Narratives most likely to Flip this Season

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: Narratives most likely to Flip this Season

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:06 am

knotts4372 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:25 pm narrative: jordan howard cant catch the ball out the backfield and will be replaced by tarik cohen because of it

reality: jordan howard gets his customary 250-300 touches and finishes as a top 7 rb
Howard must have some dropped passes in his history. In the games I've watched, he catches fine. Seems that while hasn't been USED as a pass catcher, he can be a three down back if they choose to use him that way.

On the other hand, if I had Cohen on my offense, I'd be trying to get him the ball too. He's electric. I'd make him a slot receiver who gets some run & gadget plays.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:25 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:06 am
knotts4372 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:25 pm narrative: jordan howard cant catch the ball out the backfield and will be replaced by tarik cohen because of it

reality: jordan howard gets his customary 250-300 touches and finishes as a top 7 rb
Howard must have some dropped passes in his history. In the games I've watched, he catches fine. Seems that while hasn't been USED as a pass catcher, he can be a three down back if they choose to use him that way.

On the other hand, if I had Cohen on my offense, I'd be trying to get him the ball too. He's electric. I'd make him a slot receiver who gets some run & gadget plays.
Howard has dropped more passes than any RB in the nfl the past 2 seasons. So it’s not really a narrative but more fact that Howard has bricks for hands.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:49 am

Phaded wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:25 pm
GridironGuerilla wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:26 pm Yet another thread that can be clearly divided into two camps... those who have and those who do not. Lol
Meh I dunno about that. I posted about Barkley and I have him in one of my two leagues. I am just more realistic about my expectations.
I was being a bit tongue in cheek and speaking from a sort of "truth in jest" angle. I also remain a bit more realistic in my projections for Barkley than most it would seem and I've managed to acquire a few shares and flipped one of them. I'm not one of the guys who's expecting to have an top 3 RB season his rookie year and we both know if he doesn't there's gonna be a lot of "I told you so" flying around threads in here. I think it's likely going to take more than a single season to decide whether or not he is a bust, so color me patient. That being said, I don't think it's an absurd notion to imagine that most of the people projecting "bust" don't have any shares and that they might have a slightly different projection if they did. :wink:

skip wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:35 am
GridironGuerilla wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:26 pm Yet another thread that can be clearly divided into two camps... those who have and those who do not. Lol
So do you only like players you own? Or do you own players you like? I find the latter scenario the most likely.
I agree, people do tend to own players they like, but the former tends to work itself into the mix for dynasty owners as well. Players like Barkley aren't guys you can just own becasue you like them. Sure, the more leagues you are in, the better your chances, but there's only 1 per league ( that I'm in anyway) and he's not exactly an easy guy to acquire. I've seen people firsthand this off season change their tunes as soon a they were able to finagle a share. I've also seen guys that are... well, a little jealous and I'm sure a LITTLE of that works it's way into threads like this.

Ultimately though guys, I'm just having a little fun with it. My comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Great thread.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:02 pm

Bot101 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:25 am Howard has dropped more passes than any RB in the nfl the past 2 seasons. So it’s not really a narrative but more fact that Howard has bricks for hands.
Dropped passes have never been a very good measure of a player's skills and often are largely overblown in the same way that a QB gets credited with an INT when a defender catches the football, regardless of the circumstances. "Dropped" does not always mean the ball was catchable, at least not easily. We'll see what 2018 has in store, but if Nagy is smart he'll use Howard a lot more in passing situations just to keep the defense honest. We pretty much know that with Cohen in the backfield, the play is going to be a pass more often than not.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Well then I will trust my eyes. Howard is really bad at catching the football.

TTHTD
Captain
Captain

Postby TTHTD » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:55 pm

ImaRounder wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:30 pm Narrative: penny is seattles savior at rb.

Reality: carson holds the job and seattles continues their landslide into irrelevance because they wasted a first round pick on a rb instead of the line or defense.
Pretty sure the prevailing narrative is the latter atm. People are loving them some Carson OTA hype and Penny is the rookie to dump on for some reason

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:29 pm

TTHTD wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:55 pm
ImaRounder wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:30 pm Narrative: penny is seattles savior at rb.

Reality: carson holds the job and seattles continues their landslide into irrelevance because they wasted a first round pick on a rb instead of the line or defense.
Pretty sure the prevailing narrative is the latter atm. People are loving them some Carson OTA hype and Penny is the rookie to dump on for some reason
Where are you seeing that? Many of the members of this board have crowned Penny the #2 back from this class and a sure fire 3 down back... Aside from a couple of Carson owners, I've not observed anyone who thinks he's starter material.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

bkfakefootball
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bkfakefootball » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:12 am

skip wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:29 pm

Where are you seeing that? Many of the members of this board have crowned Penny the #2 back from this class and a sure fire 3 down back... Aside from a couple of Carson owners, I've not observed anyone who thinks he's starter material.
I’ve been seeing it posted a few places.. could be coach speak of course. Penny definitely has the draft capital but this could end up way more of a committee backfield during the season despite what Penny owners want to think.
Team 1 Rebuild
14 Team PPR Dynasty - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 Flex, DSP 1.5PPR TE's

QB - R.Wilson, A.Dalton
RB - S.Barkley, M.Mack, CJ. Anderson, C. Thompson, P. Barber, C. Edmonds, R. Smith, W. Gallman, Qadree Ollison, B. Hill, C. Thompson
WR - Dede.Westbrook, P.Campbell, David Moore. K.Cole, P. Richardson, G. Allison, MV-Scantling, Deebo.Samuel,
Tre'Quan.Smith, Gary.Jennings

TE - T. Burton, J. Graham, G. Everett, Kahale Warring
DEF - Bears

2020, 1st, 2nd
2021, 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Team 2 Startup
12 Team .5 PPR Dynasty - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, DEF & K

QB - J. Winston, M. Trubisky, T. Bridgwater, Dwayne Haskins
RB - D. Johnson, P. Lindsay, R. Freeman, L. Miller, D. Foreman, Miles.Sanders, C.J.Anderson, T. Riddick,
C. Edmonds
WR - A. Cooper, S. Diggs, M. Jones, J. Crowder, C. Godwin, C. Kirk, JJ.A-Whiteside, J.Reynolds, C. Meredith
TE - G. Olsen, V. McDonald, I. Thomas, J. Thomas
DEF - Baltimore
K- R. Gould

Picks
2019 - (1.05, 2.08, 3.05, 4.08 )
2020 - (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th )

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:08 am

Pretty sure the prevailing narrative is the latter atm. People are loving them some Carson OTA hype and Penny is the rookie to 46 dump on for some reason
I am one who had Penny rated #2 RB in this draft. Think he has stud potential in a very strong RB class this year. Some have mentioned they like others better but I haven't really seen too much negative press other than Seattle's line.

One key stat I like to look at for RB's is yards after contact or behind the line of scrimmage.

Penny ranked #1 of 58 in this category according to PFF with 3.32 Yards per carry after contract. Barkley who is consensus #1 RB in this class ranked an alarming 57 of 58 with 0.46 yards per carry after contact. Additionally, Penny also led PFF's elusive category in college football breaking 80 tackles on the ground, 20 more than the next closest.

Here is a good article article on Penny from March, well before the NFL draft.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/d ... und-talent
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:06 am

I don’t own him anywhere and I won’t be surprised if he’s starting.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:29 am

I think people need to realize that a lot of the players mentioned on here have two "narratives." Some think X player is a stud and that's their narrative, while others think the same player is a bum and that's their narrative.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:47 am

Valhalla wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:06 am

I'd be about as surprised as if Perine started in Washington. Probably more. Seattle's coach and GM planted their flag with the Penny pick. I can't imagine he doesn't start over a 7th round RB. Now granted, I am a Penny guy, but part of the reason I am is because of Schneider/Carrol's obvious belief in Penny as their starting RB for many years.

I guess it's like Goddard stated above. LOL
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:55 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:47 am
Valhalla wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:06 am

I'd be about as surprised as if Perine started in Washington. Probably more. Seattle's coach and GM planted their flag with the Penny pick. I can't imagine he doesn't start over a 7th round RB. Now granted, I am a Penny guy, but part of the reason I am is because of Schneider/Carrol's obvious belief in Penny as their starting RB for many years.

I guess it's like Goddard stated above. LOL

All of this for me. I know he’s had his share of misses, like any GM, but I like Scneiders track record of drafting. All of the RBs on the board besides Barkley and they took Penny, so that goes a long way for me.

TTHTD
Captain
Captain

Postby TTHTD » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:10 am

I paid a lot for Penny so I'm obviously biased and want him to succeed, but he really seems to be the rookie that gets the most flak atm. No other rookie is getting talked about being being beaten out by their competition like he is. There was even an article recently with a beat reporter anointing Carson as the lead back to start the season with Penny making a fine '3rd down and 2 minute' back smh...

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/16 ... season.php

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:21 am

To Goddard's point, there are two sides to every narrative, however, this is a narrative coming straight from the coach's mouth.

Narrative: The GB back field will be a RBBC, but he's willing to give it to the top dog if one reveals itself.

Reality: Williams is the one that becomes the top dog. TyMo sees the field often as a RB and WR. Jones is more of the 3rd down back used to spell Williams.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5