs could be an Xfactor to give you an edge

Think a few years back when Bell was out during to suspension I believe, DeAngelo William's crushed it, was putting RB1 #s up.

That's a pretty solid flex.

That would be best case scenario, and personally I think it's worth a shot to ge something like that for free.

worst case you have a guy you can drop for another in the FA for free.

I dont think you should be trading for handcuffs, I think that's foolish, but if their is someone on the FA who is there, sure worth holding on to.
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

tombonneau
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby tombonneau » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:44 am

joeya2001 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:37 am solid article, however the mentioned Zeke when he was suspended and used Morris as the example of why you shouldn't handcuff.

Granted the odds if them producing similar to the person are more than likely not to.

I still believe handcuffing your stud or a chance to obtain the handcuffs could be an Xfactor to give you an edge

Think a few years back when Bell was out during to suspension I believe, DeAngelo William's crushed it, was putting RB1 #s up.

That's a pretty solid flex.

That would be best case scenario, and personally I think it's worth a shot to ge something like that for free.

worst case you have a guy you can drop for another in the FA for free.

I dont think you should be trading for handcuffs, I think that's foolish, but if their is someone on the FA who is there, sure worth holding on to.
Problem is we don't always know and/or the player/position is now worthless. Look at DJ last year. God help any owner who was trying to McGuyver a handcuff tourniquet with that motley Crew.

Or Gurley this year. Is it Brown, Kelly or a combo? As a Gurley dynasty owner, j have mild interest in Kelly, but that's more as a long term prospect than as a handcuff.

You cite Bell and Deangelo. That one worked out, but everyone knew Denagelo was he clear cuff. A proven vet with a similar style. But what about this year? Do I own Conner, Samuel, both?

I think the only duos in 2018 with owning are the obvious ones where the other back has legit flex appeal. Falcons, Saints, Panthers.

But for the rare three down back teams it's a bit murkier:

Rams - probably a Brown/Kelly platter
Steelers - Conner & Samuel?
Chargers - ekeler and parts
Cardinals - saw this movie last year
Raiders - basically the 2016 backfield
Bills - logic says Ivory but with Cadet and Taiwan Jones (best name ever?) not so sure
Chiefs - 2017 charcandrik west holders will attest to it being hard to know who the handcuff is
Giants - Stewart seems logically but Gallman and Perkins are still lurking
Dallas - see 2017
Bears - Cohen maybe steps up more, but
Vikings - see Dallas

Of those I don't think there is anyone worth holding as a pure handcuff, I.e. unstartable barring injury to starter. Maybe Stewart? Ivory? But even they are not sure things IMO and hold little dynasty value outside potential current year injury policy that may or may not pay out of you have to make a claim.