Fantasy Football and the 18-Game Schedule

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Fantasy Football and the 18-Game Schedule

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:06 pm

There have been various reports citing the NFL moving to an 18-game schedule. It may or may not happen. If the 18-game regular season schedule is implemented (likely at the expense of a pair of pre-season games), how do you think it impacts Dynasty Fantasy Football and what NFL teams do to account for injuries and the additional snaps of two more games?
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Fantasy Football and the 18-Game Schedule

Postby seahawks506 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:46 pm

I wonder how fantasy football in general would have to adapt to an increasingly RBBC type situation, where RB's taking the lion's share of the carries will be increasingly rare. Would it be possible that almost all backfields will look like Miami/San Diego (this year) /Carolina?
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

cowboy82nd
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby cowboy82nd » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:48 pm

There were reports that IF (and that's a big if) the league does go to an 18 game schedule, the rosters will expand. So, I would except that dynasty league rosters to expand as well.

bobbytheo3
Starter
Starter

Postby bobbytheo3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:57 am

In my league, we have already discussed some changes. If the NFL went to 18 games but kept only 1 bye week (for 19 total weeks), we would expand from a 13 to 14 week regular season, and then our normal 3 week play-off. This would mean 2 non-fantasy weeks at the end of the year instead of 1 now. Also, we would make our IR unlimited for players on your team that go on IR. Right now we are limited at 2 IR spots.

If the league adds 2 games AND a bye, I'm not sure what we'd do. Maybe just add a 15th regular season game.
___________________ is without a doubt the Fantasy Football guru of Philadelphia.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:19 pm

The league has apparently given the NFLPA two expanded season proposals, check out the link below.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -16-and-2/

I think 18 games would actually be pretty cool, but tough on the players. Removing the preseason or reducing it would be great. What a waste of a month of time.

I also think the RBBC will be evermore popular and teams will not be content to have a sub-par backup, but rather a starting caliber backup - and won't have to rely on the already near-extinct 'workhorse back'. I can see teams having 2 or 3 smaller, faster runners in some schemes that are interchangeable.

Makes me think Philly is preparing: they have two starting caliber QBs (!) and McCoy and Harrison are a close match in skillset for their scheme.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:04 am

Misfit74 wrote:The league has apparently given the NFLPA two expanded season proposals, check out the link below.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -16-and-2/

I think 18 games would actually be pretty cool, but tough on the players. Removing the preseason or reducing it would be great. What a waste of a month of time.

I also think the RBBC will be evermore popular and teams will not be content to have a sub-par backup, but rather a starting caliber backup - and won't have to rely on the already near-extinct 'workhorse back'. I can see teams having 2 or 3 smaller, faster runners in some schemes that are interchangeable.

Makes me think Philly is preparing: they have two starting caliber QBs (!) and McCoy and Harrison are a close match in skillset for their scheme.
For sure! The RBBC will be more prevelant than ever, and that is why I think WRs are going to be more valuable in the FF realm going forward. If the NFL does indeed expand the regular season, a running back will only need 55 yards a game to get to 1000, and I think several teams will end up with tandems of 1000 yard rushers, meaning that there will be more options of startable FF RBs, but the ability to build your team around a workhorse in FF will diminish. I have said it before in an older thread, but I could see PPC (points per carry) sneaking into more and more fantasy leagues to bolster the value of RBs , similar to the way PPR did for WRs.

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:01 pm

In terms of FF scheduling... why not keep the FF season like it is right now? Let the NFL have its 18-season.. but keep the FF season at 16.

I guess we only really know once we´ve seen a couple of 18-game seasons.
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11